Tortillas

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cooking on a Frugal Budget LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM
CBMS
I don't usually measure when I make tortillas. I just kind of do it, so these are guesses on measurements... forewarned is forearmed.

2 c flour
3 TBSP shortening
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder (not necessary, but I do this addition, I guess the original, mexican recipe would not call for this)

Enough warm water to make a pliable dough. (this can vary based on location, weather, etc... so I am guessing somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 cup)

First, put the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and mix. Add the shortening and work into the flour until there's little lumps in the flour. Add the warm water, a little at a time, until you have a workable dough. Not too soft, not too hard. Knead for about 10 minutes (less if by machine). The dough should be elastic--if you pinch it, it'll try going back to its former shape.

Cover and let rest five minutes or so.

Break into pieces, roll into balls, and then semi-flatten them. Roll with a pin (using flour as necessary) and cook in heated skillet (cast iron works best, but you don't have to use cast iron), medium heat with NO OIL! It will be about 30-45 seconds on the first side, and 15 or so seconds on the second side. Remove from pan and put in a towel to keep warm (I use a dish with a cover, with a papertowel on the bottom and one on top. The towels collect most of the condensation so they don't get soggy, but keeping them warm helps to keep them soft, too.

If you freeze them, they can be reheated wrapped in foil at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes.

These are delicious, and way cheaper to make than to buy!
September 26th, 2007, 12:31 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
oh ty ty ... I loove tortillas!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
October 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
Sounds great! I can't wait to make them.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

October 31st, 2007, 12:20 PM
*Jackie*
How many does your recipe make?
October 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM
CBMS
I honestly don't know. It varies because I use the same recipe for doing the smaller (like a 6 inch) ones and the larger (9 inch, maybe) for burritos.

I'd guess it's maybe 20 small, 12-14 larger ones. I always have some left.
October 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM
*Jackie*
That's the perfect amount. Thanks
November 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM
*Jackie*
Man you really have to roll those buggers out THIN! I made them tonight (have yet to eat it as the chicken is still cooking). My hand hurts... I don't have a rolling pin and had to improvise. LOL!
November 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
CBMS
You definitely need a rolling pin! Even if it's a cheapie dollar tree pin, it's better than nothing. That's what I have. I'd like to get one of those beautiful marble ones that make it SO MUCH EASIER to roll thin!

Good though--and so worth the work. You'll get quicker, too. I promise. I can now knock them out in almost no time at all.
November 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM
*Jackie*
I never got back to reply about how they tasted, but they were WONDERFUL!!! I'm making them again, right now... which is why I'm in this thread looking at the recipe. LOL!
July 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Could butter be substituted for the shortening, or is the shortening itself important?

I want to try to make these, but I can't use a rolling pin (bad wrist) so I am going to have to find a way to convince my DH to participate in my tortilla-making.

July 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Girl_interrupted
That, I'm not sure of. I know some use lard... I don't know if real butter would work or not?

Do you have a pasta roller? If you start out with it roughly shaped in a circle, you can put it through in one direction, then flip to spread to the other, then tighten one notch, and put it through one way and then rotate a 1/4 turn again, then tighten a notch again and put it through twice again. I go to the third notch for my flat breads. Maybe the fourth would be an even better, thin and pliable tortilla. I've never used it for my tortillas, so I'm not quite sure, but my flat breads for my daughter's party turned out in pretty nice circles.

Good luck! Homemade tortillas are delish!

PS. There's also a contraption you could get your husband to make--I'm still working on mine! You get two round pieces of wood that are cut in circles. Then are then connected with a hinge of some sort. All you do then is put the thick almost circle piece of dough in the center and close it. It spreads it out all by itself. I want one of those!

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?i...amp;price=28.95

This one isn't even a circle!
July 31st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the tips, Kim!

I think I'll try a half batch with softened butter and see how they turn out. If it doesn't work, I haven't lost much and I can pick up some shortening and try again. I'll also coerce DH into rolling them out for me...and depending on how annoyed he is by the process and how much he likes the tortillas, I can then convince him of our need for a tortilla press!! (We don't have a pasta maker...Though, maybe that would be a better investment, given its versatility and our love of pasta... Something to think about.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search