Chapter 5- Meanwhile in Jerusalem

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM
mouse_1203's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Now that things have calmed down a bit, I can play catch up!

1. What important event occurred in Jerusalem in the years following Saul's assumed departure?

2. Put yourself in the place of the Pharisees of Jesus' day. How would you feel toward John the Baptist and Jesus?

3. Have you ever failed to speak up for Christ because of what you feared your testimony could cost you?

4. In what ways have you experienced "religion gone sour"?

5. In what ways does Satan seek to use self-interest against you?

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter?

7. Any praises to report?

8. Prayer requests for this week?

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/189e0d" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
1. What important event occurred in Jerusalem in the years following Saul's assumed departure?
John the Baptist began preaching.
2. Put yourself in the place of the Pharisees of Jesus' day. How would you feel toward John the Baptist and Jesus?
frightened, threatened, they exposed the Pharisees self-righteousness
3. Have you ever failed to speak up for Christ because of what you feared your testimony could cost you?
yes
4. In what ways have you experienced "religion gone sour"?
I grew up in religion gone sour- people using the Bible to dictate and manipulate
5. In what ways does Satan seek to use self-interest against you?
desire to please others and be accepted
6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter?
Salvation is finished. Sanctification is not. Completion is not. Christ's power to change a person from the inside out is amazing.
7. Any praises to report?
My mom has been going to my sister's church for several weeks now and is thinking about being in a Bible study.
8. Prayer requests for this week?
My sister is due with her 2nd baby any week now. She has been bleeding. Her last baby (4 years ago), the drs had difficulty controlling her bleeding.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
September 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Shaustin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. What important event occurred in Jerusalem in the years following Saul's assumed departure? John the Baptist began preparing the way for Jesus.

2. Put yourself in the place of the Pharisees of Jesus' day. How would you feel toward John the Baptist and Jesus? Angered and frustrated.

3. Have you ever failed to speak up for Christ because of what you feared your testimony could cost you? I've never failed to speak up because of fear of what it might cost me, but I have failed to speak up because of fear of not saying the "right" thing, or not knowing what to say, which I guess is ultimately not speaking up for Christ because I was afraid of what it might cost me...

4. In what ways have you experienced "religion gone sour"? I just feel like many people are so wrapped up in what religion she/he is a part of that they forget that it is all simply about a relationship with Jesus. I have experienced this, as I was raised as a Lutheran, baptized and confirmed as a Lutheran, but shortly after DH and I got married we began attending a non-denominational church that really re-ignited our passion for Jesus. Sadly, some members of our old church do not agree with the choices we have made in going to a different, non-Lutheran church, and that is disheartening to me because I'm seek out a personal relationship with my Father and I don't think that has anything to do with religion.

5. In what ways does Satan seek to use self-interest against you? In many ways. I have a tendency to be selfish at times, its something I struggle with often, but prayerfully each day I do get better, but it takes a great effort on my part.

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? Another very interesting chapter...it has me very excited to keep on reading to see Paul's transformation, if he can be transformed...so can I!!

7. Any praises to report? Same as the praises posted in Chap. 4.

8. Prayer requests for this week? That Justin and I would be able to continue to stick to our budget so that our minds do not have to be filled up with worries about finances. Also, that we would experience great learning about Jesus in the new class we are starting at our church tomorrow night!!

September 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay! I'm caught up now!

1. What important event occurred in Jerusalem in the years following Saul's assumed departure? John the Baptist started his ministry of preparing the way for Christ.

2. Put yourself in the place of the Pharisees of Jesus' day. How would you feel toward John the Baptist and Jesus? Probably like he was invading their territory and who the heck did this guy think he was? Here's this backwoodsy guy claiming he knows who the messiah is going to be when the Pharisees have much book learning and experience with religion.

3. Have you ever failed to speak up for Christ because of what you feared your testimony could cost you? Oh, I'm sure I have. I would witness to my friends when I was in high school and college, but I'm sure I've let things slide so as not to offend them. I KNOW I've done this with Wes's family. I have to really try hard to speak up when it's necessary.

4. In what ways have you experienced "religion gone sour"? Well, when we found out a man in church wasn't who he said he was and was really running from the law. He would bad-mouth the Mormons to high heaven and yet we had no idea about his past. It freaked me out when we found out that the cops had come and extridited him back to Texas to face attempted murder charges when while he was here, he pretended to be some great Christian man. Blech!

5. In what ways does Satan seek to use self-interest against you? Of the things Beth Moore listed, I would say that attention seeking would be my weakness. I hate to say that about myself, but maybe we all do it to some extent. I really don't want to be that way. It's not Godly and I need to wipe it completely out of my life.

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? It was good. I'm excited to get more into my Bible in part 2!

7. Any praises to report? My marriage is really good lately. Maybe I'm finally growing up enough to let my husband be the man God is trying to make him into without my interference.

8. Prayer requests for this week? Again, for Reagan. She is still a very sick little baby. She has been sick with a very high fever for 10 days now and it's getting scary. Pray for her doctors appointment today that the doctor will know what to do for her.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Leigha24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. What important event occurred in Jerusalem in the years following Saul's assumed departure? John the Baptist was paving the way for Jesus

2. Put yourself in the place of the Pharisees of Jesus' day. How would you feel toward John the Baptist and Jesus? They had totally radical ideas. Most of which went against anything the Pharisees held dear. They were seen as threats. The Pharisees must've thought that John and Jesus were absurd.

3. Have you ever failed to speak up for Christ because of what you feared your testimony could cost you? There are times I refrain just because I know that with that particular person, it might be awkward. I need to get the strength to just bring it all out there.

4. In what ways have you experienced "religion gone sour"? I was raised Catholic, and for me, I knew from a young age it didn't feel right for me. I felt like I spent so much time doing "things" to stay right with God, that I never really communicated with Him.

5. In what ways does Satan seek to use self-interest against you? I've been so much more concerned with things I want and need, than God. At least, recently I've been so concerned with getting pregnant, I've been disregarding everything else.

6. What are your overall thoughts on this chapter? This chapter really spoke to me, I related to it more than any other chapter so far.

7. Any praises to report? I'm alive, and my friends and family are doing ok.. so there's much praise to report

8. Prayer requests for this week? My husband, and his relationship with God.. I couldn't get him to go to church with me this morning.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful sig!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search