40 week appt- Needing words of encouragement (x-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just a warning.. this is going to be a little long....

Yesterday was my 40 week appt and lets just say it didn't go as well as i was hoping. I've pretty much made no progress. I'm 1-2 cm dilated (this is the only little difference), still 50% effaced, -1 station, and cervix is posterior. She seemed most concerned about me being posterior. I'm still not sure how I feel about her saying this, but she decided to give me her opinion which is that she doesn't think i'll go into labor on my own, "without some type of help" is how she put it. She said she wouldn't make me do an induction next week but that she doesn't recommend going past 41 weeks & 6 days. She said she would use a balloon catheter to dilate me to a 4 and then hope my body did the rest. I know pretty much nothing about this instrument so i need to do some research, but from what i HAVE learned i don't know whether that would actually help with the posterior position which is what she seemed so concerned with anyway. I've decided to try nipple stimulation and natural techniques in an attempt to help ripen the cervix and bring on labor, but really am not sure if that will help with the position of my cervix. I'm a bit confused as to what i can do. I felt like i still had a little time for Camden to come on his own but now i'm feeling a bit rushed.

My doctor discussed doing the catheter next thursday, but i'm thinking about telling her i want to wait until the following monday (or sunday if she'd actually be willing to) just to give my body a little more time to go into labor on its own. She said she starts getting concerned around 42 weeks because the placenta typically stops working as effectively and the chance of him "going poo" in there increases as well. It's just so hard... i want my baby to be healthy but also give him a chance to come when he's ready and not push him. I'm feeling somewhat discouraged now and "trying" not to let it worry me but it's hard!

If anyone has any information on a posterior cervix, balloon catheter, or better yet any stories of babies coming on their own after 40 weeks I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for listening!

April 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm soooo sorry that things are not going quite the way that you wanted them to go. I've not had my baby yet and when I do it won't be via vaginal. I am a NICU nurse though and anything past 42 weeks you do have alot of increased risks. The meconium (poo) risk is high and the outcome can be bad and require NICU time. The baby can inhale the poo and because it's so thick it can get stuck in the lungs making it hard for him to breath. Not trying to scare you just trying to inform you. I've seen them use all sorts of ripening and contraction inducing methods to get the baby to come. Ultimately it's your decision but I would trust your Dr's judgement. I'm hoping that your body gets to gearing up on it's own.

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

April 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM
tiffanys's Avatar Expecting #1- Fisher
I am of absolutely no help Krista, since I haven't had my baby yet and have no stories to tell! But, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult/discouraging time right now! My prayers are with you and your DH and I pray that God will grant you with the wisdom and knowledge that you need to make the decisions you need to make regarding getting your little boy here as safely as possible for you and for him! Please keep us updated hun!
Blessed Mommy to Fisher and baby#2 Hunter on his way

April 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
*Mommy2Camden*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry chica! I wish I could offer words of encouragement, but as you know I had to be induced at 41 weeks. I was quite upset at first. Did my body not know what it was supposed to do? The good news is, I had a 9 hour labor, pushed for 30 mins, and best of all got to have the vaginal birth I wanted. It will all work out I promise, and you will be holding Camden soon. My best advice is just roll with the punches!!!

April 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
did they strip your membranes? i had that done friday/had him on monday - oh, sunday i also bounced on an exercise ball - a lot!!

i had K at 40wks exactly cause of my amniotic fluid leaking out - so i did end up getting "induced" in a way w/pitocin...it wasnt that bad, but it wasnt exactly my ideal...in the end though, i didnt care cause i got my baby boy out safe and sound and looking back had a wonderful birth experience...

i would have done induction at 41wks b/c of the increased risks of going much beyond that...

from what i understand, once your cervix thins, it wont matter if it is posterior...and you should be fine for a vaginal birth...the balloon thing was used on a few in my ddc to get them a bit further along before starting any medication??

its going to be over soon, cant wait to meet your little boy!
dont stress too much about getting the perfect birth, it will never be exactly as you imagined...remember, no matter what, the ultimate goal is a safe and healthy little boy at the end

GL!
April 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just dropping off some BIG

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

April 29th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have two stories for you :

One of my girlfriends just had her baby on April 18 at 42 weeks, they didn't induce she had her naturally. Her first baby also didn't come until 42 weeks. She just bakes her babies longer than most women Her baby was born healthy at 9.5lbs !!! She also came really fast, only 2 hours of labour!!

My bestfriend just had her third daughter a week ago and she also went until 41 weeks 5 days, they did not induce. She was scheduled for an induction the next day but baby came on her own

You probably just bake your babies longer, on average first time babies come around 41 weeks I hope that you don't have to induce and that Camden decides to come on his own!!!

Have you tried inserting Evening Primerose Oil? That might help!! Just remember that your cervix could change in the next few days, just have faith!!!

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

April 29th, 2010, 09:22 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
i know what you are going thru for the most part Krista

Z was born at 41w 5d....if you want to PM me feel free!!!! i've been in your shows. I wasnt even dilated at 40 weeks- that was rough hearing for me. I'd love to encourage you and give you tons of natural tips

April 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Super Mommy
I don't know much about any of those methods, but my Dr. saw me on a Friday when I was at 41 weeks and scheduled me for an induction for the following Tuesday. I was 0 centimeters dilated and my cervix was still firm. I went home feeling sad because I didn't want to be pregnant anymore, and I thought I would go into labor on my own. Sunday night, I started cramping, but I kept telling myself that they were braxton hicks because I was scheduled to have my baby on Tuesday. At 4:30a.m., Moday morning I couldn't take it anymore and dh drove me to the hospital, where we found out I was 5 centimeters! I had Lilah at 1:48p.m., that day.
So, don't give up! It can happen. And, I didn't do any of the old wives tales. I actually just sat around the house that day!

April 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Sorry you didn't get to hear the news you wanted to at your appointment! I agree that he doesn't need to be rushed, so you still have some time. I hope your labor starts soon!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
April 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
chloe12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry Krista! I was in the same position as you, with the posterior cervix, it was so much so, that I couldn't even get my membranes stripped. Unfortunately, I had to be induced at 41w1d, but like Andrea, I got the vaginal birth I wanted, after a 6 1/2 hour labor, and now have my beautiful son in my arms. I still wish I would have been able to have the experience of having contractions at home and thinking "this is it!!", but as everyone says - in the end it's all the same, my baby is here and healthy and yours will be too.

I totally know how you feel, I felt so disappointed in my body for not going into labor on it's own, but my body sure came through for me during labor and delivery!

*Hugs*
April 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Cheryl_W's Avatar Izzy's Mom!
Send a message via MSN to Cheryl_W
Aww I'm sorry Krista... I wish I could be of more help, but I do have some stuff that my midwife has told me - like the actual average "birthday" for first babies of caucasian women is 41 weeks 1 day, not 40 weeks... And that a midwife is still allowed to handle your care until 43 weeks here, THEN you have to go be induced by a doctor (so obviously they don't see anything wrong with going to 43 weeks...)

There are other natural induction methods you can use... This is the method that most midwives use around here when you start getting close to 43 weeks and there is no sign of labor yet, to avoid the need for a medical induction - but ONLY use it as a last resort, because it gives you killer diarrhea and nausea...

Castor Oil to Induce labor

GL sweetie!

Big huge hugz and thanks to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

- and -
April 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally get you not wanting to be induced, but it's really not that bad! You have the same end result....a beautiful little baby. If it were me, I would want to be induced at 41 weeks, not 42. Your dr is right about the placenta getting crummy and the meconium is a huge deal after 41 weeks.

Are you planning to have a natural child birth? I don't remember reading about this topic either way. If you have any thoughts to having an epidural, I would schedule an induction after your 41 week appt.

Lots (and some on this board too) have gone into labor on their own once they get that induction date. It won't make you any less of a good mommy if you have to be induced.

The foley bulb (the balloon sh'es talking about) can help you dilate to 4 so that way if/when they start pitocin you can be that far enough along to have an epidural and it not stall you. I've known a few friends who had that and had success.

Best of luck and try not to get discouraged!!! sometimes babies need alittle coaxing to come out. case in point, my sister walked aroud 7cm dilated for a whole WEEK and never went into labor. She had to be induced. Her body just doesn't know how to go into real labor. But, she had a very nice/easy vaginal birth. (for both of her kids, she was 5cm with her first for 10 days before induction).

April 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I've decided to stay positive (as best i can). I'm going to try different things to help him come on his own, and if next week rolls around and he's still not here then i will ask my doctor to strip my membranes to give him one last shot and schedule the induction for a few days later. That's all i can do. I know it will work out no matter what

Lyz- Yes I am going to try to go med-free.

April 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
Hey Krista, I am absolutely no help. I'm so sorry.

I do have a friend that was going over, and she took castor oil to get her little guy going. She drank half the bottle, and was in labor 12 hours labor. The other good news, is it does a good job of "evacuating" her system...(going number 2) to reduce the chance of going while in labor. I don't know if this would be too much intervention for you, but it is something to think about.

A bit of the castor oil does go into your blood system, but as far as I know, it doesn't have any side effects on the baby. A friend of mine is supposed to be getting back to me with another one that doesn't enter your blood stream at all. I hope he decides to make an appearance soon. I would like to see him, as I'm sure you would too.

P.S. I should mention, my friend did say it was the grossest thing she ever drank in her life.

April 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM
ChristinaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry, I know how you feel. I was 8 days late and the only thing that worked for me...and everyone kept telling me this but I was so uncomfortable I didn't want to but...yeah I'm going to say it...SEX. Not just sex but you have to orgasm lol. I kept reading how the chemical that is released at the time of orgasm starts contractions naturally and let me tell you I started have contractions 3 hours later. It works I would give it a shot lol. I didn't try the castrol oil so I can't really say. Hope he comes soon. Good luck!

April 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any stories but I feel that I can say this. Trust your dr and her advice. You know she is looking out for best for you and your little boy! I have always wanted to try natural but if the health of my baby is at risk I will do whatever is neccessary to make sure she is Safe even- even if that means my plans have to change. But go with your gut feeling/ mommy intuition and everything will be fine! Thinking bout you!

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

April 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry you had such a disappointing appointment. I was dilated one centimeter for weeks before I went into labor and Marina wasn't engaged at all. My doula recommended evening primrose oil and that is definately what got my labor going. One day I took 3 orally and that evening two vaginally. I had a lot of contractions that evening. The next day I only took the oral and went into labor that evening. My doula said she highly recommends avoiding the castor oil because she has never heard good things about it. I really hope your little one comes on his own and that you don't need to be induced. She had a lot of positive stories about the balloon catheter as well. Can't wait to meet Camden!

April 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hugs!!! I hope he decides to come on his own and soon!

It took Billy an induction date to be set and he came on his own 2 days after it was scheduled. I did ALOT of walking, red raspberry tea, bouncing on an exercise ball, and DTD.

My friend had the balloon catheder, she was 1cm, and it got her to 3cm. She was actually sent home from her induction since she wasn't making any progress (she was around 39 weeks) and her water ended up breaking about 5 days later. I've heard a lot of people say that getting their membranes sweeped helped get things moving.

Hang in there, I hope you go on your own and get your natural delivery

April 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Angel_Maker
The balloon cath is called a folley (sp) catheter and it was used in the induction of my boys....

It is quite painful and in hindsight, I wish I hadn't done it....I'm so worried about how it may have permanently damaged my cervix. Basically they put water in the balloon and tie a weight to the other end and let it hang off the end of the bed....the pressure from the balloon forces the cervix open

Scary stuff...I PRAY he comes on his own

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search