Lyz....and exclusive pumpers

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Instead of bombarding Tonya's post...I thought I'd start another.

Have you always EP and FF?

Since I am going back to work after 7 weeks....I wasn't sure about the right time to introduce a bottle, but I was thinking within the first 2 weeks. But I wanted to pump so that dh could help with the feedings too.

Advice?

Last edited by MommaLee; April 16th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
April 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yes I EP and FF from the beginning. She needed formula in the hospital because her sugars were a bit low in the beginning (I had gestational diabetes). But, I only pumped for 4 weeks. Erin (etph007) is still EP and FF her baby, Ky. She can help with any questions if you want to go that route.

We also BF in the hospital and I started pumping at home. She never had nipple confusion in the hospital with both the breast and bottle.

Everyone says something different about when to introduce a bottle if you are breastfeeding, fyi. Just a warning

April 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Etph007's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't bombard this thread I promise Because I know you weren't asking me but I thought I'd give my 2cents. The best time to introduce the bottle is after breastfeeding is nicely established so that your LO doesn't get nipple confusion. I've also EP for almost 6 months, not by choice. Our LO got a bottle in the hospital and when he was sick and he never really would regain interest in nursing.
April 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I EP'd for 10 months until I got mastitis and lost my supply

Summer didn't have nipple confusion (I was nursing but had to supplement with BM afterwards because she wasn't an efficient nurser) when she was a month old I decided just to EP and did so until she was 10.5 months old
April 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
No actually I appreciate the advice. I've been trying to figure out my plan of how I was going to do this and I didn't know anyone was doing it until I read the post by Lyz.

This is what I was planning to do in my mind....so let me know what your suggestions/advice are, if you don't mind.

I was going to begin bf'ing and either pump one breast (on the assumption that she gets what she needs from one side) or after feedings or engorgement. That way we could start building a supply. I figured that if I could only get so much milk (and dh needed to feed her) we could add an ounce or two of formula to make up for the difference.

Once we start daycare, I was going to officially start EP (and then supplement with formula when necessary). I just need to make sure she will take a bottle and so I thought if I started to transition around the 2 week mark, it might be easier than trying to do it at the 4 week mark.

Does that sound logical?
April 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I think having a plan is a good start. Ans yes, it sounds logical- just keep in mind things may change so don't be dissapointed if they do.

You could feed from one side and pump the other to start stashing away a freezer supply. If you happen to be one who has an oversupply to begin with, this may make you produce a lot so just be prepared. More than likely, once you establish a routine, your breasts will adjust.

Like Lyz said, all babies are different (therefore you'll get a hundred different answers on when to introduce the bottle). You kind of have to follow your babies lead. There's really no right/wrong answer. Some struggle with nipple confusion, some don't. My son was also premature and very weak so he had a hard time sucking. Sucking from the breast and bottle are two different skills. I would give BF a good 3 weeks at least (IMO) before introducing a bottle.

Good luck!!!! If you plan to EP you definitely want to invest in a good pump. I would suggest renting a hospital grade pump. Let me know if I can answer an other pumping questions!

Tam- That's awesome you made it 10.5 months, I really hope I can too! Did you have issues with clogged ducts or anything or did the mastitis come out of nowhere? I am SO nervous for this. Did you have a good supply or did you supplement? I have a terrible supply
April 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etph007 View Post
I think having a plan is a good start. Ans yes, it sounds logical- just keep in mind things may change so don't be dissapointed if they do.

You could feed from one side and pump the other to start stashing away a freezer supply. If you happen to be one who has an oversupply to begin with, this may make you produce a lot so just be prepared. More than likely, once you establish a routine, your breasts will adjust.

Like Lyz said, all babies are different (therefore you'll get a hundred different answers on when to introduce the bottle). You kind of have to follow your babies lead. There's really no right/wrong answer. Some struggle with nipple confusion, some don't. My son was also premature and very weak so he had a hard time sucking. Sucking from the breast and bottle are two different skills. I would give BF a good 3 weeks at least (IMO) before introducing a bottle.

Good luck!!!! If you plan to EP you definitely want to invest in a good pump. I would suggest renting a hospital grade pump. Let me know if I can answer an other pumping questions!

Tam- That's awesome you made it 10.5 months, I really hope I can too! Did you have issues with clogged ducts or anything or did the mastitis come out of nowhere? I am SO nervous for this. Did you have a good supply or did you supplement? I have a terrible supply
Nope I have NEVER had any issues at all!! I woke up the morning we were heading to Hawaii and I was really really sore, the night before I didn't do a full pump (or the few pumps prior to that) because I was running around getting things ready. I tried to pump in the car on the way to the airport and I only got 2oz combined.... this was a HUGE sign something was up. My morning pump usually gave me the days worth of milk I had an oversupply was getting 50-60oz a day.

By the time we got to Hawaii I was in SO much pain, I had a fever and didn't feel well at all. I had the cab driver stop at a Walgreens so I could run in and buy some formula because I only had 2 bottles of EBM left and I only pumped 2oz.

I ended up at Urgent Care in Hawaii and on antibiotics for the mastitis. Because I was on vacation (and it was with my family who I hadn't seen in 7 months) I started supplementing with formula. I do regret that I didn't 'try' harder but really who wants to spend all their time in the hotel room pumping while the family are off on the beach If I didn't have mastitis I would have been fine pumping my usual (at that point 3x per day)

EPing IS hard I am not going to lie. That said this time around if Ashton can't BF he will go onto formula. IMO I don't think its fair to Summer if I spend the first few months attached to a pump every few hours.

A great website I found when I was pumping was this one: Mother-2-Mother.com
April 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Oh it is definitely hard!!! That's awful about your vacation I've heard more women with oversupply get mastitis than those with an undersupply, but maybe that's just a coincidence? I hope I'm in the clear because from what I understand, it's awful! You did great sticking it out 10.5 months though! Thanks for the website!
April 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not an EP (not yet anyways!) but I figure I will be when I go back to work as well. Is that wierd to plan to EP?! Anyways, I want DH to be able to help with feedings also (he has insomnia and is a night owl and I'm a morning person, so we figure I can rest while he's up and vice versa) so I've done alot of research on EPing. I have a couple of websites bookmarked so I figured I'd share them.

Ameda - Breast Pumping Basics: How to Bring in a Full Milk Supply with a Breast Pump

kellymom.com :: Links: Exclusive Pumping
April 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
it's not weird at all to EP! That was my plan from the beginning because BF honestly skeeved me out (my opinion changed when I delivered..it wasn't so weird anymore)! But, I wasn't prepared how hard it was going to be to choose between sleep at night or get up an pump when your baby is asleep. I struggled with that so I wasn't a good EP
I even was hanging out on the EP mommies page, bought an EP book to read, etc. My problem was that Bella ate SO much I couldn't keep myself up for her demand so we had to supplement anyway.

I agree with Tam for my next baby too. My sister is having a hard time EP with a 2.5 year old and a newborn!

April 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Since my lo has bottle issues I thought I'd let you know my experience. We started to introduce the bottle at 4 weeks and tried at least 5 out of 7 days a week with NO success. Even with returing to work he still won't take a bottle or sippy cup and went 8 hours without any milk. I've had to work into my teaching schedule to nurse him at lunch but I never thought I'd be in this situation. Anyways my point is that you should follow your heart with when to introduce a bottle. Next time I think I will try a little earlier.

April 16th, 2010, 05:53 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
holy cow Tam, you had 50-60oz per day!!!!
WOW!!
If I can pump 3oz, it is a miracle...

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to need to supplement when I go back to work (2 weeks)...cause there is no possible way that I can pump enough for what he wants to eat...I think I'm restricting his growth in a way simply because I dont have as much as he wants to eat...

FWIW, Kaiden got the bottle for the first time at 3 weeks and loved it - and still loves the boob...he loves anything with food in it
April 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm glad you shared your story Jodi. I would like to provide BM for the first 6 months, so I'm going to try my best to do it. And although I was going to buy a pump maybe I'll check out renting a hospital grade one.

Thanks ya'll.
April 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
Lee Ann...I am planning on breast feeding, but once I am past the point of when they suggest there would be no nipple confusion, I plan on pumping. DH wants to help out with feedings, and wants to be able to have that connection with Rayanne, so I will be doing both breast feeding, and bottle feeding. (not sure what EP is... )

April 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
EP is exclusively pumping. In my mind....I just think it would be easier for us if dh was able to help with the feedings so it's not all on me. And I think it would help me get more sleep. So I hope I can get my plan to work out.
April 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do BF and pump. Connor got his first bottle at exactly 3 weeks. I was really scared of nipple confusion but he took a bottle so easy and then went right back to the breast. Every baby is different.

I think it took me about 2 weeks or so for my supply to start evening out, so I didn't start pumping until then. Mostly because the LC told me if I started pumping to early, as well as BFing, that I could have problems with leaking alot when I went back to work.

After about 2 weeks my breasts were no longer getting so engorged and they were producing the right amount that Connor was eating, so I started adding a pumping session into my routine. I have enough milk now that I can go back to work and still have plenty.

It might be helpful to get some advice from the LC at the hospital you deliver.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

April 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I just wanted to add (for new moms) that even though you pump to let your DH help with overnight feedings, you will likel STILL have to get up in the middle of the night to pump. GRanted, it's much easier if you're only up to pump, not pump and feed but I just wanted to give you a heads up. I think I had unrealistic expectations that I'd actually get a full nights rest if I pumped...
April 17th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I BF during the day and bottled fed pumped milk at night for a few months. My kids never had any nipple confusion. We started giving them bottles in the hospital and pretty much didn't stop until they refused them around 3 months. Little stinkers. They refused them because my milk is high in lipase and they didn't like the taste. It had nothing to do with the nipples. I figured that out later.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etph007 View Post
I think I had unrealistic expectations that I'd actually get a full nights rest if I pumped...
No expectations here! I plan on letting dh get a good nights sleep and then I can nap during the day while he watches her. At least one of us will be rested. I guess we'll find out how well that works out soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search