Anyone a member of MOPS?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
thepburn's Avatar Veteran
Do any of you guys belong to MOPS (Moms of Preschoolers)? I've been thinking about joining this organization at another church, but wanted to see what those that are a part of this thought about it.
January 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was for one meeting but my ds was not having the childcare and I thought there were not enough helpers.

Now he is much better at the whole Sunday school thing, so I am going to start back up again this month hopefully.

I really like it. My friend helps run it here and they recently had the police come in and talk about car seat safety and checked everyones car seats for free and taught a class on changing a tire.

Since she is one of the gals in charge, I know how hard she works at making sure the childcare is up to snuff and the church it is located at is really nice so I am looking forward to it. I have been getting cabin fever lately!!!
<div align="center"></div>
January 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
The only MOPS group in my area was not as Christian friendly as I expected. They danced around God during the devotionals as though they were afraid of offending someone, and there were some scheduled activities that I would not take a part in because they were not inline with my Christian beliefs.....It seemed more like a place to complain about our husbands.....I did not care for that either.

But now I have heard fabulous things about the group in the next city to me, I have been considering going to that...but I have to wait until there is a spot in their daycare open.

January 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Mommy2twogirls
I've been thinking about it too.... all my friends are in it. I just don't have ANY money ... but I might do it when we move to VA. That way, I can meet some Christian friends easier..
January 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have anything like that where I live. Heck, I'm just happy if there is one other preschooler for my daughter to play with in the nursery at church!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The only MOPS group in my area was not as Christian friendly as I expected. They danced around God during the devotionals as though they were afraid of offending someone, and there were some scheduled activities that I would not take a part in because they were not inline with my Christian beliefs.....It seemed more like a place to complain about our husbands.....I did not care for that either.

But now I have heard fabulous things about the group in the next city to me, I have been considering going to that...but I have to wait until there is a spot in their daycare open.[/b]
Wow, I am suprised to hear that. Ours is TOTALLY God and prayer and devotional based. I remember wanting to talk more about the struggles of mommyhood. Interesting.
January 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I don't know of any MOPS around my area. My church is big but doesnt' have a program like that.

January 6th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
Quote:
Quote:

But now I have heard fabulous things about the group in the next city to me, I have been considering going to that...but I have to wait until there is a spot in their daycare open.[/b]
Wow, I am suprised to hear that. Ours is TOTALLY God and prayer and devotional based. I remember wanting to talk more about the struggles of mommyhood. Interesting.
[/b]
Yes I was suprised myself. In fact, I had even talked to my Pastor about it and so my Pastor's wife came along with me, and she was appalled.

This is a church that celebrates halloween, now I know we have already all had a discussion on halloween, but I think that most of us would agree that the scariness of halloween, skeletons, ghosts, goblins do not belong in the church decorations right? Well they are in that church....there was also a hypnosis person that came.....

I remember the first time I went I called ahead of time and asked if I needed to bring my Bible or what, and when she said no that it was not that kind of a group, I asked her if this was a Christian based group and she said well, I guess you could call it that, but all faiths are welcome and we do not come straight out and talk about God in a way that would be offensive. Anyone can be comfortable to come to this....I was a little disgruntled, but so hungry for interaction with other moms...so I went a couple of times before I finally said enough was enough...

But now I am more motivated to go to the one in the next city now that we are talking about this....I want to find a good group.

January 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Lydata's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lydata
I have a few near me, but I can't go because of school
<div align="center">Madeline410 (JM board)</div>
January 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Yes I was suprised myself. In fact, I had even talked to my Pastor about it and so my Pastor's wife came along with me, and she was appalled.

This is a church that celebrates halloween, now I know we have already all had a discussion on halloween, but I think that most of us would agree that the scariness of halloween, skeletons, ghosts, goblins do not belong in the church decorations right? Well they are in that church....there was also a hypnosis person that came.....

I remember the first time I went I called ahead of time and asked if I needed to bring my Bible or what, and when she said no that it was not that kind of a group, I asked her if this was a Christian based group and she said well, I guess you could call it that, but all faiths are welcome and we do not come straight out and talk about God in a way that would be offensive. Anyone can be comfortable to come to this....I was a little disgruntled, but so hungry for interaction with other moms...so I went a couple of times before I finally said enough was enough...

But now I am more motivated to go to the one in the next city now that we are talking about this....I want to find a good group.
[/b]

Here, check it out. Sounds like that group in your area has made some pretty liberal changes to what MOPS actually is.. http://www.mops.org/
January 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is my experience with MOPS. We have many MOPS in our small area. I started attending a MOPS back in 1994 when my girls were little. It was a little different back then but I still loved it. I stopped when the oldest was in school. I started up again when my youngest was born. I loved the fellowship with the women. I made such great friends. When I went last time I was a small group leader and they all blessed me so much. I may have been a small group leader but these women blessed me. We prayed and encouraged each other.

When my first child was born in 1988 I felt so alone. I wasn't a Christian at the time. My dh worked or was never home. I so could have used something like this. I struggled with depression feeling like I was all alone raising my very strong willed child. I remember trying to wean my oldest son from nursing. I was at a MOPS and he was just didn't want to give it up. This mom that had 8 children at the time sat and talked with me about it. She helped me so much.

I praise God for MOPS. My oldest daughter went from being a MOPPETT to a helper to a teacher and I am sure one day a mom at MOPS. My other older ones have been helpers and loved it. I hope to go back soon.

I do agree that you have to check it out. It is a great program and there are so many moms out there both saved and unsaved that feel alone raising their children. But you do need to check out the group. It depends on who runs it. I stopped going to the last place because the leader and I didn't see things on the same level. One thing was, she didn't like the idea that nursing babies stay with their mom's and I felt differently. Like someone said some brush over God to reach more women. That isn't good either.

Thanks for letting me share. Sorry it got so long.

January 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love MOPS! I have had only good expreriences with them. I went to one group for about a year and then another when we moved. Both were very Christian based. They do allow any denomination, but don't try to downplay the fact that it IS a proud Christian group. I am actually part of the steering team this year. We try so hard to do what God is leading us to do with the group and for the women in it. It has helped me so much, and I have found some of the best friends through this group.

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison
January 8th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Barbi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Barbi
Here in my area we have a lot in our area. I was wanting to join the group at our church but we live about 30-40 minutes from there to get to know more people there. Now I am thinking of joining one that is near our home so the kids and I might be able to meet more people closer to our home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search