Banana-Oat Quick Bread

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cooking on a Frugal Budget LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 08:18 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Banana-Oat Quick Bread

1 1/2 cups flour (I use self-rising -- add in the baking soda and salt if you have all-purpose)
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (I use regular milk)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour (and salt and baking soda if necessary) and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine banana, buttermilk, oil, and egg whites in a bowl; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
Combine 1/4 cup oats, walnuts, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and butter, and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
August 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
BoxerMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to BoxerMom
ok - how much salt and baking soda?

August 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
ok - how much salt and baking soda?[/b]
I don't know!!! I don't use all-purpose for stuff like this! I think the recipe I originally had called for the all-purpose and salt and baking soda, but I re-wrote it with self-rising.

I did find this through Google.
Quote:
To make 1 cup of self-rising flour, take 1 cup all-purpose flour and add 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.[/b]
So I guess you would need to add 2-1/4 t baking powder and 3/4 t salt.
August 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
BoxerMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to BoxerMom
Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
ok - how much salt and baking soda?[/b]
I don't know!!! I don't use all-purpose for stuff like this! I think the recipe I originally had called for the all-purpose and salt and baking soda, but I re-wrote it with self-rising.

I did find this through Google.
Quote:
To make 1 cup of self-rising flour, take 1 cup all-purpose flour and add 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.[/b]
So I guess you would need to add 2-1/4 t baking powder and 3/4 t salt.
[/b]

November 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
This recipe was a hit at work. I cook for seniors at a retirment community. It said 2 egg whites. I just used one whole egg. Instead of the oil. I used soft butter. Instead of nuts in the topping. I put the nuts in the batter for the bread. It came out beautiful. The residents loved it. I made one loaf to test it. Put it out with the regular donuts and stuff we put out for breakfast in the morning. It was sort of a trial to see if anyone likes it. Well they did. Now they all want to order some up to take home for the holidays. I made this recipe twice already. Thanks for the nice recipe.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search