Been MIA for MONTHS! And I need help!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Super Mommy
I haven't been able to log on since November...part of the problem was our computer room became the nursery, and my work won't let me log on to the website, then I had the baby and I'm amazed when I can find time to shower, nevermind get online!

Here's an update on me....12 days overdue I finally had my baby girl Lilah Grace on 2/1/10. She weighed 7lbs 11oz and was 21 inches long. My labor and delivery was very easy. I labored at home until I couldn't take it anymore and when I got the hospital I was already 5 centimeters!

Life with Lilah has been wonderful. She is such a joy. We had a very hard time breastfeeding in the beginning, but since both of us have the hang of it, it's been super easy. My only problem is I can't seem to get any milk when I use my pump. I'm worried because I go back to work at the end of April and I'm afraid I'll lose my supply if I can't express my milk while I'm at work. I will be able to feed the baby at lunchtime, and in the evenings and on weekends. I have a Lansinoh pump and I just can't seem to let down. I never experienced the engorged breasts or leaking. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

My Lilah

One of me, incase you couldn't remember me!
March 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's totally normal to not get as much pumping as when baby nurses as baby is way more efficient. Lots of women find it helpful to have an article of baby's clothing with so they can smell it and/or a picture of their baby when they pump. This will help with let down. When I pumped all the time in the beginning, I used to read a book. Keeping my mind off how much I was pumping and doing something totally unrelated helped me. There is a relaxant herbal thing you can take that's supposed to help with let down, but I don't remember what it's called. I'm sure you could google it. It's just a liquid and you put one or two drops under your tongue. Women in one of my moms groups have sworn by it.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
You might want to try a different pump, too... I obviously haven't BFd yet, but I've been reading a LOT of reviews on pumps and it seems common that some pumps work for some women, and not for others - something to do with the different cups, types of suction, strength of suction, etc.

Try to avoid Avent pumps though, apparently the motors break down in them easily and they leak everywhere - at least, that's what I've heard.

Of course everyone raves about Medela pumps, but they're on the pricey end of things so it all depends. Maybe try renting one from the hospital and see if you can find one that works for you? That way you won't commit to buying one and have it not work out, that can get expensive!

The other thing I've read is like Celry said, it's perfectly normal to get less BM from pumping than from BFing because babies are just more efficient at getting the BM out.

Something else I've read is that BF is much like everything else related to pregnancy & childbirth, in that your thoughts become reality. They say that worrying about low supply can actually cause low supply problems, something to do with cortisol (the stress hormone) interfering with prolactin (the milk hormone). So maybe like Celry said, try reading a book or focusing on something other than pumping, it might help.

In any case, that's all completely anecdotal as I have no real world BFing experience yet LOL - but I've done a lot of homework, being determined to EBF for at least 6 months, so it might be helpful.

Good luck, and welcome back - your little girl is beautiful!

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
March 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is adorable and you look awesome momma!
March 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Annie!!! Congrats on your little girl. I def remember you.

Ive never pumped so no real advice. I know that not getting much doesnt mean you have a low supply though. Its great you get to feed her at lunchtimes!

Tam exclusivley pumped with Summer I think so she may have some pumping tips. Hope you drop in more often
March 26th, 2010, 04:53 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Hey Annie!!! congrats on Lilah!!! (Z was 12 days late too) She's adorable!

I'd suggest a Medela pump, as well as drinking lots of water and massaging your breasts while you pump. GL!!

March 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Super Mommy
thanks girls. I really don't want to give up breastfeeding. I enjoy it so much.
March 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I don't have anything to add on top of all the other good suggestions, but hope you can make it work!
March 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!! She is adorable and i love her name!

March 29th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Lauren S's Avatar Mom to Brady and Hannah
Hi Annie! Just wanted to say congratulations on little Lilah. You both look great!
March 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
She is adorable...congrats!

March 29th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Super Mommy
thank you so much. We kept her name a secret until she was born. It drove our families crazy!

Lauren, your little Brady is gorgeous! I see you're expecting again, congrats!
March 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is adorable! Congrats! Another pumping tip: If you feed on only one side at a time, try pumping the other side during the feeding. Your breasts usually let down the milk at the same time, so you'll have an easier time pumping if your milk is letting down on the other breast because you are feeding her. This worked wonders for me.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search