Surviving the holidays without spending all your dough!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cooking on a Frugal Budget LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM
CBMS
As requested, here's a thread for your holiday tips and tricks, recipes, etc.

Post away, ladies. I will post my holiday recipe must-haves when I get back.
November 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
CBMS
Green bean casserole:

1 bag of frozen green beans (16 oz.) (generic: .89)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (generic: .49)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (generic: .50)
1/2 c. sour cream (generic: .40)

12 or so crackers [oryou can use bread crumbs] for the topping (I use either generic crackers or homemade breadcrumbs: .25)
1 TBSP butter or margarine (5 cents?)

first, mix the soup, sour cream, and half the cheese together. Add the brean beans and fold them in gently. Pour into greased dish. Top with the remaining cheddar. Melt butter, add cracker or bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over top.

Bake at 350 for about an hour--the first half hour, I usually bake covered so the bread crumbs don't get too dark.

yummy. total cost: 2.58
November 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
celeste's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mmm that sounds yummy!!! I'm not taking the frugalist (if that's a word) thing to Thanksgiving but if I come across one I'll make sure to post it on here!!!
December 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Ok, here's my list of holiday goodies to make so far ...

Witch Hats (PB cookies with kisses in them ... Adam calls them Witch Hats ... who knows ...)
Beth's Witch Hats (Adam's GF just suggested I make them with sugar cookies and the new candy cane white chocolate hershey kisses)
Dried Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cut Sugar Cookies
Snickerdoodles
Candy Bar Center Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Chocolate Peanut and Cashew Clusters
Chocolate Covered Caramel Nut Squares
Cornflake Marshmallow Holly Leaves
Peanut Brittle
Devils Food Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Butterscotch Crunchy Noodle Clusters
Fudge Dipped Chewy Wheat Cookies
Peanut Butter No Bakes
Chocolate No Bakes
Puppy Chow (Chex cereal ... chocolate ... powdered sugar ... amazing)
Chex Mix

New this year ...
3 varieties of Welch Cookies
and another likely failed attempt at fudge ... I can't get this right to save my life. Every year it goes awry.
December 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
CBMS
what kind of fudge, Mandi??

I can share an easy and delish peanut butter fudge recipe with you, if you're interested.

Actually... I'll post it anyway. That's what this thread is for.

EASY Peanut butter fudge

2c sugar
1c milk (*I* use skim, so it's not as fattening, hehe... it's good with cream, or whole milk, or evaporated milk, too, though.)
dash salt

2TBSP butter or margarine
2/3 c peanut butter
1tsp vanilla (or almond) flavoring

Bring first three ingredients to a boil, stirring often. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (this is where you drop a bit in ice-cold water and can make it form a ball while in the water, but when it's brought up out of the water, it flattens to your fingers). Remove from heat. I usually leave it on the heat for about 45 seconds after it reaches the soft ball stage when I use skim milk. Add butter, peanut butter, and vanilla and stir. Keep stirring until the mixture becomes somewhat thickened (and partially cooled). Pour into a buttered [glass is best] 8x8 pan. Allow to cool completely. Fudge will set as it sits. Cut and ENJOY after it's completely cooled.
December 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
My fudge always ends up grainy, and that's my biggest pet peeve about it. I will try again, as usual, and see what happens. Thanks for the new recipe, though.
December 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never had much luck with fudge either Mandi!

Another version of chocolate covered pretzels (which are much easier than the real thing!):

Put hershey kisses on a pan, put a O pretzel around it, put in a 250 oven for a few minutes, push the pretzel flat to the pan and squish a M&M (red and green) onto the kiss to squeeze it into all edges of the pretzel. Let the chocolate reharden and take them off the pan. Bite size and yummy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search