Those who have kids around 8 months in age...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
It is frustrating to me that Ray isn't even here yet, and I am getting advise from people as to what to do with her and what not to do with her, and what is going to work, and what is not going to work...grrrr!!!

So we are already planning a family vacation to Florida in 2011, February to be exact...So Ray will be about 8 months old. My question is, we are planning on driving. Now my brother was talking to my mom (not me mind you, but my mom) and my niece is about 8 months old now...and I guess they still feed her about every 3 hours? My brother is saying to my mom, they realize like they have to stop every three hours to feed the baby??? Of course, he wasn't talking to me, so I didn't have a chance to respond, but I said to my mom, why would we have to stop...first off...when they are eating solids (they should at least be having cereal at that point, and I thought that as long as it was something that was easy to chew she could be eating other things too...baby food...even cheerio's (again, I don't have an 8 month old, so I'm not sure) My other point is...why do we have to STOP to give her a bottle...or give her a little bit of cereal. Am I a bad mom if I sit in the back seat with my daughter and feed her in her car seat? As long as we both are strapped in, is that wrong?

Now don't get me wrong...I know that we will have to stop lots because she is a baby, and she will need to be changed, and it's just the way it works with kids...but there are some things that I don't need to stop for, and I really think that since we will be stopping lots anyway to see things, that it won't be that bad?! Maybe I am being naive?? What do you girls think.

March 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK well, Paige is 9 months, eating solids and still gets a bottle every 3 hours! Also, not sure if you are planning on BFing or not, but it might get a little harry if you try to BF while driving!! As far as giving her other things to eat, I definitely think things like cheerios are just fine while driving. I hope that helps some. And how annoying that your family doesn't even talk to you about YOUR child!!!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

March 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I would not be BF in the car...the plan would be to pump, and feed her from a bottle...I wouldn't take her out of the car seat while the vehicle was moving.

March 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
n/a
A bottle or something easy like oatmeal would be no problem while driving. Anything solid I wouldn't try b/c they could choke. I mean, they can gag and spit up - it happens sometimes, especially when reclined like they are in some car seats. Not fun while driving and perhaps even dangerous. You want your baby to be upright to avoid choking when they eat. Jack eats every 3-4 hours. Really I would be more worried about whether the baby likes the car seat. They can get restless and then cry a lot. So really, breaks are a necessity unless they are sleeping or you are lucky enough to have a super easy baby. You won't know though until then!
March 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister has a 9 month old and I think she would be ok for a drive like that. I know she does not LOVE to spend that much time in her car seat so the breaks might be more for her to get out and stretch a little when you change her. But I think as long as there is someone in the back with her she would be fine for more than 3 hours. But as some of the previous posters mentioned you will not know until you she gets here what kind of a baby she is. I would say don't change your plans yet!

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

March 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Michelle. I hope you have an easy trip to Florida.
March 16th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i guess it depends on the child. I have no idea how long the drive is for you but at 8 months, milk will still be their main nutrition so def pump milk like you said. They may not be overly interested in solids or threy may be eating heaps of solids, who knows. Bella isnt great on long car journeys, she hates being strapped in for so long,m she likes to be moving about and gets bored so having one of you in the back to chat to her might be helpful too (unless your lucky and she sleeps most of the way,) lol.
March 16th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
Yeah it will really depend on your child and how often she needs to "rest" from the car seat. Haylea does really well in her seat but even an hour trip is enough and she needs to stretch a little. It will also probaby depend on if you are in an infant seat or a convertable by then (still rear facing though). A convertable might be more roomy.

As far as feeding you can totally do that while she is in her seat...I once leaned over and BF Haylea in the car! It was a sight and very uncomfortable for me but she didn't seem to mind!

Oh and yes Haylea is 7 mo (in two days) and BF ever three hours during the day. What about doing a red-eye drive? Then she will be sleeping and not need to eat either.
March 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure it does depend on the baby. A friend of mine just made a round trip 2-3 months ago from Florida to Washington state with a 5 month old. Then, they hopped on a plane and flew from Florida to Japan where they are now living. I hear she did really good on the flight.

Just remember (I trying myself) that all babies are different...what works for one baby may not work for another.
March 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM
By a red eye drive, you mean drive at night??? Sorry, just not sure what you mean. LOL...the idea of us driving is DH has never been further south in the US than Fargo (in North Dakota) and even though I have driven to Florida twice, it was with my dad who was not up to taking stops...so it made it slightly frustrating... So I haven't really seen anything anyway...I guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes...our other option is flying, but neither of us really want to take that route...I guess we can just take extra time off to make the trip more enjoyable. (DH would have to, I will still be on Mat leave.) Thanks all.

March 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreobaby View Post
By a red eye drive, you mean drive at night???
Yes, that is what it means....late night driving!
March 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're the type that just get in the car and go, so I think you'll be fine. I'm with Michelle that the bigger concern may be whether or not she likes the car seat. Some kids hate the infant seat, but are fine once they are in a convertible seat. You may want to buy a bigger seat before that trip if she hates the infant one. My kids hate the infant ones and drives aren't fun. We've just been waitng for it to warm up a little before we move them to their bigger seats.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 16th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got the same thing from some ladies at work telling me that it's not good to take vacations with young children. If you decide to take her on a vacation that is what works best you and your family. As for us we will be taking Kennedi on vacations ASAP because we love to travel. You just make adjustments as needed. There is nothing wrong with bottle feeding while driving and feeding finger foods while in the car. Just my opinion. I hope that they will let you do what you want with Ray and not pass judgement.

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

March 16th, 2010, 04:34 PM
KennasMama's Avatar Loving my baby girl!
I, too, greatly look forward to traveling with my child. We have a trip planned cross country (flying) when ours will be 8 months as well, and then again a year later. You'll find what works best for you and Ray and do what you need to have an enjoyable trip.

March 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Personally, I think with a baby, you need to be stopping every 2-3 hours to give baby time out of the car. That's a long time for a little one to be confined like that. And IME, stopping to BF is easier than preparing a bottle, dealing w/ spitting up, and burping (I've done extensive car travel w/ my BFF's kids since they were babies and they were formula fed) in a car seat. I build an extra 30 min per 2-3 hours travel time into my schedule now that we have Cherie.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search