who did NOT have the NT scan??

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
I am leaning toward not having it. I don't really think i need it, as it won't change anything but i would love to see that baby again in 4 weeks. I'm torn but am probably NOT going to do it. 12 weeks is just so far away!! I am trying to be patient! You all know me...patience is not my specialty. Just curious who else didn't have it.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
March 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wasnt sure if i was going to get it - in fact i said no at first but the ladies here convinced me to get it. If insurance covers it then why not? We also used the pictures from it to tell our families so it worked out perfect

March 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
tiffanys's Avatar Expecting #1- Fisher
We didn't get it done!
Blessed Mommy to Fisher and baby#2 Hunter on his way

March 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have decided NOT to do it. We talked about it with our doctor and we decided it was not going to change anything. DH is a stats guy so he went through all the numbers and decided it just was not something we wanted to do. I don't want to stress about it either.

I hope I don't regret the decision because I would LOVE the extra ultrasound.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

March 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I don't want to scare you, but I want to share my personal experience with you.

With my first pregnancy, I had 4 early ultrasounds (performed by different techs) and each one said that I was carrying ONE healthy baby.

I was only 22 with NO family history of any birth defects. We opted to have the NT Scan because I'm impatient and wanted to see my "baby" again.

It was at the NT Scan (at 12.3 weeks) that they discovered I was carrying non viable conjoined twins. They shared a heart and essentially had "one head" so on early u/s they appeared to be one baby, when in fact they were 2 babies with a 0% chance of viability outside of my womb. If I hadn't gotten the NT Scan, I wouldn't have found out about their severe defects (they had a heart defect and a VERY LARGE cystic hygroma as well) until my 20 weeks u/s.....

At this point my life would've been in danger because the babies' heart would soon give out and essentially the DRs would have no way to get the babies' out of me with out a c-section. A c-section that early in pregnancy, can cause a massive amount of bleeding and could cause the death of the mother.

It was because of these factors that I had to induce labor at 16 weeks so that I could give my sons the peaceful birth they deserved (as opposed to a painful D&C which they would've been able to feel until their heart stopped)

March 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am doing everything insurance covered although it wouldn't have changed the outcome. Our focus, even at the gender scan, was more on the health of the baby's organs.

If I remember correctly, Candace did not have an NT scan.
March 20th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't do it. Meg is perfectly healthy.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
March 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We decided against it after having had so many sono's before hand. I was a little nervous about not getting it. Mainly because of the reasons that Brandi stated. I think each person has to decide for themselves which is the best route
Mom to my two miracle girls.

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

March 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
we didn't, didn't have the 20week scan either

March 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
We didn't do it.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

March 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
*Mommy2Camden*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't have it done!

March 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
~* Liss *~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't do it.

March 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM
MommyPoky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyPoky Send a message via MSN to MommyPoky Send a message via Yahoo to MommyPoky
We had it done and, believe it or not, it saved me some worry down the road. They found some cysts in our baby's brain at the 18 week gender scan, which are a soft indicator for trisomy 18, and had to wait another 7 weeks to make sure she was ok. Luckily, the nt scan showed my risk for trisomy 18 to be 1 in 3600, so I was not overly stressed about the outcome for those 2 months. So for me, it was definitely a good thing.
Thank you Quantum_Leap for the gorgeous siggy!!

March 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
I'm learning a lot from reading this! I looked up on google about NT scan. when I am pregnant, I definitely will be doing this due to family genetics.
March 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
We didn't do it. Like you said, it doesn't change anything, and I'm too much of a worrier. I would have freaked out the rest of my pregnancy over any little thing.
Wife to Donny (33), mommy to Cherie (5), and Stepmom to Paige (13) and Garrett (11). Due with number 4 in Jan 2015!!
March 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did...and am glad I did...Matt has a brother with down syndrome, and it really put my mind at ease after having it done! and, I got to see baby again, which was the best reason (and we got great pics that time around unlike our 20 week U/S)

March 20th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't do it!

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

March 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
I just waited because IF something would show up wrong, I didn't want to know because that would not have changed our minds about keeping the baby. I know 12 more weeks seems SO far away, but once it's here it will be SOOOOO worth it!

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
March 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
We didn't do it because it wouldn't have changed anything. It was hard waiting for that next U/S though

March 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
DH and I talked about this, and it was a very short conversation. Basically, it consisted of "would our feelings about our child or children, or our actions at all, be changed by anything we would see in any blood test, amnio, ultrasound, or anything at all?"

The answer was a resounding no. Even if the baby couldn't survive outside of my womb, god forbid, I know I would still give birth to it when the time came. It's still our child.

Defects like what Brandi had are very rare, and we ended up with 2 early u/s's anyway because of the pain from my cyst (5 weeks and 11 weeks) - so we declined all testing except the 20 week u/s, and that's only because I want DH to have that bonding, we wouldn't mind some pictures, and we're curious about the gender - and we want to prepare ourselves if there is anything that makes me high risk. Midwives pretty much HAVE to do u/s's here, because if you're high risk you have to be transferred back to a doc or an OB.

But no, we didn't do it or any other testing, and I'm not worried because I know that whatever the outcome, that's our child no matter what, and knowing anything bad earlier wouldn't change that.

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search