Sophie

Pagan References

For information regarding Holidays, Book of Shadows, Moon Phases, and other interests.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pagan References LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
FADE IN

INT. DAY. THE DIJON FAMILY LIVINGROOM

Sophie’s voice is a voiceover. The camera shows news paper clippings and news clips of the story, then we see Sophie’s old family home, the photos of her up everywhere, eventually the camera settles on Juliette Binoche she has a photo album packet full of her daughters photos and on the television we are watching the footage that Sophie talks about. The room is untidy and dark, the curtains at the window are drawn. They are a very deep red colour, as is the 3 piece suite but the rest of the room is cream, there is a fireplace and above the fireplace there is a portrait photograph of Sophie smiling, laughing, glowing

SOPHIE
(Voiceover)
My name is Sophie. I was 15. I am now ageless, timeless, vagrant. I lived in Paris. Now I live nowhere. I float. I don’t breathe. I have a body, I have arms and legs. But I don’t walk anymore, instead my feet hang limp.

I used to run. Run so fast I thought my legs would fall off. My mother would watch me and laugh, she would come and lie next to me and we would laugh together. Now she watches those times on the television, on the news, on video. It is film that my father shot at the park. Now that’s all they have.

I died exactly one month before my 16th birthday. I had leukaemia. But I died from a morphine overdose that my mother gave me. I wanted to be free. I wanted to be able to run again and my mother loved me too much to watch me writhe in pain where not even the morphine in its doses could kill the pain I was in. My mother loved me. My mother saved me.

Juliette Binoche gets up and begins to move around the photographs looking and touching as though she is touching her daughter

SANDRINE
My name is Sandrine. I am 40 but I look 85. I only ever had one child. She was beautiful. She had an infectiously happy personality even at her lowest days. She would always smile, she never shed a tear. She was very ill and there was nothing anyone could do for her. She was going to die.

By this point she is moving up a set of stairs toward a closed door that is locked as she gets to it we see her take a key out of her pocket and unlock the door. The room is obviously Sophie’s, it has been kept exactly as she left it. She enters and moves around the room inhaling deeply looking at Sophie’s things and smelling her clothes, eventually she sits on Sophie’s bed. The room is colourful, the walls are a hot pink and a baby pink, she had white netted curtains, her bed in the middle of the room has hot pink linen on it and tit has an old scruffy bear sitting on it next to her pillow, her wardrobe is next to the window, its white but Sophie has painted her name across it and there is a desk the other side with drawings piled high on them, sketch books and pencils. Next to that is a bookcase full of worn out books, all draped with white netting. Her bedside table has a white and pink lamp on it, the book she was reading open at the page she left it

SANDRINE (CONT.)
She loved to smile and laugh and when she could no longer smile through the pain, when she could no longer run as she used to she was ready to go. My daughter, she learnt how to die and in doing so learnt how to live. She appreciated it all, every petal on a daisy, every insect, every joke, every kind word. When she could no longer do this, when we watched her in her bed crippled in pain she asked for my help. As her mother I had to do what was best for my daughter, and allowing her to suffer like that was not the best for her. Sophie was born to be free. When she died she was becoming a prisoner of her own pain.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

INT. DAY. THE DIJON FAMILY LIVING ROOM

The television is on and we can see immediately it is the news – mother being charged with the murder of her daughter and all the details of the case. Pictures of Sandrine and Sophie show up on screen, followed by the footage of Sophie running and the presenter’s voice is over the top of them

Presenter
(Voice over)
Sandrine Dijon has been charged with the murder of her daughter after she died of a morphine overdose. Dijon’s solicitors are saying the charge should be reduced due to her daughter’s illness which most would have killed her in the end. Doctors are saying the end was near for young Sophie. The case is raising talk of euthanasia once more.

The TV goes black and then we see Sandrine holding out the remote her finger pressed down on the standby button, she is pressing so hard that her finger is white. A tear is falling down her cheek. Her husband Pierre enters

SANDRINE
How can they say that I killed her?

PIERRE
They don’t understand Sandrine you know this.

SANDRINE
But I didn’t kill her, I freed her, she wanted me to help her die while she still had good memories, while we still had good memories with her.

PIERRE
I remember.

Pierre sits next to Sandrine on the sofa and holds one of her hands. They are both staring forward and silence ensues for an uncomfortable amount of time
PIERRE (CONT.)
I dream of her running.

SANDRINE
(She looks around at Pierre)
Sometimes I go and sit in the park where we where that day. Sometimes it is like I can see her. Just running, free. Careless. Carefree.

PIERRE
She could have run until the breathe evaporated from her body.

Pierre looks around at Sandrine and holds her.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

FLASHBACK. INT. DAY. HOSPITAL ROOM.

Sophie is lying in a hospital bed. There is no sound but we can see that she has a drip into her hand and in the bag of fluid is a set of chemotherapy. She has a sickness bucket in front of her and is retching and throwing up frequently, Sandrine is there rubbing her back and holding her other hand is Pierre. They go on like this for a little while before settling, Sophie finally sleeps. While this happens Sophie is talking. The room is sparse with little decoration, but there is a sketch book and pencils on the side, and the same book that we saw in Sophie’s room also on the side. Pierre picks up a glass of water occasionally offering to Sophie in between her bursts of sickness.

SOPHIE
This was my existence. For the last 3 years of my life, endless chemotherapy and sickness. My mother was always shocked that I never stopped smiling. This is because I was scared that if I let myself cry I would never stop. That footage was filmed in those three years, when I felt better and we went out and everything was normal. I ran to see if I could leave the leukaemia behind me. See if I could run so fast the disease would stay in the same place that I was and I would end up somewhere different. I always laughed because it never worked.

FADE OUT

FADE IN

EXT. THE PARK. DAY.

Pierre is sitting on a bench in the park just watching all the families and children around him play. He has a books he is pretending to read. It is Sophie’s book from her bedroom. While he sits and watch he speaks.

PIERRE
(Voice Over)
We always bought Sophie here. The greenest part of Paris. Where she could breathe fresh air and run as much as she liked. She was such an active child. When she was a small child she would always be on at me “Papa, Papa lets go and run” and I was always too tired. I should have made time for my angel. The only one I would ever know.

We can see ghostly images of Sophie running now, around the park playing and skipping and dancing around in the space, through the people and making the most of it.

PIERRE (CONT.)
(Voice Over)
Just an endless ball of energy, always smiling and laughing, the only person I knew that never cried because she always knew that life was too short. Sometimes I wonder if Sophie knew she would die young, she always seemed to know more than we did. She certainly made the most of her time here.

We can now see a ghostly version of Pierre running and playing with his daughter, tickling her and making her laugh, Pierre gets up and begins to walk toward the ghostly images. And moves around them. Sophie runs through him at one point and he smiles, a tear falls down his cheek. He is clearly proud of his daughter. The images fade and as he walks away he finishes speaking

PIERRE (CONT.)
(Voice Over)
Sandrine never asked me if she was doing the right thing when she gave Sophie that over dose. She didn’t need to. She knew I would have agreed with Sophie’s choice. We prayed for a cure, but we soon knew that any cure would not come in time for Our precious Sophie. The memories I have of Sophie are priceless. I am just thankful that my memories are not of her in unbearable pain for weeks on end. That they are of being here. Running. Happy.

FADE OUT.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

April 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Pure Innocence
Very Good Ellie!!!
April 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks

Any other readers wnating to leave comments? Would be much appreaciated! Be 100% honest!
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

April 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
~JustAngie~'s Avatar ~Let your colors burst~
Very good!

April 23rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
thank you
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic: