Harlow's World

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi guys!! Here is my birth story!!

I went to my doctorís appointment on the afternoon of Thursday, December 16th and found out I could not see my doctor that day because she was called in for an emergency at another hospital. I was extremely disappointed as I was supposed to check in that night to start my induction and would have liked to see the doctor that was going to deliver me. I saw another doctor in my practice (whom I canít stand) and she examined me. I was 2 Ĺ cm dilated and our baby was very low. The other doctor determined that I did not have to be admitted to the hospital that night and told us that we should just arrive at 5 AM the next day to start my induction. She made this determination because I was already dilated and effaced enough to start the induction without cervadil. I wasnít thrilled with this news either, as my doctor had never discussed this option with me. Then, we went in for an ultrasound to determine the babyís weight since she had been measuring pretty big. The tech gave us a guess of 8 pounds 12 ounces. Although it was slightly frightening to hear that weight, I knew we had a bigger baby before that ultrasound and we were still going to give the induction a shot! As we left the ultrasound room, we ran into my doctor in the hallway! She had just made it back from her emergency and went over the appointment with us. She told us she sill wanted us to go to the hospital that night and start the pitocin early in the morning, around 3. So we left the office feeling much better that we got to see our doctor and we were still headed to the hospital that night, which we were ready for!

We drove home from the appointment and walked into our house to a frightening sight. Empty chocolate wrappers. I immediately freaked out and started crying. My dog had gotten into a bunch of Christmas candy I bought that morning. My husband got on the phone with our vet while my mom tried to stop me from hyperventilating and going into labor! I knew it was my fault for leaving the chocolate on the counter where she could get to it and at that moment, I thought she was going to die. We finally decided to go the 24-hour emergency vet and get her stomach pumped. Even though the amount she ate wasnít too dangerous, she would have had diarrhea and we didnít want to come home from the hospital to that mess. My mom also stayed at our house that night to watch over her so I could just relax at the hospital knowing my first-born baby was safe and sound, lol. So, now itís around 7 PM and we still have to get ourselves to the hospital by 9 PM and we havenít even had our last dinner. So, we packed up the car, said goodbye to Leyla the dog, and drove off!!!

Once we got to the hospital, I got my IV line started (after 3 attempts) and they gave me an ambiem to sleep. Around 3 AM, the pitocin was started and I slept soundly until 7 AM or so when the nurses changed shifts. Then, I met who would be my labor nurse, Monique. At first I was like, Oh you are way too chipper lady, but she ended up being awesome. My doctor arrived around 8 AM to break my bag of waters. That went without a hitch. The meds continued to be increased until I was having major contractions back to back. I knew I was headed for an epidural eventually so asked if it would slow down my labor process (which I had heard before). Once I was told it wouldnít slow things down, in fact, it would probably speed things up, since the meds could be increased faster I gave in and said I wanted my epi around 10. By 10:30, I had it in. Not after they missed the epidural space and got a vein first though. When they injected the test medicine, my heart rate went from the 80ís to the 110ís in a matter of seconds. I started to get dizzy almost went out. Since that is the reason why they do a test dosage of meds first, they knew what was going on and that is the moment when Monique and me became best friends. I started crying because it was so scary to have my heart rate speed up like that. This is when she had me leaning up against her chest as the doctor worked on my back. She calmed me back down, wiped my tears away, and they were able to start the epidural in the correct space. Soon enough I had relief from the contractions.

I just spent the next 5 hours or so resting as much as I could to prepare myself for pushing. Around 2:15 I told Dax that I felt the pressure that Monique told me about. He ran out and got her to check me. I was 10 cm and fully effaced, ready to push. She told me to do a practice push. When I did, she quickly told me to stop and not push again or she was going to have to catch the baby! So, now I was in that horrible time period where you have to wait for the doctor to arrive to push. My legs were shaking so badly and the epidural was wearing off so I could feel to push. It was a nerve racking time because I was anxious, feeling more pain, but also encouraged because of my practice push with Monique. I thought maybe I wouldnít have it so bad! After 25 minutes of waiting, the doctor finally arrived and it was time to push. I pushed for 30 minutes and our little miracle baby was born! Harlow Connelly arrived at 3:15 PM, weighted 8 pounds 3.7 ounces and was 20 ĺ inches long. I had to have an episiotomy and tore a little after that so I had to be stitched up. Of course, I didnít feel that at all. The best part was, once they cleaned her up and gave her back to me, everyone left and we got to spend the next 30 minutes marveling at her beauty by ourselves. Dax had prepared a song list on my iphone so we just chilled and got to know our daughter. It was such a peaceful birth, and everything went just the way I would have wanted. There were no stressful moments, it just went without any issues.

Unfortunately I have to add this last part if I am telling the whole story. After the epidural really wore off, I started to feel the soreness in my lower region. It was pretty bad so I told the night shift nurse I was really in pain. She examined me and found a huge cluster of hemorrhoids which have ended up being the most painful part of my daughterís birth. Who would have thought that hemorrhoids and ensuing constipation AFTER birth would be the worst pain I have ever felt in my life? I still am dealing with them 11 days later and probably will for another week or so. Of course, just looking at my daughter makes every ounce of pain worth it.

I look back on everything with such a happy heart. I know lots of women have negative birth experiences and I am so glad that we did not. The hospital staff was amazing from the start and I was able to have the doctor of my choice deliver me whom I had total confidence in. My husband was wonderful and has continued to be wonderful taking care of us both. I cry just thinking about how amazing he already is as a father and husband to me. And my daughter is happy, healthy and thriving with us. We had reached a point after trying for a year to conceive and learning that we were dealing with infertility that we may never be parents. Now, we are holding the most precious perfect little person that is part me and part him. And that is my birth story. Thanks for reading!

LolasMama3 by LoLo's Mama, on Flickr

Thank you Gray's Mama for my awesome siggy!

December 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad that you had a good labour/birth experience. I hope that the hemorrhoids clear up soon (I have a couple too).
December 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beautiful story am so glad it was so perfect...feel ya on the hemorrhoids though...they gave me stool softeners and witch hazel which really helped but it lasted for weeks...

Ps where. In fl are you?
December 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
Great story Jess. Sounds like it went perfectly! She is totally worth it all!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
December 28th, 2010, 07:22 AM
JessMitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Jess you almost had me tearing up there! I'm glad everything went so smoothly for you and I can only hope for somewhat similar of an experience! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl and make sure you continue to post pictures!... daily!? hehe I can't get enough of little baby pictures!

December 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad you had such a wonderful birthing experience! I completely feel you on the hemorrhoids! I'm dreading that more than anything next time around. Hope you and Harlow are doing great! Beautiful name by the way!

December 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay!!! You asked for pictures!!! Here are just a few, hehehe

That's all for now!!! Any votes for the birth announcement photo??

December 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Awww those are great jess! I absolutely love the one of her screaming in the striped hat! I really like the flower one, but what if you did it in B&W for the announcement.

Does she have jaundice? Her face reminds me a bit of Tyler's but it could just be my coloring on my computer. I can't figure out how to adjust it and some colors are coming up VERY bright.

December 31st, 2010, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She's a doll! I love all of the little hats!!!

December 31st, 2010, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, she was jaundice! You can really tell in some of the early day photos. Thankfully, it is all cleared up now. She weighed in at 8 lbs 6.5 oz at her 2 week appointment so that is great!

Everything else checked out good at her appointment. I am having some issues BF and latch. I hope we get the hang of it soon, I am tired of being in pain the whole time!! She is getting frustrated too. She is more expressive too, it is hard to see her upset when she is trying to hard to latch on properly!!!!
LO crying now, have to come back later!

December 31st, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thats a great weigh-in jess. Tyler had jaundice and was really yellow! That was no fun!

Sorry to hear you're having latch issues. Bfing is harder than i thought but i'm sure you'll both be doing better soon.

January 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Jess~ Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful, you must be over the moon! (stalking you from TTCw/ MFI)

My Ovulation Chart
January 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
I love your new siggie! She is so beautiful and I love all that hair!!! I hope mine has that much hair when she comes out! So how have the first few weeks been going?! I hope BF'ing gets easier for you guys... i'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon!

January 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's been so long since I updated! Everything is going very well with us!!!! Hubby is going back to work next Monday so I am sad!! I will now officially be in charge all the time and have no help at nighttime anymore...unless I really need it I guess. He has been so awesome helping with EVERYTHING! I am so blessed to have such an amazing guy. Harlow too!

I have a big test that I am taking Thursday, if I pass, I do not have to teach anymore!! So, yeah, it's a big deal. I already took it once and failed by a marginal amount so this is round two! I have been crazy studying at least 2 hours per day for the last 2 months, for sure the last month, which sounds insane I know since I DO have a 5 WEEK OLD CHILD!! But, I'm prepared for it, and all I can do is have faith that I am ready for it. So, that is what has been on my mind lately. That is another thing DH has been amazing for. I couldn't have done it if he hadn't been home this last month. No way. So, I am real glad that he was able to stay home. The test is only offered 3 times per year so I would of had to wait until Spring for the next opening.

Harlow is doing awesome!! I hate to admit it, but she has started to smile....that is smiles at the freaken ceiling fan. Not her mom who hasn't had more than 3 consecutive hours of sleep since her birth because I am constantly fulfilling all her nutrition needs, not her dad who hold her, cuddles her and loves on her...nope. All the glory goes to the ceiling fan. It is still pretty cute. We are dead meat when she starts smiling at us though, how can I ever tell her no with that beautiful smile???

She sleeps okay, not great, not horrible. About 3 hours (sometimes when we are lucky 4!) each night before waking. I feed her and put her to sleep. The next feeding (some where around 3-4ish) hand her off to DH. She usually takes longer to go back down after the second feeding and I am usually desperate for some sleep by that time in the night, so DH rocks her back to sleep. Next week I am on my own!!

Speaking of sleep....it's time for bed. Soon enough she will be waking ready for her midnight snack!! Toodles!

February 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromustobaby View Post
Beautiful story am so glad it was so perfect...feel ya on the hemorrhoids though...they gave me stool softeners and witch hazel which really helped but it lasted for weeks...

Ps where. In fl are you?
Tonya, I am so sorry, I just realized I have never addressed your question....we live in south florida a little south of WPB.

So I was just reading my last post about how she isn't great but not bad either with her sleeping habits. Folks, we took a turn for the worse this week and yikes, it isn't fun! DH went back to work and we also decided to transition her into her crib since her grunting and squeaking really keeps us up at night during the little sleep we are getting. It hasn't been pretty. And then I got strep throat on top of it all. I hope things start getting better soon, I know they will, but man alive surviving on little to no sleep is torturous. As some of the ladies in my PR say, it's why the military uses sleep deprivation for torture!

Speaking of lack of sleep, Harlow just drifted off to nap land which means I am going to try to take one myself!

Last edited by LoLo'sMama; February 4th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
February 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Oh no! Strep throat is no fun i'm sure! I had some health issues myself after the baby came home so i'm happy to be on the mend... hopefully you are starting to feel better soon! You need to post some new pics of that little princess when you have time! I hope Harlow gets into a better sleeping habit soon!

February 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
hope things get better. Since Tyler got RSV he's been a force to be reckoned with. No sleep for the weary is my motto these days

February 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I shared Harlow's birth announcement on my DDC so I thought I'd put it here too!

Here are some V-Day shots I took yesterday!

Mommy and Harlow had some fun!

February 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
don't you just love taking pics! It definitely gets harder when they start running away from you! lol

She is so beautiful Jessica!! Who do you think she looks like, you or Dax? I can't get over her hair...gorgeous girl!

February 17th, 2011, 06:44 AM
ashnichole2326's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ashnichole2326
Aww Jess, she is gorgeous!! I am so happy to be back to JM to see all these pretty new little ones

Thanks GraysMama for my beautiful new siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search