S.O.S.! I'm losing my mind here!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Super Mommy
My dd has refused to sleep in her crib or bassinett since the day we brought her home from the hospital. I didn't mind her sleeping in her swing, because she started sleeping through the night and napping like a champ.

Now, I'm two weeks away from going back to work and I'm trying to get her to sleep in her crib. I'm worried she'll grow out of her swing and we'll be stuck with an even bigger problem. I do everything that I've always done at bedtime. She gets a nice warm bath, clean pajamas, some cuddle/play time, then I breastfeed her and put her down. When she was sleeping in her swing, she would go right down. I put her in her crib and 2 minutes later she is screaming.

Last night was a three hour showdown of her up and down again and again and me getting frustrated to the point of tears. She finally fell asleep at 12:30, but woke up again at 4:00a.m.

I just don't know what do to. Any suggestions would be helpful.
April 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I'm sorry Annie!!! we went through that with Z....but he didn't sleep all night in his swing, we co-slept and wanted him to be in his own bed/room before #2 comes along....

Honestly, it's going to take some time, tears, frustrating long nights.....but if you stick to it and continue to do the same thing everytime she cries when you put her in her crib, she'll learn and the habit will be broken and a new one created. this is what we did with DS...it took like 4 days for him to get used to his crib. DH helped me with it. Anytime he cried we would pick him up, cuddle/hug him, put him back down, patting his back and sometimes singing/humming as well.

It's a bit rough the first few times but it does get easier adn easier. each night he would woke up less and less and less. and now finally he sleeps thru the night.

other ideas- give her a baby massage, try a lullably cd or singing to her, trying a night light or one of those wombie bears?

Good luck and i know what you are going thru, it's hard!!! hang in there- it'll get easier- stick to something...

April 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Super Mommy
Do you sleep Zane on his tummy? I've been putting her down on her back, because that's what all the books say to do to reduce the risk of SIDS. The only reason I'm nervous about the SIDS is because we've had a SIDS related death in our family.

Maybe I'll try her tummy tonight. Sleeping her on her side doesn't work. She wiggles and and ends up on her back!
April 24th, 2010, 02:56 AM
We usually would put him on his tummy- honestly not worried about SIDS, i've read so many things and how i believe that has nothing to do with it but he's all over the place- he's a tosser like me, his side, back, tummy, it all depends. Sorry her side doesn't work, if you are worried about tummy/sids you could get one of those sleep positioners or even the sleep wedge- i know many people have success with them.

April 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Bella hated to sleep flat in her crib! We also had her basinnet propped up on an angle. So when it came time for her to sleep flat, she was not happy!

We used the nap nanny. It's honestly the best thing EVER! It's pricey but saved us big time. you can find it on amazon.com for cheaper and free shipping. Now that she's 6 months we stopped using it and she sleeps fine in her crib with a wedge under her mattress (she has silent reflux).

I wish you luck girlie! I know it can be rough

April 24th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
just sending you hugs Annie, we cosleep for the most part so not much help from me
x
April 24th, 2010, 07:37 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyz View Post

We used the nap nanny. It's honestly the best thing EVER! It's pricey but saved us big time. you can find it on amazon.com for cheaper and free shipping. Now that she's 6 months we stopped using it and she sleeps fine in her crib with a wedge under her mattress (she has silent reflux).
So glad to hear this....I've heard lots of good things about them even from a local person here. I'm going to buy one also. The cheapest I've found is at albeebaby.com - you get 15% off so the total is $110 with free shipping.
April 24th, 2010, 10:21 AM
*Mommy2Camden*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try letting her fuss herself to sleep. I bet she'll be used to the crib in no time.

April 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Super Mommy
My dh is a genious! I had a feeling the way I was laying her down was waking her up. I made dh do it last night and she stayed down. I asked him what he did, and when he put her down, he bounced the mattress up and down to help settle her down until she fell back asleep. She stayed in there from 10:00 to 3:00, fed and went back down until 6:00. I hope this keeps working!
April 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
thats great to hear Annie!

April 25th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
I ditto the nap nanny. We couldn't get Haylea out of the swing either but it wasn't the swinging it was the reclined position. She LOVES sleeping in the nap nanny and she sleeps so well in it. She absolutely hates laying flat. We tried and tried and had so many nights of me going in there every hour all night long and it wasn't working. We finally gave in to the nap nanny and it has been great! I know we will have to eventually wean out of it but for now it works. I think she may have some reflux issues when she is flat so hopefully she can grow out of it and we will be able to stop using the nap nanny.
April 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Super Mommy
I thought about using the Nap Nanny and if I thought she had a problem with reflux I would. She just likes the reclined position. She falls alseep in her car seat and bouncy chair all the time. I just didn't want to have to wean her off of one more thing. I think she's adjusting. If I end up having more troubles when I go back to work I might try it. I just don't know if I'd be asking for more problems later.

April 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still do the bouncing mattress when they wake in the middle of the night. It's a great trick to have up your sleeve. You can use a tshirt you've worn as the basinett sheet. That way she smells you and is less likely to wake. You can also try warming up the crib or basinett with a hot water bottle or heater before you put her in it. Just make sure you remove the heater before she goes into the crib.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhonea View Post
I thought about using the Nap Nanny and if I thought she had a problem with reflux I would. She just likes the reclined position. She falls alseep in her car seat and bouncy chair all the time. I just didn't want to have to wean her off of one more thing. I think she's adjusting. If I end up having more troubles when I go back to work I might try it. I just don't know if I'd be asking for more problems later.
I was worried about this too but it was SOOO easy to transition her out of the nap nanny to her regular mattress. We use a wedge under her mattress still though.

btw, I'm so happy to hear other mama's who use/used it! I thought my sister was crazy when she bought it, but I am totally diggin' it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search