squirt squirt!! **TMI** and a serious question at the end:)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so I warn you, I am completely obsessed with this milk thing...
So yesterday, I was trying to help Kaiden get in a good position to milk, so I squeezed my boob to help get it in his mouth, and the milk squirted out - like 6 feet...so then, for the rest of the night, I cracked myself (and Matt) up by seeing how far I could squirt my milk...I'm not kidding, but I can get like 4 "trails" to squirt about 10 feet...more on the right then the left...even after feeding him for 10-15 minutes, it will still squirt out...

So, is this normal? Should I have so much?
The reason why I am asking is that Kaiden has some major reflux...he spits up a lot, and I think its cause he's taking in too much milk...its fun to play with but I'm wondering if this could be preventing him from getting down a sufficient amoutn, and if so, is there something that I should do about it??
March 22nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
at how far your milk squirts! That must be entertaining!
Sorry, I am no help otherwise!! At least you know you have PLENTY of milk supply.

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
March 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help otherwise because all I can do is quote books. But you are something else woman....you and that booby squirting, lol!
March 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I obviously have no idea on the milk thing but had to
March 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
sounds awesome Tonya, i have no clue either. I had a friend whose daughter had MAJOR refulx. Can't remember what they did to help her??

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
March 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
Unfortunately, I also have no idea...but worry that I will be the opposite, as I haven't had anything leaking yet, and many have by this point in the game.

March 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
OMG I can just see you and Matt playing around. You really crack me up girl...

I'm not sure if I can be much help but I had a lady who came into work with the same thing I didn't know how to help her so I went on line in case she came back. I found this site if it helps.
kellymom.com :: Spitting Up & Reflux in the Breastfed Baby

[SIZE="3"]

March 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
This is what happened with Z....
my let down was so powerful he would gag/choke - reflux at 6 weeks badly.....so what I had to do was hand express or pump some until the powerful let down wasn't so strong. and then latch him on.
GL!

March 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
MommyPoky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyPoky Send a message via MSN to MommyPoky Send a message via Yahoo to MommyPoky
I don't have anything to add but that's too funny!

March 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
tiffanys's Avatar Expecting #1- Fisher
I also don't have anything to add...but, hehe that is really funny!
Blessed Mommy to Fisher and baby#2 Hunter on his way

March 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Lindsey. Our lactation consultant at work says that pumping prior to feeds will help to decrease the reflux!

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

March 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
- I'm no help, but man you and your booby squirting! LOL

ETA: I do have one thing to say, I can say the old chant that doctors and mothers everywhere will tell you when you're worried about feedings (my sis went through something similar with Ethan & formula) - if he's growing and gaining weight, he's getting enough nutrition. It's when he doesn't grow or gain weight that you need to worry!

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -

Last edited by Cheryl_W; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
March 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Etph007's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the opposite problem- not enough milk

But even I can squirt pretty far hahah! My hubby is totally disgusted by it!
March 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had this problem at the beginning. It's usually an oversupply issue. Feeding on only one side per feeding really helped. If he wants to eat again before the three hour mark, then you should continue on the same side. This helped a TON and I think my breast regulated themselves in about 2-3 weeks time after starting this process.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Karen, I only feed Billy on one side at each feeding because of his reflux and overactive letdown. I also nurse him in the side laying position a lot because gravity helps him not choke and the milk dribbles out his mouth onto a burp cloth when he gets too much. He usually also unlatches at the intial letdown and I spray into the burp cloth and it helps a ton!

March 22nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Elliott's Mommy
Kellymom is a GREAT resource! I think that Lindsey, Karen and Jodi gave you wonderful advice. Remember that your body is constantly making milk to replenish your supply, so you will always have some milk. And yeah, your boobs will adjust. . . . those first weeks it feels like it will never happen, but it does! Oh! The BF'ing board here at JM is very helpful.

March 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to entertain...Matt was initially grossed out, but when I started aiming at him (from across the room) and hitting him with it, it became more than entertaining...fwiw, my milk didn't come in until day 4, and until then, he lost weight, but I *think* he is gaining now (though I have no way of testing that since his next dr appointment isnt until April 2...

anyway...
Thanks for your help girls...this last time I fed him, he was starving, and then proceeded to spit up so much...I mean, the kid is peeing and pooping like a champ, but there is also so much coming up...

I think I'm going to try the one boob thing...one quick question, do you manually pump (I dont have a pump yet, I think I should probably start looking sooner rather than late since I'll need it when I go back to work anyway) with your hand when doing just one, and for how long...also, how long does he stay on the one boob? I let him go till he loses interest, sometimes its about 15 minutes total, this last time, he fed for 40 minutes (20 per side)...
March 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my sister use to squirt me with her milk ALL THE TIME!!! I use to grossed out by it... but it is funny!!! I hope you figgure out whats causing the reflux problem...
March 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromustobaby View Post

I think I'm going to try the one boob thing...one quick question, do you manually pump (I dont have a pump yet, I think I should probably start looking sooner rather than late since I'll need it when I go back to work anyway) with your hand when doing just one, and for how long...also, how long does he stay on the one boob? I let him go till he loses interest, sometimes its about 15 minutes total, this last time, he fed for 40 minutes (20 per side)...
I have always fed one side at a time so my body is used to it. Now that he spaced his feedings every 4 hours or so I have had to manually pump some in the middle of the night to help with the pain. I just squirt into a cloth until I am comfortable. Otherwise in the morning I pump and usually once in the afternoon (to help build my stash). I have this pump and LOVE it. Medela - Pump In Style Advanced

March 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
*Mommy2Camden*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I pump the milk squirts out pretty far. I'm sure he'll let you know if he's not getting enough!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search