2 month checkup and question for you mommies!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Desmond weighed 17 lbs and was 25.5 inches at his 2 month checkup this week! He's above the 95th percentile for both weight and height! I can't believe how much he is growing.

We are doing awesome in general, but I was wondering if any of you have advice about bath time. Des has ALWAYS hated his bath. My MIL insists on giving him one every day when she gets out of work, and every day he screams bloody murder through the whole thing. I don't want him to hate the water and have bad associations with it later. I am a big swimmer, and I hope some day he will want to swim with me!

Today I put him in the tub on a soft cloth diaper before we put the water in and played with him for a while before slowly adding the water. He was sort of ok at first, but he still ended up screaming by the end.

Also, the doctor said that his circumcision was not complete, and there is still some extra skin there. We have to go see a urologist in a couple of weeks to decide what to do. Poor little guy! We were kind of on the fence about doing it at all, and now I wish we hadn't.

Thank you Vicki!

May 3rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
He is big!! I'm pretty sure Tyler is close to cracking the 17 lb mark now. One of the little/big guys in our PR just slowed down at 7 months at 25.5 lbs. Only had breastmilk up to 6 months! Amazing how differently they all grow.

As for bath time, I wish I could help. Tyler hated it at first but has grown to enjoy it now. I'll try and think of some things that might help?

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
May 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm, that's tough. Are you giving him baths in the sink or bath tub? He might just feel out of control or something and it just scares him so maybe try one of those sponge things and keep him covered with a warm wash cloth before you add the water in...maybe he's cold. Try giving him his toys he's comfortable with. Or maybe try putting him in the bath and add just a little bit of water then we he starts to freak out take him out and that's it for the night. Then try again the next night. Maybe he just needs to really ease in to it...I have no real experience with it so these are all just guesses. Hope something helps soon!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

May 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Connor hated the tub when he was really small. Took until probably around 2 months and now he LOVES his baths and all water in general. I am not sure if we did anything to change what he thought about water but I will tell you we did not (and still do not) bath him every day. He hated it so much I couldn't bear to bath him that much. He eventually just grew out of it.

Now that I think about it more I think he was cold. Once he got bigger he would only scream when he got out of the tub and now he doesn't cry at all. Thinking back it was likely that he was not liking being cold. How is he when he has his diaper or clothes changed?

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

May 4th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyster View Post

Now that I think about it more I think he was cold. Once he got bigger he would only scream when he got out of the tub and now he doesn't cry at all. Thinking back it was likely that he was not liking being cold. How is he when he has his diaper or clothes changed?
Yeah, that's what we thought because the first couple of weeks he also screamed when he was changed. He doesn't do that anymore and now often giggles the whole time I change his clothes. We tried using a space heater right next to the tub, and I thought it would get better with the warm weather, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

We bathe him in a little infant tub that we put on the table in his nursery. I think maybe he doesn't like the shock of being put in the water so quickly. I'm going to keep trying to get my MIL to slow down with it.

Thank you Vicki!

May 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
you could try filling your big bath tub with warm water and putting his tub in there (maybe even run hot water to steam up the bathroom before you put him in). He's probably cold sitting out there in the nursey. Bella hated it until we submerged her more in the water and then she loved it! He's probably cold

May 4th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hmm... Well I would be having a hard time if my MIL insisted on doing anything that caused my LO to scream bloody murder...but that is another story!

I think a PP mentioned using a washcloth on his tummy which is what we do. Then, we use a cup to continue to pour over her to keep her warm throughout the bath. Washing hair is last since it probably makes them the coldest. Are you sure the water is warm enough? I'm sure you've thought of that. What about you taking a bath with him? I've heard some people really like that! Maybe he will feel close to you and not hate it so much.

LoLo still screams after we take her out though, no matter how fast we are at dressing her. GL! Maybe just do every other day until he likes it more.

LolasMama3 by LoLo's Mama, on Flickr

Thank you Gray's Mama for my awesome siggy!

May 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a big boy I was going to suggest taking a bath with him. I had to with Marina at first and she loved bath time with mommy. Really when they are that young they don't need a bath everyday. It can dry out their skin. Every few days or when dirty is really all they need. Hope you MIL will listen to you!

May 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
do you have an adult size bath at home? Could you have a bath or a shower with him?

I agree about not wanting him to have negative associations with water. Hopefully as he gets older and takes an interest in toys, it will be more fun for him.
May 4th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I of course can't find the product i'm looking for but M used to hate baths bec/ he didnt like being naked and he would get cold so we had this thing... it is like a towel but it was shaped like a frog (and they also had a duck) where you lay it on top of the baby while they're in the tub. Its make of terry like a towel and i guess it helps keep them warm and feel like they arent nakey

May 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam914 View Post
I of course can't find the product i'm looking for but M used to hate baths bec/ he didnt like being naked and he would get cold so we had this thing... it is like a towel but it was shaped like a frog (and they also had a duck) where you lay it on top of the baby while they're in the tub. Its make of terry like a towel and i guess it helps keep them warm and feel like they arent nakey
The bath luve! We used that with Darcy when she was in her tub and I think it helped a lot with keeping her warm. Darcy didn't care for baths too much either when she was younger but i've been bathing with her and I think she enjoys it more. I hope you find a method that works.

May 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Julie didn't care for baths in the beginning but she loves the water now. We have the Puj tub and although I didn't really care for it at first, it became a favorite and we used it up until about 9 months. It sits her under the sink and contantly runs the faucet over her, plus the water drains so it's clean.

I think it really depends - I am a mega clean freak and Julie started daycare at 10 weeks and I gave her a bath every day afterwards and then when she'd come home from my MIL, she'd smell like dog...so she got a bath after going over there. We'd give her a little break over the weekend but like I said...clean freak here!
May 5th, 2011, 06:28 AM
We had our first scream-free bath yesterday! He does much better if I put him in dry and add the water slowly. I think he's warm enough, we definitely have payed a lot of attention to the temperature. He just doesn't like it if I do anything suddenly. Who can blame him?

Thank you Vicki!

May 5th, 2011, 08:01 AM
LuvMyToriBug's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always used a towel laid out on my bed and then used the sponge on top of that with a pan of water. So, I just bathed her off with a cloth, including her hair and rinsed with a different cloth (non soapy one). I did that until she was probably about 2-3 months old.

It seemed easier to transition her to the tub. I put her infant tub and and ran some nice luke warm water in it that would at least cover her belly so that she would stay warm. She really never fussed much.

May 6th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Victory is mine! 2 tear-free baths in a row!!

Thank you Vicki!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search