I need some input...

Forum: Birth Moms

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM
melissa.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Katie's mother died of Alzheimer's Disease a few years ago. She was REALLY bad and it eventually killed her. Well, lately, Katie's mother has been showing signs of it as well. I am worried about her health. She is not taking care of herself and is still fighting some slight anorexia. She got down to 98lbs! She doesn't eat and when she does, it is something small like a yogurt or a few bites of something. That is not helping her brain fight off the Alzheimer's.

Well, back in March, when we were there for Katie's birthday... we were sitting at the dinner table the night my parents had to leave. We were trying to plan our next get together. Well, we decided on the week of July the 7th. That they would all come here and we could all have a beach week. We all agreed to it and SOME of us marked our calendars. So, my parents went home and requested the time off work and started to plan it.

So, time got closer and I needed to make my BIG u/s date. I wanted them to all be here for it. Well, I called and asked her mom what date they thought they would be coming in. My parents would be getting here on July 5th. She responded with, "I have a lacrosse camp that week". Keep in mind that SHE is the organizer so SHE planned it for that week... AFTER we had discussed the dates.

So, now, my parents are asking to take Katie and Louie with them here. So we can at least get all of the kids together because they really want to see each other. Well, her dad is VERY protective of her and fears that we will take her. So, we are waiting on his response to the request. Her mom is all for it and wants to say yes.. but obviously, she has to ask her husband too. We even invited him and he "isn't sure". So, we probably wont even know until THAT week if they are even able to come. Now my daughter is under the impression that she will see them in a few weeks. I don't know how I will break it to her if they can't come.

Anyway, so I am really hurt about this. My parents planned a trip across the country and took time off work to be here. They wanted to see ALL of their grandkids at once. I hurt for them more than for me.. I live close, so I can visit more often. They live 2000 miles away and don't get to see them much.

I am just not sure how to handle this... Obviously, I am VERY close to her mother. I am just not sure if it would be appropriate to confront her with this. I really don't want to cross boundaries or do anything that might make them not want me to see them.

I just don't know what to do.. what would you do?

Sorry so long.. thanks for reading if you got this far... this has been bugging me for a month now and I really needed to get it out.

I wanted to add where I was going with the Alzheimer's thing... I think she is showing early signs of it. Should I point that out to her?

I KNOW she forgot and it was not intentional.. but now it has me worried.
June 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
melissa.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, an update is that they are allowing my parents to pick Katie and her brother up to bring them here!! They will be here in two weeks!!!!! YAY!!!!
June 20th, 2008, 09:23 AM
ShanMarie's Avatar Is it spring yet?
YAY!!!! I cant wait to meet her!!!!
Preston-3
Cameron-1

June 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
That is great that it worked out! I am sure that is comforting that they trust you that much!

About the alzheimer's I wouldn't mention it quite yet. Maybe if she continues say something to her husband...

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
I do think it's wonderful that they are allowing your parents to pick up Katie and her brother. I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that... I could see how that would occur in situations like this, but I think it's amazing that you guys are able to work things out and it's so nice that everyone tries to accomodate each other when they can

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search