Ack sick again!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2007, 09:37 PM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well this is my 3rd asthma attack in 16 weeks, kind of getting to me a little. I'm used to one attack a year, and granted its worse than the 3 I've gone through but at least its over and done with and not reoccuring every 4 weeks or so.

Just went to the docs to get a new script for some meds and had a chat to them about my management plan. He said that I'm doing everything right and that there is nothing else they can really do for me short of steriods and he said if I get to that stage then I should be in hospital for the babies sake ... which I knew anyway. Sometimes I think its a great thing that I know so much about asthma management because I then suggested to them that give me a preventative script. The doc was like, but you take one, and I had to explain to him that I don't, that I was told to only take seretide when I had an attack seeing as I only had one a year and that I think that I should have a lower dose one to take as a preventative now seeing as my attacks are different. Soooo I now have a preventative to take to try and hold off these asthma attacks.

I also asked him about cough medicines just in case there is one I could take, he said there isn't anything that is considered safe but I should try camomile tea and melaluca honey ... thought I'd share that one as I'd never heard it before.

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
July 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Tam_383
Quote:
Well this is my 3rd asthma attack in 16 weeks, kind of getting to me a little. I'm used to one attack a year, and granted its worse than the 3 I've gone through but at least its over and done with and not reoccuring every 4 weeks or so.

Just went to the docs to get a new script for some meds and had a chat to them about my management plan. He said that I'm doing everything right and that there is nothing else they can really do for me short of steriods and he said if I get to that stage then I should be in hospital for the babies sake ... which I knew anyway. Sometimes I think its a great thing that I know so much about asthma management because I then suggested to them that give me a preventative script. The doc was like, but you take one, and I had to explain to him that I don't, that I was told to only take seretide when I had an attack seeing as I only had one a year and that I think that I should have a lower dose one to take as a preventative now seeing as my attacks are different. Soooo I now have a preventative to take to try and hold off these asthma attacks.

I also asked him about cough medicines just in case there is one I could take, he said there isn't anything that is considered safe but I should try camomile tea and melaluca honey ... thought I'd share that one as I'd never heard it before.[/b]
what??? your doctor told you to take Seretide only when you have an attack... ok well my dr told me that preventative medication does not work instantly.... it takes up to 2 weeks for the medication to be at full effect...... when I was nannying back in oz the little girl had asthma and they didnt want to give her a preventative so they would leave it until she had an attack.. it wasn't until she ended up in hospital that they were told that only taking it when she had an attack was not going to do anything....

well at least you have a preventative to take now!! what did they give you?

July 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM
star24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awe! poor vicki! i hope you dont end up in hospital, or that your Asthma doesn't have too much of an effect on the pregnancy. I feel bad because i have a common cold and i have nothing to take for it!! because i think all of the medicine is not recommended during pregnancy!. arg!

<span style="font-family:Lucida Sans Unicode">Sienna born to Cole and Janna- Jan 2 08'</span>

July 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
awww...Vicki sorry to hear about your asthma...I have severe asthma and suprisingly I have not had 1 attack since becoming pregnant!! I am surprised that they were telling you to take Seretide when you have an attack...they should be having you take a quick relieving inhaler (Albuterol etc) as a preventative doesn't do ANYTHING while you are having an attack. Chamomile helps alot, and I also find that drinking fresh squeezed lemon juice with honey and hot water works well too...the citrus can help a lot, and I have sworn by this since I was about 7 years old. I hope all goes well and that the attacks don't keep coming back!! If it helps at all...my m/w said that once you are out of the first trimester you can begin to take Sudafed and Benadryl, which I find help with my asthma as allergies and congestion make it worse, you may want to try something like that as well to help prevent the attacks from coming back if you find you are congested (most pregnant women are) or have hayfever symptoms. Hang in there!!

Thanks Kara!!
July 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only took seretide when I had an attack as I only had one attack a year. My attacks aren't the typical muscle based problems either, they're the lung tissue swelling up so preventatives normally don't really do that much for me. Hitting it hard when an attack came on did the trick, ie instead of 2 puffs daily that most people would take with their preventatives I take 2 puffs (of 500mg) 4 times daily to help kick my system back in. Because it is taken in such high dosage its effects are noticeable within 24 hours. The combination of seretide (steriod, antihistamine and salbutamel) + regular ventolin always works well so I'm not really questioning what I was doing before.

Unfortunately though my asthma has changed since pg which means a new conventional plan of attack. I'm still sticking with my original plan when an attack takes hold but inbetween I'm going to take a low dose (250mg) of serotide 2 times a day and see what happens. I don't particularly want to use my treatment dosage long term as I think that will be too high.

ETA - Heidi you are soooooooo lucky!!!!! I hoped mine would get better. Apparently being pregnant can either make it better or worse, sounds like you got the good end of the stick.

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
August 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
umm...yes...but on the flip side I got HORRENDOUS m/s and Gestational Diabetes...hahahaha ah well...you win some and you lose some...how are you feeling now Vicki?? I hope it has gotten better!

Thanks Kara!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search