How do you wean a toddler from BFing? (xposted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mari is almost 2 years old and would still nurse ALL the time if I let her. I try to really limit her to the evenings before bedtimes, but on days I'm home all day with her she asks for it as soon as she wakes up and all day long.

Most of the time I just give in and nurse her because she can be quite persistant and throw a huge tantrum if I don't, but I'd really like to just stick with bedtime feedings or completely wean her.

Any advice?

Thanks!

August 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Tina!

no great advice as the only reason bellas feeds are shortening is because im pregnant but heres a great blog post abuot BF a toddler which I found very reassuring and theres some suggestions in there.
August 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM
NortheastWifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would start offering her alternatives during the day. Maybe buy her a special cup to have a drink in - Amelia loves her Dora cup even though she's never seen Dora! - and tell her she can have milk (or whatever) in her Dora cup instead and really go for it with excitement so maybe she'll get excited, too. Also, I think you will probably have to be really firm with her and just tell her no and explain that nursing is only for bedtime (or whenever you want to feed her). But I would always give her an alternative, too. Say you can hug or play something with her, etc. "Let's do ______ instead" kind of thing. And probably some extra cuddling during this time would help her as well, so she still has that closeness with you. I hope this helps, Tina!!

Hollie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search