this is sad

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a very sad story about a 10 day old baby. This outrages me, that an insurance companies get away with treating people like that.

10-Day-Old Baby Denied Health Care Coverage - cbs11tv.com

Last edited by MommyBeth; March 26th, 2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: changes
March 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
That outrages me. It's disgusting, the things big business gets away with. All in the name of profits, which keep rising and rising.
March 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is my response from the TTC#1 thread:

This is sad, but IMO that bill hurt the insurance industry and you have to wonder whose pockets were padded because of it. BCBS of Texas is just another business trying to survive in the economy. It's really no different than a credit card company denying a person a credit card, or a mortage company denying a person a loan. These companies are taking a risk.

The health reform bill doesn't say that all insurance companies have to take on new clients....and I really think that people will have a hard time finding a reputable insurance company to insure them if they are not insured already and/or have preexisting conditions (key word being reputable). Although the health care reform bill passed, the government doesn't have the authority to regulate how private companies manage their business. All they can do is enact regulations for those companies to follow.

The sad thing is....if the healthcare reform bill would NOT have passed, BCBS probably would have insured this baby. But now because of the upcoming changes/regulations, they have to look out for themselves. And personally, I can't blame them.
March 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
At least they weren't denied medical attention, still sad though.

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
March 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
ummm I thought the healthcare reform bill said that you cannot be denied healthcare because of preexisting conditions, and every american has to have health insurance or can be fined.

ETA: I do not like Obama, but I do like the idea of healthcare reform, but not all that they are doing to healthcare.

Last edited by MommyBeth; March 26th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
March 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
I'm not really sure about the rules down there...but definitely is a sad story, and outraging.

March 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGrl View Post
ummm I thought the healthcare reform bill said that you cannot be denied healthcare because of preexisting conditions
Right now the no denial clause - specifically stating barring insurers from denying coverage to children with pre-existing conditions - doesn't take effect until 6 months after enactment.

Also, there is supposedly something in the bill about those who have insurance vs. those who don't....and if a person doesn't have insurance and can't find coverage, they must settle for the government option (What the exact wording is and what the govt option is, IDK, but I hear the wording of the bill is very loose...which basically means it will be decided upon in the courts).

Last edited by MommaLee; March 26th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
March 26th, 2010, 01:29 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
First off, BCBS would NOT have touched this child before the bill. This is a normal policy of theirs and the exact reason the health bill was put into place!! 2nd, insurance companies have not been hurt by the economy and are not struggling. They raise rates at a much faster rate than costs are going up and they have bigger and bigger profits every year. 3rd, the new bill says you cannot deny for a pre-existing condition, which is what this was, but the new bill hasn't started yet. Also, there isn't a government option, there is a clearing house for private companies that the government is using to make sure that everyone is getting at least a minimum amount of coverage. Big difference.
March 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't work for BCBS of Texas but my healthcare is with them and they do insure people with pre-existing conditions...I know some of those people that have individual policies from them and not from their work that have been insured with pre-existing conditions.

And one of the top reasons for the healthcare bill as I understand it is the increasing mortality rate of the uninsured...not specifically pre-existing conditions.

I will say that I have not read the 1,017 pages of the bill as most politicians have not either, so I am going by news reports and websites. This bill is going to hurt insurance companies, there are reasons for why insurance companies practice the way they do because they are in business of making money....just as other businesses are. If you had a business and was told that you had to provide a service to every person in the United States and you must do it at the cost of X,Y,Z but we are only going to pay you for the cost of X....it is going to hurt the bottom line of the business. It's plain simple economics!
March 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGrl View Post
ummm I thought the healthcare reform bill said that you cannot be denied healthcare because of preexisting conditions, and every american has to have health insurance or can be fined.

ETA: I do not like Obama, but I do like the idea of healthcare reform, but not all that they are doing to healthcare.
I know our insurance sent out a notice to everyone at work stating the following (directly from my email):

No plan or eligibility changes during 2010 as a result of Health Care Reform

Beginning January 1, 2011:
Dependent children (who are not married) can be covered until they turn 26 years of age
Lifetime maximums will be removed
Pre-existing condition exclusion removed for dependent children under age 19
Eliminate cost sharing on many preventive care services
Medicare Advantage Plans: it does not appear that benefits will change in 2011 as a result of Health Care Reform
Medicare Advantage Plans: it is too early to determine what the costs for 2011 will be

So basically I dont think some of the new Bill laws will start until next year? But I could be wrong on that, this is just how the State Health Benefit Plan of Georgia is handling it.

Born June 5, 2010
March 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I don't know who of you play around in the stock market....but as a person who does, your money is better in pharmaceuticals than healthcare insurance! THEIR WALLETS ARE THE ONES THAT GROW BIGGER AND BIGGER. And why pharmaceuticals are pushed onto people. Presidents, as well as politicians, have made millions in the stockmarket thanks to the pharmaceutical industry. They have great lobbyists! And even with falling stocks....they still do well.

I can only imagine how the pharmaceutical industry will benefit from this!
March 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I think a lot of that is because people NEED medicine. People can do without insurance, but not if they need medicine to survive. They can continue to raise the cost of medicine because people will not forego their medicine if it is absolute necessary for them to have. Most elderly people are on multiple pills a day for all sorts of stuff and they have to HAVE that medicine. While insurance can continue to raise the cost of premiums and people can deny that if they want. I think insurance companies and banks are the biggest scammers. I see that they are companies and have to make a profit to survive, but at the same time there does need to be a lot of regulation on them. Having said that, I still do not support the Healthcare Bill because there is SO much more to it than just that and it was rushed to the Senate for a vote leaving Americans clueless as to all the details

Born June 5, 2010
March 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLee View Post
Here is my response from the TTC#1 thread:

This is sad, but IMO that bill hurt the insurance industry and you have to wonder whose pockets were padded because of it. BCBS of Texas is just another business trying to survive in the economy. It's really no different than a credit card company denying a person a credit card, or a mortage company denying a person a loan. These companies are taking a risk.
True!
Which is exactly why life saving health care should NOT be left to private business, IMO. Access to health care should not depend on how much money you make or what insurance your employer manages to set up for you. I hope the parents will find coverage for the baby!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

March 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
MommyPoky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyPoky Send a message via MSN to MommyPoky Send a message via Yahoo to MommyPoky
It is sad, but it is also a strange circumstance. If the parents had been on a family policy and were simply adding another child to the policy, I would think he would be covered. Since they only insure their children (and do not have insurance themselves-a choice the health care bill is taking away, making everyone buy it), the baby was a new person to th insurance company. It's very sad, but I don't think any company would have taken him on in this instance. I just called my insurance - since we are on a two person plan, we have 30 days to add our baby to the plan and she will be backdated coverage to the day she was born. It makes sense, and I hate to blame the parets (who, since they are business owners, will be hit hard by the healthcare bill forcing them to provide coverage for their employees) but it does make logical sense, and they should have called ahead of time to find out how to cover their baby.

Last edited by MommyPoky; March 26th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
March 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Many medicines are given out unnecessarily....I, myself, have partaken in this with Femara to get pregnant. I paid $62 (twice). Many of us on just this site do it. Although, medically, we don't need the drugs.

Alot of doctors will tell you that many problems can be solved through diet....high cholesterol, blood pressure, cancers, etc. And this is even true of children. Attention deficit disorders can be calmed with eliminating processed sugar from the child's diet. But people don't want to do this....restrict Lucky Charms and Fruit Roll-ups?!!! Crazy people, can't we just give them a pill?

There are also European studies that show the use of oxygen to kill viruses...but are you aware that the United States government has banned it's use in here; instead they give millions of dollars to the pharmaceutical industries to develop medicines to prolong the life of those with certain viruses rather than conducting studies of our own based on the research of the Europeans. And these are proven studies by our counterpart, but we ignore them....why? Because the higher-ups who make the decisions have money with these companies. And they watch out for numero uno!

So I'm off....and leaving for the weekend. I only have limited internet access at the house until the people come out with the new router on Sunday. I'm now banning myself from any healthcare reform post because I probably do seem like the bitter old woman....but I look out for numero uno and familia....and in a non-selfish way, everybody does in one way or another. I apologize to anyone if my comments are too harsh.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search