What you need the first month....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm starting a list of what I am going to need (or should have on hand) for the first month and I plan to start buying starting May....so tell me what you used, made sure you had, stockpiled, made your first month easier, etc. so I can add it to my list if I don't already have it

Thanks!!!
April 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
GREAT idea! We're moving 1 month after the baby is born and the Army will be packing the majority of our stuff so we need to only keep the necessities out till the last minute!

April 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
I needed:

Burp Cloths or receiving blankets to use as burp cloths. Can never have too many.
Swaddler was a life saver. We had a miracle blanket.
Carrier (ergo, moby, etc) was essential when I needed to make dinner or something.
baby swing was also a necessity.
Quick & easy meals, since I was still the one that cooked & cleaned.
we also had a baby lullaby CD that was a god send, and still is. It is called Golden Slumbers: Father's Lullaby or something like that. AWESOME.
Breast pads until your boobs quit all that leaking!
A soft night light was also essential.

I am sure I will think of more soon- I am doing this one handed lol so excuse the typos!

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

April 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks...I've got those bases covered so far except for the music. Keep 'em coming if you think of more.
April 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think there is a thread of this in the stickies?

I'm a huge advocate of the swaddler blanket. It was a real lifesavor for us.
Different bottles/nipples for her to try (baby might not like what you buy!)
breast pads/nipple cream (a must!)
bouncy seat so she could hang out while cooking dinner/showering/etc.
lots of bips and burp cloths for spit ups

I feel like those days are sooo long ago!! I'll add more if I think of anything

April 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
chloe12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Baby wipes - I can't believe how much we've gone through!
April 23rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
I didn't even think to ck the stickies....and it sounds like I've got most things covered from what ya'll are naming.

What about medication wise and what did ya'll use as far as wash, lotion, etc?

I figure I'll buy a humidifier to have on hand....mylicon drops, tylenol, diaper rash ointment. And I wanted to use California baby or Aveeno wash....anyone use those and like one better over the other?
April 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
definitely a humdifier. I used little tummy's gas drops instead of mylicon. Bella liked them better. Also a boogy sucker and saline drops (get the boogy sucker from the hospital...its better then those in stores).

We used Huggies baby wash and lotion. I have both regular and lavendar kind.

April 24th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
we got in a HUGE tub of nappy cream and it rarely got used b4 we moved

along with other stuff people have said, definatly plenty of nappies if your using sposies and wipes
April 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Super Mommy
Newborn sized diapers. ( I had planned on using the diapers I was given at my shower, but they were all size ones, and didn't fit her.)
Breast soothies. - you can put them in the fridge and use them after you nurse. It's heavenly.
nipple cream for sure!
April 24th, 2010, 02:11 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
Totally forgot to mention the nose sucker and Little Noses saline drops. Lots of newborns get really congested... Alice had horrible congestion when she was tiny.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

April 25th, 2010, 08:44 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have used a ton of wipes and newborn diapers. I highly recommend getting some waterproof pads for on top of the changing table. We have the Babies R Us boppy ones and it keeps us from having to change the cover all the time. Marina has had a little projectile poo at times and those covers have been so handy! Also we have used California Baby Calendula cream for her baby acne and it works great plus it can be used for eczema and diaper rash. Our Moby wrap has been pretty handy and puts her right to sleep so I can get housework done. Also, you can never have too many burp cloths! Hope that helps!

April 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
This is a good thread for me too Lee Ann since I'm having my shower after.

P.S. I did get your gift on Thursday, but hadn't had time to be on JM since then, I am going to post pictures today or tomorrow...thanks so much sweetie...you are way too kind...and yours is hopefully going in the mail this week.

April 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Glad you got it Marci.
April 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
ca_dawson's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only a week in, so don't have much input, but Lexi loves her bouncy seat! We use that all the time, since all she really does is sleep when she's not eating or pooing! I also use the boppy alot. Actually I use that for myself to sit on when I'm not using it for her. It helps alot with the painful stitches. Its actually hard for me to sit at all without it.
April 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just a tought, do not stock up on one of any kind.... example Johnsons and Johnsons lotion/baby wash. My LO is too sensitive and we cannot use them, and I have a TON!!!!!

Other things to have on hand, definetly the Mylicon or gas drops of sort

April 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely don't stock up on lotion until you know what you're going to use. My DD broke out in bumps after I tried J&J lotion on her. Now we use Aveeno for lotion and bath soap - I LOVE the smell!

Other things to have:
Swing!
Boppy
breast pads and lanolin
burp rags - LOTS
Newborn diapers
WIPES - get a lot!

I've barely used Mylicon or diaper rash cream, and I've never used Tylenol. So maybe wait to stock up until you know how your LO will be. I also never got a special swaddling blanket, like the Miracle Blanket. We just used regular blankets to swaddle her in and continue to do so. Though I hear a lot of people love the Woombies.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks!

Now, what would you all consider a bunch of wipes?

I have 4 of the large refill boxes that have around 448 wipes each and then 2 of the containers that can be refilled. Should I pick up another box or so at Sams?
April 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Brandielou's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope you don't mind me adding in. I helped my best friend raise her son and before then I had never changed a diaper

As far as the wipes go, I used about a tub or so a week and I also used sposies and I LOVED Huggies for diapers and wipes (it is just my opinion, though) and I tried all the pricier diapers as well because even though I didn't have a child of my own I always wanted to use Pampers because they always seemed like the 'good brand' but learned Huggies were thicker and I still buy the wipes for myself for different things.

Being careful with the lotions and things is a good idea but I would have died without the Bedtime bath. I used the soap and the lotion and he would be just so calm when I put him in his jammies! And congestion was also a problem for us (and was for almost a year) so if it becomes a problem try some of the menthol bubble bath because it really helped to soothe him as well. I would also suggest lots of jammies/onezies/easy change outfits because it is amazing how many clothes we went through

But you may also want to begin a little stash of some of your favorite things (movies, magazines, books, snacks, cute pajamas or cute comfy outfits you can wear all day and still feel nice around DH) that make you feel a little better because my best friend had a hard time with postpartum and I would try to change into matching clothes by the time DH got home but sometimes didn't and felt like frumpy But those are just my opinions though

Thank you HeatherW for my beautiful siggy!
April 27th, 2010, 06:00 AM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I highly recommend Award winning baby produt- Place Your Order Here! This was a huge life saver I wish I had from day one.

Also:

Boppy lounger (Brevan hated his swing so it was a good backup to have)
Load up on Aquaphor
Gas drops
A case of wipes
Binkies (We never planned on using them but Brevan had other plans lol)

Last edited by ChristinaR; April 27th, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search