Kemetic Wheel of the Year Info

Pagan References

For information regarding Holidays, Book of Shadows, Moon Phases, and other interests.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan References LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
This isn't going to be complete right away, but I am going to take the time to make this work as soon as I can, so be patient with me.

In Egypt, there were only three seasons instead of the four that many North Americans are aware of. The three seasons were Flooding (Akhet), Growth or Winter (Peret), and Harvest or Summer (Shemu). Each season was made up of roughly 4 months of 30 days, with each month made up of 3 weeks of 10 days. The Epagomenal days were considered days that were created outside of the traditional year, and were created in Myth in order to give Nut the time to give birth to Her five children - Wesir, Heru, Set, Aset, and Nebt-het. On leap years there is a sixth day added to the list and signifies a special day of peace.

Instead of harvest festivals, most of the Egyptian holidays are in honor of the gifts of the Gods and Goddesses (Ntjr / Ntjru). Each month is dedicated to a Ntjr, and houses a wide variety of both lucky and unlucky days.

The hardest part about the Egyptian wheel of the year is that the wheel is truly cyclical - the holidays do not occur on exactly the same days every year. Also, a hard part is that many cities were more or less independent when it came to celebrating holidays. A few, such as Wep Ronpet (New Years) and the Mysteries of Wesir or Aset Luminous, were celebrated widely because the Ntjr they celebrate were worshiped widely. Others, such as the day Bast comes forth from Bubastis, were only celebrated locally because they had special significance to specific towns and cities. Much like the ancient Greek cities, each Egyptian city was dedicated to specific Ntjr.

Here's a link for some information on specific holidays that members of the Kemetic Orthodox Church honor and celebrate. This was written by Temwaenbast, a dedicant of Bast whom I have actually had a sort-of friendship with. Celebrations and Holidays from Shrine of a Shemsu. I trust her and I know that she's a very active member of the KOC so I know she's got some pretty solid information.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!

Last edited by DistantSun; October 16th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
October 13th, 2009, 04:19 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, great info! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to read more.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

October 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
Update #1 done.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
October 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Tuatha's Avatar Veteran
That is really neat, thank you for sharing the information Cant wait for the other updates.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search