Some Updates to the TTC #1 Grads Board...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2012, 01:23 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Ladies,
Since this board is getting active again, I thought it might be time to update a few things. Here is what I am thinking:

Remove These Stickies:
Active PG Tickers (last updated Dec 2010)
Preggo Ladies, Informative Links (last updated Aug 2009)

Add This Subforum:
TTC #1 Grads Hideaway (with restrictions, like the regular TTC #1 Hideaway, but for Grads only)

I don't want to do anything without running it by everyone first, though. I know the activity here waxes and wanes, and is limited mostly to Grads Journals, but I still didn't want to make an executive decision without giving others time to weigh in.

Along those lines, if you have any other suggestions for improvement, like other stickies to add, new subforums, etc., I am open to hearing them as well.

I know many of us are also in DDCs, but in the past couple years, we've developed a pretty close knit group of TTC1'ers, and Grads is a great way for all of us to keep in touch, as well as keep in touch with our friends in TTC #1 (and them with us, if they choose). This board has been more active lately, and if I need to keep it up so that we remain a close-knit group, I will!

Thoughts, comments, questions, concerns all appreciated!

xx

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | Pregnancy Journals: Nugget (or here) and Baxter (or here)
June 15th, 2012, 05:27 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think taking off those stickies is a great idea but I'm not to sure about the hideaway, like you said there's not a huge amount of action here so I'm just more concerned that no one will use, but I guess you never untill you try!

June 16th, 2012, 04:10 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would add the hideaway. While most of the "older" grads have moved away from JM, there are lots of "new" people here and on the main board that will hopefully be here and it may be very useful for them. And of course it's there for any of the grads who want to be more active on JM but don't have a place to post privately.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
June 16th, 2012, 06:11 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover

June 16th, 2012, 06:20 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with removing the stickies and even though I'm an oldie here, I think the Hideaway is beneficial as I have some friends IRL that are on JM and I'd like a private place to post should I need it

June 16th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I agree with all of your suggestions, Karin. I love that the Grads board has entered a more active phase. It warms my heart that so many long-time TTC #1 girls are getting their BFPs and having successful pregnancies.
Mrs.Paradise and jojo2bee like this.

June 16th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think removing the old forums is great, especially seeing how long it's been since they've been updated. One problem with the hideaway is the criteria to get in. Unless the rules have changed, when I first joined ttc#1 journal posts didn't count, you had to be active on the main board to get in. And the posts had to be fairly current, so even the grads who graduated a long time ago wouldn't qualify for hideaway requirements because their posts are years old. So would journal posts count for post count to get in?
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
The "rules" don't particularly matter as Karin can set it up to be whatever. She can just say active members of grads with no post count or can choose to count journal posts when approving people.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
June 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
PinkCloud's Avatar It's a girl!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyms View Post
I think removing the old forums is great, especially seeing how long it's been since they've been updated. One problem with the hideaway is the criteria to get in. Unless the rules have changed, when I first joined ttc#1 journal posts didn't count, you had to be active on the main board to get in. And the posts had to be fairly current, so even the grads who graduated a long time ago wouldn't qualify for hideaway requirements because their posts are years old. So would journal posts count for post count to get in?

Even if journal posts do end up counting in order to qualify grads for the hideaway, many journals were deleted accidentally last fall. I know I journaled my entire pregnancy & then the whole thing was wiped away, as JM had an error. Not having access to a hideaway is ok for me, as I am not very active anymore (although I lurk and read journals every day ) but I just wanted to throw that out there. Glad the board is picking up again!
June 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I do think that one of the important things should be that members are currently and continue to be active while they get or maintain access.

June 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRRT View Post
Even if journal posts do end up counting in order to qualify grads for the hideaway, many journals were deleted accidentally last fall. I know I journaled my entire pregnancy & then the whole thing was wiped away, as JM had an error. Not having access to a hideaway is ok for me, as I am not very active anymore (although I lurk and read journals every day ) but I just wanted to throw that out there. Glad the board is picking up again!
Yep, there is that! I mainly posted comments in the journals that were deleted. In truth, that's when a large chunk of the older grads left. Once their or their friends journals were deleted there wasn't much point in posting.

June 16th, 2012, 02:02 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions, ladies! i will for sure make certain that our hideaway can accomodate the needs/requirements of the board, so dont worry about that. i will come up with something early next week...

Thanks again for your input!
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | Pregnancy Journals: Nugget (or here) and Baxter (or here)
June 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think the hideaway requirements matter and there should be always be a minimum post count for any private forum. Having been on JM as long as I have I know how many trolls make their way to these boards and unfortunately some have gone on for years before it was realized they were a fraud.

If there was length of time active requirement no min post count requirements I wouldn't post in a hideaway because anyone could get access and it's essentially a public board. Maybe not where friends and family would find the posts, but sometimes the intent is also for those posts to be private from newer members as well.

I'm just saying we need to come up with some parameters (and it's not just usually the host that decides, it usually goes out to the members of the board for input), take into account that right now only the journals are active, and also what was already mentioned that many of the journals were deleted by JM and not able to be brought back.
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
In my opinion, the deletion of old journals wouldn't apply as it applies to no one who still posts in grads. The last one that it applied to was Daneeleigh who doesn't post much in grads any longer. None of the far back grads post more than about once a month which would typically disqualify them from a hideaway. Previous members who haven't been active in months or years wouldn't normally be considered for a hideaway in any other forum so I don't know why this one would be any different. As far as requirements, I for one would trust the hosts to know who is active and current so it wouldn't be an issue. I didn't say "anyone could get in" and I don't think anyone would make it that way or say that. I totally understand why the previous chunk of grads left but unless they came back and met normal active requirements, like most hideaways have requirements of being active (like 5 posts a week for the last 30 days) to get in and if the activity isn't met any longer, they are removed if it is a group where each member is approved and there is no password, or the password is updated frequently and not given to those who don't qualify any longer. As I said, if there was a post count requirement, it would be up to the host to decide if the journal posts counted or not so it would be easy to implement, just like if there was no posting requirement and the host could see that the person is an active poster either in journals or the regular part or ttc1 grads ttc another.

June 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallee View Post
As I said, if there was a post count requirement, it would be up to the host to decide if the journal posts counted or not so it would be easy to implement, just like if there was no posting requirement and the host could see that the person is an active poster either in journals or the regular part or ttc1 grads ttc another.
These kind of decisions have never just been up to the host to decide, they always go out to the boards for input and voting.

Karin, maybe you could set up a poll with your ideas for requirements and we can all come up with some parameters for a hideaway?
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that is why she asked.. to get ideas and find out what people wanted. Maybe throw it out there what exactly you want as the requirements and others who have something specific in mind can do so as well as Karin said " i will for sure make certain that our hideaway can accomodate the needs/requirements of the board" Didn't know it was such a critical issue in a group of 10-15 active preggos who all started out in a different board together and know each other. I know that I have expressed a lot of excitement at getting grads active again both here and for chat and I know Karin has as well. She wouldn't not take the needs/wants of the group into consideration when setting it up and I guess if we need a poll to decide that, so be it. We are normally a pretty chit chatty bunch that can just come up with something together.

June 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I've given my suggestions I think there should be min post requirements and also a timeframe requirement. There used to be a hideaway on this board but it was rarely used by the grads because the requirements were too strict and girls weren't getting into the hideaway until well into their 2nd trimester so any private new pregnancy questions they had couldn't be asked in a private setting. That's why most of them moved to a secret group on FB.

We don't have to do a poll, it was just another suggestion.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Whoa. Ok. Crystal, in terms of the long term members of TTC#1 you haven't been around that long. Most of us, including Karin, have been here for many years, have all become close friends and know all too well how the private forums come to be set up, etc. There is a way to accommodate the older grads who don't post much here and it will be up to the MEMBERS of the board to decide what the criteria is. Also, you said that you don't think the deletion of the journals count because they don't post here anymore. That is EXACTLY why myself an another grad said they need to be included, because their stuff was deleted. They don't want to come back and have to start all over. That's not fair. It was not their fault, it was done by the moderators and could not be undone. So yes, they don't post here anymore/much at all because their reason for being here is gone.

Considering the vast number of older grads who, I know for a fact lurk here often, if not daily, that may return to the board if given a good reason to, the requirements of old are entirely too strict to treat them as "new" members. Tammy has an excellent point there!

Also, I don't know if this applies to these boards, but I know that the DDC's and PR's are now private boards in the social groups. Therefore no passwords or anything like that. It is left to the group to decide requirements as well as the discretion of the hosts to decide who can have access and who can remain as well. That may be an option as well, so that if a very well known older grad wishes to return to the board, they can do so without having to start from the very bottom.

June 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
Whoa. Ok. Crystal, in terms of the long term members of TTC#1 you haven't been around that long. Most of us, including Karin, have been here for many years, have all become close friends and know all too well how the private forums come to be set up, etc. There is a way to accommodate the older grads who don't post much here and it will be up to the MEMBERS of the board to decide what the criteria is. Also, you said that you don't think the deletion of the journals count because they don't post here anymore. That is EXACTLY why myself an another grad said they need to be included, because their stuff was deleted. They don't want to come back and have to start all over. That's not fair. It was not their fault, it was done by the moderators and could not be undone. So yes, they don't post here anymore/much at all because their reason for being here is gone.

Considering the vast number of older grads who, I know for a fact lurk here often, if not daily, that may return to the board if given a good reason to, the requirements of old are entirely too strict to treat them as "new" members. Tammy has an excellent point there!

Also, I don't know if this applies to these boards, but I know that the DDC's and PR's are now private boards in the social groups. Therefore no passwords or anything like that. It is left to the group to decide requirements as well as the discretion of the hosts to decide who can have access and who can remain as well. That may be an option as well, so that if a very well known older grad wishes to return to the board, they can do so without having to start from the very bottom.
Wow that was quite uncalled for. In terms of the the "long term members" I'm sorry that over the last year plus some doesn't count as long enough for you for me to have an opinion. You also entirely missed my point. In my own ddc or ttc#1 if I didn't meet the activity requirements, I wouldn't expect whatsoever to be included in the hideaway. Same as if I left for whatever reason and then came back and said, oh hey, since you know me, let me in the hideaway K? Every hideaway I have seen says that you have to be active in the particular group for the past 30 days and active is defined in various manners, from 3 posts a week to 5 or whatever. IF people wanted to return to the board because of increased activity, great. That is awesome. We want grads to pick up. That means they would meet the requirement eventually to get in. Regardless of why most of the grads left, they left. There are ones that still post frequently in others journals and such who would probably meet any requirements thrown out there. I SPECIFICALLY said that i didn't even think a post count was necessary because of the type and nature of this forum. This is something that may very well exclude ALL of the grads who left who had the journals and stuff removed. I was concerned of the ACTIVITY not the post count which is the only thing the journals would apply to. I said that it should be current members as in people currently posting that are let in. If you don't keep a journal in here or start a new one at the moment, don't post in the general section, and don't post updates about yourself or post in ttc again (which I don't look in so I have no knowledge of who posts over there) I don't know why anyone would expect to be in a hideaway of a group they don't participate in until they start participating in it again. I don't know if you are implying that I haven't been around in GRADS long enough but if so, I spose neither has Karin or Tammy as we are all in the newly pregnant group. I never said or meant that those that previous grads should be excluded, but why would they be INCLUDED if they don't post here anymore? They would need to be back posting again to be included in a private section. Your right that it will be up to the MEMBERS of the board, as in people who actually come to the board and post to decide how it is set up. I simply was saying that Karin has been around long enough and is PERFECTLY competent enough to make sure everyone's needs are met. Both groups and passworded sections are available and either one could be set up to accommodate whatever requirements get set up. I didn't see why a federal case needed to be made of setting up a hideaway when there wasn't one previously for the few ladies who have recently started caring to try to get the board active, including restarting chat, going to chat, and being active here. I really have nothing else to say on the matter besides this is all sort of ridiculous. It was supposed to be something happy/fun to get grads going.

June 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I guess this is why I brought up if journal posts count. I believe the hideaway for this forum before was active 60 days and 250 posts which all the girls found to be way too restrictive and journal posts didn't count. It's a timing issue for grads because you want access as soon as possible so you can't ask all your early pregnancy questions. It may even be something to consider if someone was active on the ttc#1 board that counts as post count and being active because the grads section is a subforum of that board anyway.

I wasn't trying to make a federal case of anything I just voiced my opinion and felt attacked by some responses. Most members take hideaway access very seriously due to the nature of what can and does get posted in them. Most decisions like this get done via polls, like for chats the days and times go out to the group, the parameters for private forums have always had a poll for the group to vote on, it's how JM has worked since it's inception and works well because people can vote and choose if they want to comment on their choices.
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search