Frugal recipe of the week

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cooking on a Frugal Budget LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
CBMS
Taco pie (or you can vary it and make enchilada pie--up to you!)

You will need:

1 1/2 c flour
2 TBSP shortening
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
warm water (anywhere from 1/2-1c)

(.25)

1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons EACH chili powder & cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of paprika
1/2 cup tap water

(1.25)

8 oz. shredded cheddar, pepper jack, etc--up to you which kind. I like cheddar.
1 small jar taco sauce OR enchilada sauce (depending on which flavor you like better)

toppings you may like: olives, onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

sour cream

(3.30 + any optional toppings)

First, mix baking powder and salt into the flour in the first list of ingredients. Then add shortening and mix in as well as possible (there'll be some lumps). Add about 1/2 c water and mix. If you need more to get a dough, add more (particularly dry weather may need even more than a cup). You'll want a nice workable dough that is not sticky. Knead a few minutes, until you can poke your finger in and it [mostly] springs back out. Separate into balls, flatten a bit (like a pancake), and set aside.

brown your turkey. Rinse and drain. Add dry ingredients from list to water, and add it all to the turkey. Mix and allow to sit in pan, covered, on low heat while you make tortillas.

roll out your doughs as flat as you can get them (you shouldn't need flour to do this), and cook in a hot pan on each side for about 30-45 seconds. Remove from pan, and set on plate. (The very best type of pan is a cast iron if you have one!)

Add your taco or enchilada sauce to the meat mix. Add about half a jar's or can's worth of water, and mix.

Get an 8 inch round pan, spray with cooking spray, add a couple TBSP of taco or enchilada/meat sauce mix in bottom of pan and spread. Put a couple tortillas in bottom, arranging to cover bottom (cut in half to arrange if need be). Now put some of the meat/sauce mix on, some cheese, toppings of your choice, then add a couple more tortillas to completely cover, add meat sauce, cheese, toppings, and add a third and final pile of the same toppings.

Bake, covered, at 350 for 35 minutes. Remove cover and bake long enough to nicely color the cheese on top. I like to serve it with sour cream and diced onions on the side.

total cost: 4.80 plus any additional toppings (I don't use anything extra)

This definitely makes more than enough for four. I feed us all, and then have leftovers for a couple days for DH's lunch or another whole dinner!

I almost forgot... I serve this (sometimes) with rice and black beans. I put in 1 c of rice, 1 3/4 c of water, and a drained can of black beans, and season it a little bit with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder, and then cook according to the rice instructions (boil; cut down and simmer for 20 minutes). It adds about .55 to the cost, but wow does it bulk up on how much food there is! For feeding a large family, it'd be great, but I have found it's just too much unless I plan on eating this all week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search