Easy (and cheap) White Sandwich Bread

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cooking on a Frugal Budget LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Easy White Sandwich Bread
Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons yeast (packets have 2 1/4 teaspons)
- 1 cup warm milk (use powdered for less expense)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey (or sugar or stevia, but stevia uses diff measurements)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups flour, separated into 3 cups and 2 cups
  • Set aside 2 tablespoons of butter to soften.
  • Set aside 3 cups of flour, and 2 cups of flour in another container
  • Pour 1/4 cup warm water (105-110 degrees F, I use warm - not hot - water from the tap) into the bottom of your mixer bowl.
  • Add 4 teaspoons of yeast (or add one packet plus 1 3/4 teaspoons of yeast) to the mixer bowl
  • Allow the yeast to dissolve into the water for at least 5 minutes while you move on to the other steps.
  • Pour 1 cup of milk into a small or medium saucepan and warm on the stove until it reaches 105-110 degrees F. This step really does not take as long as you might think.
  • Once the milk has reached the appropriate temperature, turn off the heat.
  • Add 1 cup of warm (105-110 degrees F) water to the warm milk.
  • Add 2 tablespoons of softened butter.
  • Add 2 tablespoons of honey (or sugar, but we prefer honey)
  • Add 1 tablespoon of salt
  • Stir the mixture together in the saucepan until the butter is completely melted and the honey and salt are disolved.
  • Slowly stir the mixture from the saucepan into the mixer bowl
  • Add 3 cups of flour to the mixer bowl and mix on low speed for one minute
  • Gradually add the remaining flour about 1/2 cup at a time, mixing on low, until the dough is moist and still a little sticky. The consistency of pizza crust is a good reference. If it is more moist than optimum, it will still turn out well.
  • Change the mixer paddle to a dough hook and knead the dough in the mixer for 5 minutes.
  • While the dough is kneading, get a large, clean bowl and grease it. Get out plastic wrap and press it along the inside of the bowl so that the grease (I use olive oil) transfer onto the wrap as well.
  • After the dough is finished kneading, put it in the bowl and flip the dough over once so that both sides are coated with oil. Cover with plastic wrap, oiled side down.
  • Let the dough rise in a warm place until double, usually 1-1 1/2 hours.
  • When the dough has risen to double, put it back in the mixer bowl and knead again for 5 minutes. Return to the original bowl and recover with plastic wrap.
  • Let the dough rise in a warm place until double, usually 1 hour.
  • When dough is doubled, punch down. Let it rest for a minute or two.
  • Grease 2 8x11 (or close to that size) loaf pans.
  • Divide the dough in half, form a loaf (this is a sticky dough, so I typically just roll the dough under, like making a tortilla, to make a mostly smooth top. I don't roll it out and pinch like I would for a normal loaf.), and place one ball in each loaf pan. Cover with oiled plastic wrap (I normally add more oil to the plastic wrap at this point by laying it on the counter, pour some oil on it and then spreading the oil with my hand.)
  • Let the dough rise in a warm place until it domes softly over the top of the pan, usually 1 hour.
  • About 20 minutes before you expect the dough to be finished rising, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
  • When the dough is finished rising, remove the plastic wrap and put the loaves in the oven. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes, and then turn the heat down to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 25-30 more minutes, until the bread has a hollow sound when you tap the bottom of it.
  • Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 2-5 minutes (or run a butter knife around the edges to release it from the pan sooner) and then set on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
  • Try not to cut into the bread until it has cooled completely. We store our bread in a bread drawer that is built into our cupboards. It lasts 4-5 days without going stale that way but there are all kinds of bread storage devices around.
  • I also brush the tops of the loaves with butter while they are still hot to soften the crust.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 29th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
Thanks for sharing

November 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran
wow, I really need to try that one!! thanks
November 17th, 2011, 06:19 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I am so trying this!! Thanks!

Suppose I could make wheat bread by substituting whole wheat flour huh? hmmm... I shall test it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
November 18th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
It's not recommended to use all ww flower though because something with the glutens. I would use 3 parts ww flour and 1 part white. Let me know how it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post
I am so trying this!! Thanks!

Suppose I could make wheat bread by substituting whole wheat flour huh? hmmm... I shall test it.

November 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Thank you for that reminder! I remember reading that on the WW flour package, I would have just dumped it all in! (PG brain.)

I plan on trying this either today or tomorrow, depending on if I have yeast or if I have to go get it. I really dont want to go out today lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Tags
bread , recipe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search