Chapter 3- At the Feet of Gamaliel

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
mouse_1203's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. How would you describe Gamaliel, Saul's primary teacher in Jerusalem?

2. How do you imagine Saul felt as he left home to go to Jerusalem?

3. What feelings did the Jews harbor for the city of David?

4. What places have particular spiritual significance for you and your family?

5. What does the torn down wall of partition mean to you?

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter?

7. What are your prayer requests for this week?

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/189e0d" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 29th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
1. How would you describe Gamaliel, Saul's primary teacher in Jerusalem? Wise. Revered. Respected. It seemed everyone knew who he was and held him in high esteem.

2. How do you imagine Saul felt as he left home to go to Jerusalem? He might have wondered what it would be like. Maybe a bit of excitement mingled with a fear of the unknown.

3. What feelings did the Jews harbor for the city of David? They thought it was a holy, magical place. Herod had rebuilt the temple and won favor with the jews, so it was a place that was respected. Certainly one of the best places to send a jew for further training/rabbical seminary.

4. What places have particular spiritual significance for you and your family? I had to think long and hard about this, but I would have to say that it is a church that I went to when I was in my early 20s. Up until then I had gone to church with my parents, and my Dad was the pastor of a very strict baptist church. The many many years of having to go to church all the time, and bible study and prayer meeting was taxing on me and I thought that God was boring. This church definately helped turn that around. Everyone was excited about worshipping God, and it just totally made me see that God is a personal God, and that He isn't boring at all.

5. What does the torn down wall of partition mean to you?
God treats us as equals. He doesn't prefer one of us over the other. Reading about this wall made me think about the 50's and the struggles that people had over black and white. They outlawed the black people and it was such a struggle for them to gain the place that they have in our society today. I remember watching a movie called The Power of One, and it was set around this time period. I was appalled to see that they had separate water fountains at a train depot, one rundown one had a sign that said "blacks only." It just made me think about that - that there was such a vast difference between the way the jews and gentiles were treated in society, yet Jesus loves us all the same, and forgives us for our prejudices.

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? It is neat to read about the background of Paul's life. It is mentioned throughout scripture, but I have never really picked up on it or dwelled on it. That's why I love Beth Moore. She brings it all together so nicely. Now when I see something about Paul's childhood briefly mentioned in the Bible, I can actually envision it!

7. What are your prayer requests for this week? That I would have the energy to do the things I need to do, and that I would have time to rest. For the baby, that it won't come too early and that it will be healthy and strong if it does.

August 30th, 2007, 01:25 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. How would you describe Gamaliel, Saul's primary teacher in Jerusalem? Wise and definitely ahead of his time! I found it particularly interesting that some of the things he said were SO similar to the words of Christ. He must have been an inspired man.

2. How do you imagine Saul felt as he left home to go to Jerusalem? Scared but proud at the same time, I would imagine. He was fulfilling the dreams of his family but he will still so young.

3. What feelings did the Jews harbor for the city of David? Oh, it was totally revered....the center of Jewish learning.

4. What places have particular spiritual significance for you and your family? I would say probably Israel. I have always thought that would be such a cool place to visit and see all the places the Bible talks about. I'm sure there would be something spiritual about visiting there.

5. What does the torn down wall of partition mean to you? That Christ is for EVERYONE! Yay! The Jews were (and are) his chosen people, but he wants us ALL to be his children, no matter what our nationality or background is. "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? It's been fun learning about what Paul's childhood must have been like. It is something I've never given a second thought to.

7. What are your prayer requests for this week? For continued closeness between my husband and I...and that I can fulfill my commitments to him as a good wife

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
1. How would you describe Gamaliel, Saul's primary teacher in Jerusalem? wise, respected

2. How do you imagine Saul felt as he left home to go to Jerusalem? proud

3. What feelings did the Jews harbor for the city of David? reverence

4. What places have particular spiritual significance for you and your family? church is a particularly significant place for our family; a Christian camp in NC is a significant place for me because I was saved as a result of that ministry

5. What does the torn down wall of partition mean to you? I can go directly to God for requests and repentance

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? It has been fascinating.

7. What are your prayer requests for this week? my request was answered- my son had a successful surgery

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
September 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Shaustin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. How would you describe Gamaliel, Saul's primary teacher in Jerusalem? Highly esteemed. He was wise, and very caring.

2. How do you imagine Saul felt as he left home to go to Jerusalem? Proud, anxious, and excited.

3. What feelings did the Jews harbor for the city of David? Complete reverence, deep respect, it was an incredibly special place to them.

4. What places have particular spiritual significance for you and your family? I would have to say church. I have great memories with my family at church.

5. What does the torn down wall of partition mean to you? It means that I have access to God at all times. I can have a personal relationship with Him at all times.

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? It was very interesting. I just can't imagine being 13 and leaving home to go to school away from your family, and I can't imagine as a parent sending your child away for education. It just shows how special Saul was to his father.

7. What are your prayer requests for this week? Continued prayer for my husband.

September 16th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Leigha24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. How would you describe Gamaliel, Saul's primary teacher in Jerusalem? Someone revered by all, an above-average teacher who was so well-known

2. How do you imagine Saul felt as he left home to go to Jerusalem? fear, excitement, nervous, anxious

3. What feelings did the Jews harbor for the city of David? That was "their" city. All of Paul's life he heard about it from his father. They upheld Jerusalem as a great and unsurpassed city.

4. What places have particular spiritual significance for you and your family? Firebrick, Kentucky. My family has some summer homes there where we spent the summers. It is where we still all meet to this day, at least once a year the entire family gets together there.

5. What does the torn down wall of partition mean to you? We have direct access to God. We don't have to go through any man to get to Him. That is amazing that we have all access passes to our Lord.

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? I can relate to being taken to a big city and be caught up in it's awe. The first time my family brought me to Columbus I was mesmorized by the skyscrapers and hussle/bussle of the big city. But as far as being sent there because of the Lord, that wasn't the case with me. But to do something like that would be tremendous.

7. What are your prayer requests for this week? many, but I have a lot of catching up to do in the bible study lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful sig!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search