Breastfeeding (NOT a debate)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OK Girls this isnt a debate, just thought I would share some info that Ive found since I started BF. Some of you FF and thats fine. I know many of you would have loved to continue to BF. Alot of this I have found out since breastfeeding through my own reading, research and talking to other breastfeeding women! Hopefully it may help one of you. By the way, none of this is medical advice, just friendly BF advice that may help.
  • I think most of you know this anyway but colustrum comes in first, milk doesnt come in for a few days, and the colustrum is enough to sustain them.
(I wrote that as I met a lady who put her son on formula on day 1 as she never made any milk! she obviously didnt know about colustrum)
  • Apparently (this may be matter of opinion) that comfort sucking is actually good for building your supply.
  • Your supply takes 6 weeks to establish
  • Cluster feeding where bubs feeds for long periods of time is NORMAL, not a sign of low supply.
  • cluster feeding can also be a growth spurt or sometimes reflux (dont self diagnose get a doctor/pedi to do that)
  • you dont need to time how long they are on each side. Every baby is different and takes the milk out with different efficiencies
  • Feed on demand, Especially while your supply is still building, even if it means they are hungry an hour later!
  • EB babies dont need water, even in hot weather. BM has everything a baby needs.
  • BF babies can apparently go 7-10 days without a bowel movement (not Bella, more like 7-10 PER day)
  • bubs should have 6-8 wet nappies per day (not sure what age that decreases)
  • Some women can never get much from pumping, thats also no indication of supply, baby is most efficient at extracting milk.
  • You will spend a lot of time feeding especially in the early days.
Bella fed hourly to 2 hourly during the day till around 6 months. And if Im correct Zane fed 2 hourly aswell Linds didnt he, if youre reading this.
Thats all I can think of at the mo, hope it helps someone!
March 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
Thanks for this! First time mommies like me really want to EBF, but don't know enough LOL

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Add more if you think of some....I'm planning to BF and supplement. I feel lucky enough that when I go back to work, I can have a mini-fridge put in my office...so that is definitely a pumping benefit.
March 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good stuff - thanks!
I loved when my milk actually came in (I had a 5 hour cluster feed of colostrum on day3 cause he was just so hungry!) - made me feel like my body was working the way it should

Just gotta figure out how to get him to keep more down...
March 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
cheryl, im amazed at how much you dont get told beforehand. I feel like I know sooo much now compared to when I first started. I think a lot of the info that some health professionals have is out of date too. certainly the feed on a schedule four hourly is old. well its ok if your bub wants to feed 4 hourly! when I got mastitis and developed an abcess, a doctor said he thought it best I stop for a few days. Which was wrong because, my supply would have been affected. engorgement would have meant risk for reinfection. Will try and think of some more.
March 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
Oh that is one I've heard, not to stop if you get an infection - it can't be passed on to baby in any way, but stopping can affect supply and the best thing to do is to KEEP BFing because that will help the infection faster. What was yours from, underwire? Clogged duct? Just curious

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 23rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
knowlage is power! The more prepared the better and eaisier it is! I think a lot of woman are intimidated by BF, and they shouldnt be! Have faith in your body!

.....also....dont freak about drinking a glass of wine or so! If you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to BF, and trust me....those first couple months a nice glass of wine at the end of a long day is brilliant!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

March 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL Bre, I was thinking about you the other day, wondering if you still came onto JM, I remember your slideshow you made for DH

Anyway....Cheryl TBH Im not 100% sure, I think it may have been from my bra, I got a blocked duct under my arm about a day after I had tightened the straps which I needed to do from losing weight. It was a TINY lump but it got bigger, turned into mastitis but I got antibiotics a bit late and it turned into an abcess and needed draining. LESSON LEARNED! As if my csection scar wasnt anough, lol.
Some people, are unlucky and suffer blocked ducts etc all the time.

Umm I thought of something else before too...hmm now I cant remember >:l

Oh thats right, you can still succesfully BF after pain relief too, I dont know the medical ins and outs of it as I know there can be side effects with some, but we were successful after epidural and csection. My friend got put under for her section and was successful too. I have heard some women find it difficult after certain drugs etc.

We are quite lucky here in Oz as we have whats called the ABA (Aus BF association) which have a freecall helpline 24/7 which trained BF professionals. I have learned sooo much from their site too!! Even though its an Oz one, it may def be worth a look for some of you.
March 24th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Em, there is an NHS breastfeeding site and helpline too, But of course I can never find the info when I want to post it!!

Ana fed every 45 minutes during the day, she did this for 8 weeks and it was exhausting! But she always did 6 hours straight at night to let me recover!

I could never pump more than half an ounce, but then when she fed, the other side would just pour out.

Best advice: read this site, then bookmark it for those horrible "am I starving my baby" feelings that creep in when you are completely exhausted at 3am!
kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting

March 24th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
I am planning on BF'ing when I have my little one. New mom and no real support around as in family that did BF, so I am goin' to have to try and do this on my own ....my sister , my mom and my DH have been great support about it but They havent done it so I have to get as much info as I can about Bf'ing on my own. i am deteremined to BF. Thanks for posting this info, I can never turn down reading about BF, i just want to know as many tips and info as I can...

March 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ah kool, thanks Sam, I didnt know about the NHS helpline, I must say I didnt find the NHS website as imformative as I thought it would be on BF but maybe I missed bits. They are VERY pro BF in the hospitals though.
March 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Thanks for the tips!

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
March 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great info. It is amazing how little we are told.

The best thing I discovered is that drinking a good beer ups my supply. It can't be gross cheap beer like miller or bud light though. It has to be good quality beer because of wht goes into it.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 24th, 2010, 06:17 AM
~* Liss *~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing! This is great info!

March 24th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
lol Valerie, are you being serious?

also boob size has NOTHING to do with how much you produce.
I just read something on another board which made me think of something else but I cant believe I forgot Grrr. Short term memory or what. Sometimes I think I am a goldfish. lol
March 24th, 2010, 08:15 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
yup...its the yeast in the beer that helps with supply....its an old wives talke, but i tried it and think it works!

Here is a great JM article on those stupid Milkscreen things. It talks about having the occasional beer or wine while BF.

Breastmilk And Booze - Do The Two Mix? : Babies : pregnancy and parenting on JustMommies

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

March 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some nurses at the hospital offer great advice, and others can tell you wrong info. One of my nurses insist I nurse on both sides for 30 minutes every 2 hours (an hour total). She told me if I didn't my milk wouldnt come in. It just wasnt working and I was stressing out that I was doing something wrong. When I got home I let him nurse for however long he wanted and it was soooo much better. I delivered on Saturday and my milk came in Monday. Definitely don't time the feedings, each baby nurses at different paces. My moral: don't listen to everything your told, follow your gut.

March 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hunter will nurse for 5 minutes on each side She is very efficient!! My milk came in on the 3rd day after she was born. I have never had engorgement issues, my boobs are actually pretty soft (TMI but my hubby calls them the Pancakes ) but I can express milk even after a feeding.

I think as long as your baby is growing on target and seems happy then you are doing your job. I would like to know how much she is actually getting sometimes though, just because I am curious

Tonya - I am having the same problem lately!! Every time I feed, Hunter spits up when I burp her, I think maybe she is eating to much and that is the excess If you figure out what is going on with Kaiden let me know!!

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

March 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcooper View Post
lol Valerie, are you being serious?
It sounds funny, but I'm being totally serious. I always have way more milk when I have a beer. Last fall, after the girls were born, I'd sit on my back porch, nurse one and drink a beer. It was great I'm sure if I kept on drinking it would get counter productive at some point, but one is a good number for me.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 24th, 2010, 10:55 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
I wasn't even sure my milk had come in at first! Savannahs Ped is the one that told me (after seeing her dirty diaper lol). Everyone always told me how much breastfeeding hurts at first and when your milk comes in how engorged your breasts would be etc.. WELL - I've never had ANY pain at all from bfing - and I never got engorged at all when my milk first came in (I do now though - if it's too long in between feedings). So I just thought I was still making colostrum - but nope it just snuck up on me. lol

So yeah - moral - Breastfeeding doesn't always hurt at first and don't think you don't make enough milk if your boobs aren't rock hard and squirting everywhere

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search