Log In Sign Up

Back from 34 weeks appt...


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
September 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,518
So I just got back from my doc appt and my u/sd. Unfortunately, the u/s clinic was soooo busy I had to see them after my doc appt, so I only had 'what if' discussion with my doctor.

The doctor felt the baby again, and was fairly certain she's breech with both feet tucked under her bum and in my cervix. (No kidding, as if I didn't know that!!! Hard NOT to notice that!!) She said we had 2 options, book the c-section for '39 weeks' or try to turn the baby (external cephalic version, ECV). They'd try to move the baby in about 2 weeks a different hispital than where I plan to deliver, as that's the only place they do that. She said there were some risks involved. But she thought that with the way she 'thinks' the baby is lying -it would be 50/50 chance it would work. We would confirm position at u/s appt.

Some risks were pre-term labour, bleeding, and if the baby became distressed we'd have to do an emergency c-section on the spot... and there was more but I didn't catch all of it. I need to do more research.

She said I didn't have to do it, if it was a no-brainer, no risk proceedure, we'd just do it... but she said I could cancel the appt if I wanted to, and if I was uncomfortable during the proceedure they'd stop. They do monitor the baby and me to see how everyone is doing during & after. Also looks like they give me something to relax the uterus & stop contractions (turbulataine I think).

If the effort to turn baby is unsuccessful we just book c-section for 39 weeks. If I get to the hospital at 39 weeks and the baby has turned, they'll send me home to wait for natural labour.

I'm having hard time deciding if I should go ahead and just book c-section and hope she turns before, or try to move her. I'm not sure the risks are worth it... because it can only really hurt her...whereas the c-section just makes my recovery longer... but she'll be fine.

Then I went to the ultrasound and the baby looks good, but her head is egg-shaped because of her position... awww ( The tech also told me she weighs between 4.5 - 5.2 lbs... good size!
I have normal amniotic fluid levels which is good for trying to turn baby. BUT ... what she is is an 'incomplete breech' (also called a 'footling')... meaning one foot is down, the other is up in her face. (flexible!!) So I'm not sure how this affects, if at all, the attempting to turn her...

My docs office will call me tomorrow to tell me when the appointment is, and my next doc appt is Sept 25th...

Sooo.... still not sure I want to try to turn her... and I'm scared it will hurt her... I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help!! What would you do??!!

UPDATED TO ADD:
How cute is she? This is her cute chubby face, teehee Lookit those cheeks! Poor thing is half smooched (on the left) in my placenta, and on the right is her fist... somewhere aorund there was her foot too. awww
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
September 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hoosier Girl!
Posts: 10,470
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
hhhmmmm...I don't know hun! I think I am biased in this one because I work in a NICU. It is totally your decision and you should do what feels right for you. If you do decide to go with the aversion they will have her on a monitor and know if she become distressed at all and stop. If that happens and you need a c/section then it wouldn't really be any different than if you decided in the first place to do the c/section...except for the baby getting stressed a bit. I personally don't think I would do it with a footling breech. I would be too afraid of hurting her leg that is down or getting caught in the cord. BUT in all reality I don't want a c/section either so if my Dr was confident that the baby's position and cord would cooperate then I might consider it. If she had any doubt whatsoever I would not even try it and go for the c/section. I guess I am no help!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
September 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Boo Boo is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,900
Well that's crappy news, Erin. What a tough decision you have to make. I'm sure I'm not going to be any help, but I'm also leaning against trying to turn her because of the position of her legs. I would schedule a c-section at 39 weeks but keep in mind that I haven't done any research on the procedure (trying to turn her). Hopefully, by some miracle, she will turn herself on her own, but if she doesn't, atleast you know you're both going to be fine. Keep us posted!
__________________
Karly



Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,934
hey i know i didnt get to know you since you had graduated already from the board but i wanted to say sorry your having a hard time. I also wanted to say that i have seen actually alot of shows lately ( always watching discovery health) that they have done the external movement of the baby and it has worked sucessfully even though it does hurt...i guess it will be better than a whole surgery. Also i have seen on shows like "house of babies" that its with midwifes they have people do natural things to try to get the baby to move like put frozen veggies on the spot where the baby is so the baby moves away from the cold to try to get the baby into the birth position. Well whatever you choose i wish you tons of luck! even though i didnt get to know you that well ive still tracked you Good luck with everything. keep us updated
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
September 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,518
Thanks guys, ya i'm leaning towards not doing it... it' s the footling breech part that has me a nervous wreck... I read somewhere about baby's leg getting broken...
I know it is such a small risk, but any risk at all to her is too much I think...
At least I'm the only one that suffers from the section right?
April-working in NICU is a big help, lol... you see the poor little guys in there... I'd hate for mine to end up there because of something I did.... agreeing to the proceedure.

Wish I didn't have to wait until the 25th to see my doc again to discuss...

I can't beleive how scared I am for her!!!! And now to top it all off I'm worried if I go into labour early and her cord gets prolapsed in the birth canal and the oxygen gets cut off... oh gawd, don't get me started!!!

Let's hope my appt is AFTER the 25th so I can talk to my doc again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, they are calling me tomorrow with my appt details, so maybe I can ask to have the doc call me or or talk to me give that she is footling so I can have more information before I decide.... Then I may just book the section.... ACK!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
September 13th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hoosier Girl!
Posts: 10,470
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
I am sure your Dr wont mind calling you and talking to you. Good luck! It is getting soooo close! YAY!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
September 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,064
Quote:
Thanks guys, ya i'm leaning towards not doing it... it' s the footling breech part that has me a nervous wreck... I read somewhere about baby's leg getting broken...
I know it is such a small risk, but any risk at all to her is too much I think...
At least I'm the only one that suffers from the section right?
April-working in NICU is a big help, lol... you see the poor little guys in there... I'd hate for mine to end up there because of something I did.... agreeing to the proceedure.

Wish I didn't have to wait until the 25th to see my doc again to discuss...

I can't beleive how scared I am for her!!!! And now to top it all off I'm worried if I go into labour early and her cord gets prolapsed in the birth canal and the oxygen gets cut off... oh gawd, don't get me started!!!

Let's hope my appt is AFTER the 25th so I can talk to my doc again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, they are calling me tomorrow with my appt details, so maybe I can ask to have the doc call me or or talk to me give that she is footling so I can have more information before I decide.... Then I may just book the section.... ACK![/b]
Hey hun, try not to stress about all this, your bub still has plenty of time to turn around. I'd just book the c-section at 39 weeks and wait and see what happens. As for being worried about going into labour early ... once again don't worry, you'll be at the hospital soon after labour begins, possibly even in the first stage of labout and if bub is still breech then they'll still do a c-section. I have a few friends that had c-sections and knew they were having them regardless and the doc still made them wait until they went into second stage labour before they headed to surgery.

Guess I'm a little biased here though, having a c-section doesn't worry me as I don't get a choice of natural. I'm sure your doc will have no probs talking to you, or the nurse could be quite helpful to speak to as well.
__________________

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
Reply With Quote
  #8  
September 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,518
updated! added an u/s pic...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
September 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM
CO Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Peyton, Colorado
Posts: 7,489
I don't know much about this, but if they can physically turn her themselves, can't she flip on her own then before her due date? I would personally scheduled the c-section and hold out that she will reposition herself, it wouldn't be worth the risk and I would much rather have a c-section. Good luck hun!
__________________
Megan and Dan
Proud Parents to..

*
Isabelle 24 Feb 07*Logan 20 Feb 08* Gabriel 8 June 12
*
Expecting the final addition 22 Feb 2014










Reply With Quote
  #10  
September 17th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,518
So, one of my closest friends who is living so far away that we have a hard time keeping in touch finally wrote this to me... (she's a 2nd year resident and said take anything she says with a grain of salt because she is only a resident...) She wrote a heck of a lot, but this was all I needed to hear from her I think:

" I think if I were in your situation I would probably give the version a try. The risks to baby are important to consider, but the doctors will not proceed on the day of the procedure if they have any concerns at all that it may not go well. And you will be monitored very closely the whole time. If they are unable to do the procedure safely they will stop, or if you become very uncomfortable and ask them to stop they will. Then you can just proceed to booking your section. Good news to consider is that at this stage in pregnancy even if the version ruptured your membranes or put you in to labour, baby would do very well. Although technically you are still pre-term, no one gets too fussed over babies delivering over 34 weeks, and they do almost universally extremely well, especially if born in hospital with pediatricians available. "

And the version has just been scheduled for October 1st... so right now, unless I hear differently from my doctor given that the baby is a footling, I will be going ahead with the version. Clearly a vaginal birth is better for both of us.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #11  
September 17th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hoosier Girl!
Posts: 10,470
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
Good luck! I will be waiting for an update on the first! I think you and the baby will both do fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
September 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Boo Boo is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,900
Good luck, Erin! *crosses fingers*
__________________
Karly



Reply With Quote
  #13  
September 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,934
Good Luck a vaginal birth is great for both of you! i hope that the version goes well...i have seen on alot of shows that it all goes well you'll be in my T & P
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
September 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,518
So my bff wrote back to me again with this:

"I can't tell you how excited I am about your pregnancy - I wish I could be there with you! Just to reassure you further, I ran this by one of the staff obs/gyns that I really like and respect and he felt that the version was definitely the right way to go. Good luck with it! Let me know how you do "

I feel so blessed to have a friend like this... and it's reassuring knowing I am getting advice from doctors coast to coast, haha!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0