For FTMs with pets...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
...several of you have seen my comments in Adrienne's journal regarding how to help your pet adjust to a new baby in the house. As many of you know, I'm currently in school studying Animal Behavior (generally speaking). I have provided a few suggestions as to how to get your pet accustomed to the impending arrival of your baby, and since there are at least 3 of you (4 if you include myself and my crazy Peanut), that have expressed interest in the subject, I am working to dig out some additional information.

Several terms ago, I had a class in which I had to write a paper about a very similar topic. I think it was a hypothetical situation in which a young couple was expecting their first child, and they also had a brand new, young-ish puppy. Granted, none of us are in the situation of just getting a new puppy or kitty (to my knowledge), rather are dealing with pets we have had for some time. So, while the situation might not be 100% the same, the principles are no different.

I am going to try and dig out my paper, and see if I can attach it here, though not sure I know if I can attach a document or not. I know that I got a 100% on my paper, and my professor, at the time, used it as an example to the rest of the school as exemplary work. (Keep in mind when you read it that our "papers" are meant to be written very informally, rather than in perfect linguistic form. They are more "free flow"...so you will likely find it to read more "conversational" rather than "textbook".)

Anyhow, if anyone has any specific examples, and needs any specific help, I am happy to offer my guidance and assistance. After all, this is what I'm going to school to do.

Stay tuned...

x

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
June 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I need doggie help! I have two giant german shepherds that have quite the personality and I am terrified, mostly because people keep telling me how my dogs are going to eat my baby and bite it and I am just horrified of peoples opinions of pets and babies. I can't believe people think you can't have pets/babies together. I am not going to leave a baby on a floor with a german shepherd lol but I just don't see it as such a huge issue. I am worried about jealousy and that kind of thing enormously. I had some plans of making sure to bring a blanket to the hospital and sending it home with dh to let the dogs smell ahead of time. I also really want to have the nursery set up early so that the dogs can sniff around in there and be comfy with it. I use baby lotion as my lotion due to sensitive skin so I probably smell like a baby

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
June 21st, 2012, 06:53 PM
I will write more tomorrow, Crystal, but thx for giving me the specifics. German Shepherds are (generally speaking) nothing to worry about, but I'll get some more tips up tomorrow!
x

June 21st, 2012, 06:55 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely interested in this topic! We're mostly worried about our schnauzer, he's friendly, we're not worried about biting or anything, but he's VERY excitable around kids and jumps on them! And he's jealous, so if sees you giving attention to one of the other animals, he's gotta get in the middle. Because we'll be dealing with twins and I'll be home alone a lot, for the first while when the babies are out the dogs will probably be in their kennels and will come out with them during sleepy time. Not sure how to get him to be more calm around the babies!

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dogs adjusted very well to newborns...cause they dont move or yank the dogs around very much...we let the dogs meet the baby outside the house to introduce him to them, and spent a lot of time playing with them then...

now toddlers are a different story, my boy tries to sit on my 20 pound dog all the time and hug him...he loves the dog a bit too much, and now that he weighs 30 pounds (10 pounds more than the dog) and is very fast at getting around, the dog is not so fond of him at all...
June 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Crystal, I have a small 13 lb. dog that is jealous and acts like a fool half the time (he's half Chihuahua, half Basenji), so don't let people scare you about big dogs and babies. Little dogs can be even more dangerous than big ones because they tend to scare more easily than the big ones.

Joseph (baby) and Spencer (dog) were jealous of each other for the longest time. If I gave attention to the dog, the baby cried. If I gave attention to the baby, the dog would literally try to squeeze himself between us. Let me tell you, that was interesting when I was nursing. LOL But they've gotten over it and while they still occasionally get jealous, they love each other to death now!

Btw, one of the BEST pieces of advice for anyone with a dog or cat is this. When your pet comes around you, especially if he/she likes to sit on your lap or belly, start patting your belly and telling them to be careful of the baby. Spencer learned that he couldn't jump up on me anymore and as I got more and more pregnant he became more and more cautious of my belly. Once the baby was here and he'd start trying to jump around to play or whatever, we'd pat the baby and tell him to be careful of the baby. He instantly recognized that phrase and knew not to jump on him and to be careful when playing/walking/running around the baby.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
June 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Crystal, my grandmother had a full grown, HUGE Doberman. When I was a baby, I would be outside with him, with my head on his belly like a pillow and sucking down a bottle. People would walk by and stare because they see a little baby with a big scary dog. Max (the Doberman) would show his teeth to them and scare the daylights out of them. No one would mess with his babies

My parents and grandparents were 100% ok leaving us alone with him (though they would keep watch from the window). This dog would do anything for us and would never hurt us, no matter how many times we climbed on him and hurt his marbles. My mom told me we even had a game where I would crawl up to him while he was laying down, and he would push me with his back legs and I would slide across the floor on my diaper, then crawl back over for more (wish they had that on video! ) ONE time he accidentally scratched my face. He realized what h did and cried much louder than I did, I was the one that had to calm the dog down to let him know I was ok

So no matter what stereotypes people associate with your dog, tell them to go to hell. YOU know how they are now and YOU will be the one seeing how they act around baby. I hate people who say certain breeds are this or that, they are so simple minded and don't know anything about the dog. All they know are the people who raise the dog to be aggressive BECAUSE it's big or strong or whatever. My shepherd mixes are big sweethearts. I have a feeling they are going to love Jordan more than they love me

June 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniM0820 View Post
Crystal, my grandmother had a full grown, HUGE Doberman. When I was a baby, I would be outside with him, with my head on his belly like a pillow and sucking down a bottle. People would walk by and stare because they see a little baby with a big scary dog. Max (the Doberman) would show his teeth to them and scare the daylights out of them. No one would mess with his babies

My parents and grandparents were 100% ok leaving us alone with him (though they would keep watch from the window). This dog would do anything for us and would never hurt us, no matter how many times we climbed on him and hurt his marbles. My mom told me we even had a game where I would crawl up to him while he was laying down, and he would push me with his back legs and I would slide across the floor on my diaper, then crawl back over for more (wish they had that on video! ) ONE time he accidentally scratched my face. He realized what h did and cried much louder than I did, I was the one that had to calm the dog down to let him know I was ok

So no matter what stereotypes people associate with your dog, tell them to go to hell. YOU know how they are now and YOU will be the one seeing how they act around baby. I hate people who say certain breeds are this or that, they are so simple minded and don't know anything about the dog. All they know are the people who raise the dog to be aggressive BECAUSE it's big or strong or whatever. My shepherd mixes are big sweethearts. I have a feeling they are going to love Jordan more than they love me
Well said. And just so you know, that comment about the doby crying louder then you, brought on the water works. I LOVE DOGS.

June 24th, 2012, 03:39 AM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the help Karen! That's so sweet of you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search