How to Use Herbs

Pagan References

For information regarding Holidays, Book of Shadows, Moon Phases, and other interests.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan References LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Storage
First things first. You have to store your herbs. Keep herbs sealed in a screw lidded container. The best ones are the colored glasses (check your local antique or goodwill store). Store herbs out of the sunlight as this sun will change the chemical properties of the herbs, much like the sun can bleach out clothes.

Preparation
The best way to use herbs is to grind them up your own w/ a mortar and pestle. The best are the ones pharmacists use because they're very coarse on the inside. Don't buy "soft" or wooden because they don't grind well and the wood can keep scents/colors/constituents from previous herbs ground. OR you can just buy the herbs from your whole foods store

Don't boil the herbs in water, as this will cause the chemical mixture in them to change and evaporate. Pour boiling water over the herb and then cover the pan/cup etc. . Use a ceramic pan/pot etc.., NEVER use metal or aluminum as this can cause toxic chemical mixtures. Keep herb covered for about 10-15 minutes.

You will now need to strain her herb. The best way to do this is using cheesecloth or a glass funnel.

HOW to use the herb will be coming shortly!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Since I have a hard time finding colored glass jars in the sizes I need, I use clear glass jars but store them in a cabinet or other dark area.

Also I've read that stored dried herbs should be replaced after 1-2 years depending on the herb and the storage.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

August 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stones* View Post
Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Since I have a hard time finding colored glass jars in the sizes I need, I use clear glass jars but store them in a cabinet or other dark area.

Also I've read that stored dried herbs should be replaced after 1-2 years depending on the herb and the storage.
Storage techniques vary. When bottling your herb, put the date on it w/ tape or something. Each herbs shelf life (and oil life) is different. I'd suggest looking up the shelf life for each one that you're interested in. No one wants an old herb!!!

Do you use baby jars? That's a pretty popular and convenient method!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use canning jars, the sizes vary between 1/2pint to quart jars. I tend to have large amounts of herbs, so I need larger sizes of jars. lol

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search