BTDT moms - what books should I read...?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
PinkCloud's Avatar It's a girl!!!
Do you girls have any suggestions on the books I should read to prepare for after my LO is born? I'd like to read up on how to get my baby on a schedule especially and...well, I'm not even sure what else! This is my first and I'm not feeling so prepared !
July 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't read any books in advance but I have a copy of "What to expect when you're expecting" and referred to it when I needed to. Honestly the first few days and weeks we were really just in "wing it" mode.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

July 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was given ALOT of books...the only one I read was the counting by weeks. I've heard good things about the one mentioned above (I don't have) and the Girlfriends Guide (do have) but I've never read either of them.
July 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read Happiest Baby on the Block - I like the "5 S's" but didn't really follow much else. Also read most of Baby Wise, which DH and I used most when developing a schedule for DS.

As a PP said, we had the What to Expect Books and Dr. Spock, and just refer to them as needed.

July 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had lots of books, but by week 2 I wanted to make a big bonfire and burn them all! I'm not sure that it's possible to get babies on a good schedule early on and those that do may be just lucky! All the books had conflicting advice and none of it worked, so they just made me feel like I was doing everything wrong. DS fell into a good schedule at around week 6. I BF him on demand, and he's a happy little guy. Slowly giving his night feedings up now. Our days are pretty predictable and work for me, so I'm a happy girl as well.

I would just take little tidbits from different books but not take any "philosophy" very seriously. In the Baby Whisperer books I liked that she said "begin as you intend to continue." I think this is good advice. If you don't want to co-sleep for your baby's whole infancy, then start by putting them in their crib. Then you don't have to transition later, etc. Also, she gives a little guide about roughly how often they should be eating and sleeping at different ages, which I liked. But otherwise I hated her books because DS would never do the routine she suggested. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't read anything. DH always knew when I had been reading a lot because I would be in tears when he came home. Post-partum hormones + confusing and conflicting advice that makes you feel guilty = sad mom.

Thank you Vicki!

July 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM
PinkCloud's Avatar It's a girl!!!
Thanks girls!! I'm afraid I'm not going to have a clue what to do when my baby is born.
July 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You will surprise yourself and figure it out!! Promise. I felt the same way too. However, I would highly recommend the Happiest Baby on the Block...some of those techniques saved our lives!! And we also used Baby Wise to help us establish a routine and schedule - which IMO is HUGELY important!!! Also, when we were in the hospital they actually had a video of the book Happiest Baby on the Block which was much more helpful to actually see the techniques. Just a thought!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

July 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
definitely use the books as a guide only and if something isnt working for you guys, try something different. There is no book ever written about you baby. The early days can be stressful enough without books making you feel like youre doing something wrong! honestly though, youll be fine, you will figure out what works best for you and you bubs.
July 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
NortheastWifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Gwen's post. And Liz's about the bonfire. Lol! Love that. I feel like I read too much, though, and so many books have conflicting information that it made me crazy. Once the baby is here your instincts really take over and you just do what you feel is right. I think once you get to know your baby and if you have questions after that, you'll look for specific info - sleeping, scheduling, etc. But in the meantime, I agree about Happies Baby on the Block and I haven't read Baby Wise, but have heard others say good things about it. But overall my best advice would be to not read too much. You'll do fine.

Hollie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search