Sippy cups

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are still struggling with getting Billy to take a bottle. The most he ever took was 1/2 of an ounce. We've been trying since he was 4 weeks old, almost everyday. I return to work April 6th and am extremely anxious about what is going to happen. I'm willing to try anything at this point so I was wondering what type of sippy cups you all use. Anyone know of a good starter one since Billy is so young? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

March 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Connor is still too young so I have no advice. Just wanted to give you hugs since I know it must be stressful with you worrying about going back to work. Hopefully some of the other ladies have some good advice.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 17th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Elliott's Mommy
If he does well BFing, that is a good start. The suck/swallow/breathe pattern is the same in both BFing and bottles. What kind of bottles have you tried? I would try a variety of nipple shapes/sizes and flow rates to see if you can get success. Have you been away when the bottle is attempted? If you are strictly BFing, he may be protesting breastmilk in a bottle, especially from his milk supply. Maybe try some water or something with a little different taste in the bottle and see if it's more acceptable. A sippy is good, but it is a bit more complicated than the bottle. . . . I'll try not to go on and on about this. . . please PM me if you want to talk more.

March 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know what sippy we use, as we rarely use them. My kids refuse to take a bottle as well. I agree with Courtney on trying different things, but some kids just flat out refuse no matter what. Some will refuse to eat all day and nurse all night when mom is home.

There is a small possibility it isn't the bottle. Have you smelled the milk you give him. My milk is high in lipase and gets soapy smelling and gross tasting within a day of pumping. That's part of why my kids refused bottles. I have to scald it for them to eat food that I've added it to. Scalding stops the lipase from breaking down the fat. I know scalding decreases some nutrients, but I don't know how much.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneytcu98 View Post
If he does well BFing, that is a good start. The suck/swallow/breathe pattern is the same in both BFing and bottles. What kind of bottles have you tried? I would try a variety of nipple shapes/sizes and flow rates to see if you can get success. Have you been away when the bottle is attempted? If you are strictly BFing, he may be protesting breastmilk in a bottle, especially from his milk supply. Maybe try some water or something with a little different taste in the bottle and see if it's more acceptable. A sippy is good, but it is a bit more complicated than the bottle. . . . I'll try not to go on and on about this. . . please PM me if you want to talk more.
Thanks for your input!! We've tried lots of bottles: breastflow, avent, plaxtex drop ins, nuby, gerber, dr. browns, born free, nuk. We've also tried latex and silicone nipples, as well as slow, medium, and faster flows. I have left the house when DH tried or I will be upstairs (I go up before he wakes up from a nap so he doesnt see me). He is EBF so I'm thinking its his way of saying I don't want milk out of any of these. Maybe we'll try a small bit of water and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
I don't know what sippy we use, as we rarely use them. My kids refuse to take a bottle as well. I agree with Courtney on trying different things, but some kids just flat out refuse no matter what. Some will refuse to eat all day and nurse all night when mom is home.

There is a small possibility it isn't the bottle. Have you smelled the milk you give him. My milk is high in lipase and gets soapy smelling and gross tasting within a day of pumping. That's part of why my kids refused bottles. I have to scald it for them to eat food that I've added it to. Scalding stops the lipase from breaking down the fat. I know scalding decreases some nutrients, but I don't know how much.
I haven't smelled the milk, never thought of that or the fact that it might not be the bottle! I pump everyday and usually give an ounce to try from that, but its a possiblity he doesnt like the taste when it is a day or two old. We have also tried fresh pumped milk and he refused that also. I'm thinking he is going to end up not eating much during the day and making up for it when I'm home. It just worries me...

Thanks ladies, this is just stressing me out. I just picture my little guy screaming all day and being hungry....

Last edited by Jodi0804; March 17th, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
March 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you now. We have tried and tried several different sippy cups and this is the only one that worked:
Nuby BPA Free Flip-n-Sip Straw Cup - 8 oz - Luv N Care - Babies "R" Us

I think the problem Paige was having was it was too much for her to think about having to tip the cup up and suck at the same time, so this straw cup works because all she has to do is suck. Courtney, is full of fabulous info so I definitely suggest pming her or check Valerie's milk option. Hang in there sweeite.

Is the colic getting any better?

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

March 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMomma View Post

Is the colic getting any better?
I definitely see improvement. Its not as bad, but not better yet. We moved his bed time earlier and it seems to be helping some w/ the nights. And since its been nice I've been taking him outside more and he likes looking around and going for walks. He doesnt tolerate not being held the whole time but at least we get some fresh air I can see his little personality coming out and he can be so sweet; so I know there is hope!!

March 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I'm so glad. There definitely is a light at the end of the tunnel!! Paige absolutely loves it outside. It totally relaxes her and she usually falls asleep. Good thing was when she was going through the colicky phase it was summer so when she was screaming we took her outside and it didn't seem as loud! Neighbors probbly hated us, but I didn't really care at that point. I don't you probably don't see it now, but soon you will forget about these nights/days and actually think about having another one!!! I hope he starts taking a bottle soon!!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search