Free Breast Pump with Insurance!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DaniM0820
  • 1 Post By Crystallee
  • 2 Post By fromustobaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 10:30 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Someone posted this in my due date club and I thought I would pass along:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ease-read.html

Apparently the Ameda Purely Yours pump has better reviews than the Medela In Style (the one I was going to get) AND you may be able to get it for free/low cost! I just entered my info and ordered one. You do NOT have to list credit card information (I didn't!), and you have the option to cancel if your insurance does not cover it or only covers a portion.

If anyone is still looking for a breast pump, I just wanted to share! I had no idea you could go through insurance to get a free or low-cost pump! I'll check back once I find out if my insurance will cover any of the cost

July 31st, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Very interesting. I already bought the Ameda Purely Yours pump. I didn't even think about insurance possibly paying for it. I should look into it. I'm with Blue Cross Blue Shield of California.

July 31st, 2012, 11:17 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
That is very interesting! I'm looking into this as well! I've read great things about this pump!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
July 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I checked into it a couple of months ago and my insurance (Harvard Pilgrim) doesn't cover them unless you get a note from your doctor saying there is a medical issue and the baby is unable to breastfeed.

July 31st, 2012, 09:20 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Two things...

The Ameda Purely Yours pump is AMAZING! The first time I used it was our first night home. Joseph wasn't eating so I was told to pump to see if I could get enough colostrum to bottle feed him. Yeah, I was able to pump half an ounce from each side! It's EXTREMELY efficient!

As far as insurance goes...I hate to burst bubbles, but the majority of insurance companies will NOT cover the cost of a pump, or even a rental, unless there is a problem from an extremely limited list, as to why baby can not nurse from mom. And it generally has to be a long term issue where baby will be hospitalized for more than six months or something to that extent.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
August 1st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthMommy View Post
As far as insurance goes...I hate to burst bubbles, but the majority of insurance companies will NOT cover the cost of a pump, or even a rental, unless there is a problem from an extremely limited list, as to why baby can not nurse from mom. And it generally has to be a long term issue where baby will be hospitalized for more than six months or something to that extent.

That is unfortunate! What about for working mamas? I have to go back to work; we can't afford me staying home after my maternity leave is up. I will have a good 3 months home with Jordan, but after that I will be working full time and the only way to give him breast milk after that is if I pump. I REALLY do not want to use formula at all if I can avoid it, and with all the benefits of breast milk (and the lower cost in the long run!) you'd think insurance companies would be more lenient with paying some or all of the cost of a pump.

Well, it won't hurt to try! I put my insurance info into the website and will hopefully hear something back soon.
Thanks for letting me know how you like the pump! I'm so glad I didn't just go ahead and get the Medela! Even if I have to pay all out of pocket, I'd rather get a pump that will work and last (and won't grow mold).

August 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I actually wouldn't be surprised if this worked. Someone was discussing in a different thread how insurance companies will ALWAYS say they won't cover a breast pump if you call and ask but if you go to the medical supply store to order one, it gets approved. We shall see I spose! Most docs also have NO issue at all writing a prescription for one after baby gets here which insurance will usually cover. I submitted mine to as it can't hurt anything to see what they say!

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
August 1st, 2012, 03:26 PM
One girl in my DDC got it 100% covered, another girl just found out her insurance will pay 80% and it will cost $65 out of pocket. Either of those scenarios would be great with me!

August 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM
No it definitely can't hurt to try, that's for sure, I just didn't want a bunch of girls getting their hopes up for something that has a good chance of not happening. If it does work for you, great!

August 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my Medela and wouldn't change it for anything. I've had no issues so far and I love that they'res so many interchangeable parts to really fit me personally. Other pumps don't have that option so it's just food for thought. I've been pumping at work for three months now and it makes doing everything and storing milk a breeze. I just didn't want anyone who has a Medela to think they got a bad pump.
August 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this is actually true...

Michelle...it is actually mandated under Obamacare starting on August 1 that breastpumps be covered under insurance...among other things...
Breast pumps for free, under new health law provisions | KPLU News for Seattle and the Northwest
August 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately the new act requires they cover a portion of rental pumps monthly cost, not to buy one. This is just a normal medical shop that will bill your insurance for you before you have to pay anything out of pocket and allow you to cancel it if you don't like what percentage they cover.

August 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I just got a call saying they shipped mine. Doesn't that mean it's covered 100% since they didn't tell me I have to pay something first?

If not they can pry it from my dead cold hands jk let's see how this plays out...
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

August 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I think thats what it means! woooohoooo. Mine got denied the first go round because they put it in as my husband instead of me and evidently they don't cover breast pumps for boys hheehehehe. I laughed so hard. They resubmitted it and it should be fine now.
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

August 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Well that's something good out of Obamacare, I didn't know that had changed. That's cool because before there wren't many companies that would cover it.

Dani and Crystal, y'alls both cracked me up with y'alls comments!

August 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I swear, boys should have to do it!!!

One daay...one day... I want to stick this thing on Matt and see what happens, he would freak out!!
DeepSouthMommy and DaniM0820 like this.
August 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Tonya, I did try that with Jason, he was NOT amused.

August 7th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Yes, I am DEFINITELY doing that to Randy!

August 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Woohooo now that they know it isn't for Joe, teehee, they said mine is in the process of shipping. They did say that my insurance doesn't like Evenflo and doesn't allow me to choose that one lol so they changed it to a hospital grade hygeia that isn't even on their site that I can see but it has great reviews on amazon so sounds good to me! It is like 375 on amazon so a spendy one. I really don't care if it is free. I'll update again once it actually ships but she said it will either ship out today or tomorrow, likely tomorrow with no balance due.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search