Info for my first time preggo ladies...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So last week monday I started having pain in my lower left side...started out throbbing like and progressed over 2 hours to sharp pain. So I decide to lay down and DH insists that I call the nurses hotline to see if I need to go to the doctor. Well the nurse I spoke with says that I need to get to the Dr. within 6 hours tops to get the pain checked out. So after spending an hour at the vet (long story I will share later) with our dog we head to the ER. By this point it is 10:15pm and I have been in pain for almost 5 hours...I check in and I wasn't even seen by the Triage nurse until after 11pm and all she tells me is that there is a long wait and that they will get to me when they can...I am still in pain and starting to freak out as I am having lower abdominal pain and it is not getting any better. Finally at 12:15am they call me back and take me into a room and ask me to change into a gown. With no pillows, or blankets, just a cot in a brightly lit room that has D&C equipment in it (***) So I finally get myself somewhat comfortable and doze off...at 1:30 the Dr finally comes in and asks me "So...whats wrong with you?" Half asleep I think to myself....uhhh...I have been in pain and can't you READ my chart? So I explain the pain and show him where it is and he asks me..."Did you give a urine sample yet?" I reply no as he is the first one to see me since we got led into the room over an hour ago. He then walks out of the room and a nurse comes back about 30 minutes later to walk me down to the other side of the hospital wing to collect a urine sample.

At 2:45 another nurse comes in and says she is going to start an IV and draw blood as she thinks the Dr. will order bloodwork since my urine came back normal. She then starts me on liquids and finally after almost 3 hours, gets me a pillow and some blankets since I am FREEZING! 3:30 rolls around and the doc comes back saying he is running blood since my urine was normal. He then asks me if I have had an ultrasound yet this pregnancy and I tell him I had one at 10 weeks...he then asks "Well what did you see..." I reply A BABY!!! He says well...did you hear a heartbeat and was the baby measuring normal and in your uterus. I tell him there was a heartbeat at the U/S and we also got one at the midwife appointment 2 weeks earlier on a doppler with no problems...without saying anything he walks out.

Finally at 4:30 he returns and says exactly this "Well your bloodwork is normal and I don't know why you are in pain and I can't give you anything for it so there is no point in me keeping you here I am discharging you, follow up with your midwife within the next week or so..." I ask him if he has any ideas as to what the pain could be caused by and he says well there could be something wrong with the Baby or you may have a cyst, or there could be a blockage in your tube or it could be round ligament pain...but I am not sure what it is there is no point in keeping you hear. He leaves and the nurse comes back 30 secs later to have me sign the discharge papers. Needless to say DH and I were EXHAUSTED and very upset and confused and both of us had to work that day with me needing to be at work by 8am.

Well I call the nurse at my midwifes office to see if I can get in that day since I am still in pain and extremely worried at what could be wrong, not so much with me but with the baby. She says all the midwives are booked that day, but that one of the OB's has an appointment that afternoon and to come in for him to examine me. We explain to him what happend and he was APPAULED!! The Dr. I saw in the ER was NOT an OB and should have paged the OB on call upstairs in the womens hosptial where I was. He was even more mad that the Dr. didn't even attempt to find the baby's heartbeat or order an ultrasound if he was worried about there being problems with the baby. He grabs his doppler and within 5secs has the heartbeat- 160bpm perfect for 14wks. AT that point I begin to BAWL...

So the OB after listening to my description of the pain and doing a pelvic exam tells me that I am constipated and have gas that is in pockets where the colon creases...that is what is causing the pain and it can get very painful at times. He told me to start taking stool softeners and tylenol for the pain. So all that drama for GAS PAIN!!! But I was so happy that the baby was ok. Needless to say we will be reporting the ER Dr. to the hospital board for not following protocol and also report the nurses on staff that evening for not even checking in on us the entire time we were in the ER...all 6 hours. My advice...if you go to the ER...DEMAND answers...I was so exhausted and in pain to think clearly but I should have asked for more tests and demanded that he try to find the heartbeat rather than just sitting there...I was also told by DH's aunt who is a nurse that you have the right to ask for pain relief even if you are pregnant, they cannot deny it to you if you clearly state that you are in pain. Oh and...beware of constipation leading to gas pockets...how embarrassing...oy!

Thanks Kara!!
May 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM
DevineEssence's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow I know you had to be scared. I am so glad you shared that for future reference thank goodness you and tha baby are doing fine and it was nothing too serious. I too would report an experience like that. They were so inconsiderate and nonchalant when you and the baby could have been in serious trouble. I hope you have been feeling much better and thanks again

May 16th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
Ok first of all, WOW. You should defintely report him and the nurses to the hospital board, that is beyond infuriating.

I can imagne how angry you are at the treatment you got, i got bad treatment at the u/s i had when i was having brown bleeding (I was in your DDC and posted about the u/s tech that mentioned i had not shaved my legs whilst doing a transvaginal). I'm still angry at that comment.

I'm so glad that the baby is OK and you got to see a doctor who knew what he was talking about and you found out what was causing you pain. Hopefully the gas will pass and the constipation will decrease aswell.
May 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mmmm I'll agree with Heidi, the pain that gas and constipation gives you is really intense. I've had it a bit over the last few days, the only reason why I didn't freak out is because I'd had that pain for years before being diagnosed as a coeliac so I knew what it felt like. It kind of feels like really really intense period pain, very sharp and can actually leave you feeling very dizzy and flushed (sometimes it even had me vomiting), with me it also eventually radiates downwards and towards my tailbone.

I'm sorry that the docs were so crap though, LOL even with my umpteen dozen hospital visits with my bowel pain over the years they always did blood work and ultrasounds, the last time they even did a CAT scan ... and normally they are way more careful about pregnancies. Definately put the complaint in!

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
May 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM
butterflyjmb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your ER experience!!! I am relieved to hear that your baby is just fine!!!!
</div>
May 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I"m glad you're reporting it! I'm appalled to know that they would treat anyone the way they did you, and especially because you're pregnant! Glad the baby is ok.
May 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heidi you feeling better hun? Did you find something that worked for you?

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
much better...the stool softeners worked wonders...they have been helping! thanks for checking Vickie!!

Thanks Kara!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search