Formula companies

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
For those of you who formula feed, how do you feel about the unethical campaigning practices of the formula companies? Do you think by formula feeding you are supporting such behaviour?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
cynicalgal
Not really. I do believe in a certain amount of truth in advertising but it is always the consumers responsibility to educate themselves through unbiased sources.
August 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalgal View Post
Not really. I do believe in a certain amount of truth in advertising but it is always the consumers responsibility to educate themselves through unbiased sources.
What do you mean by unbiased sources? If you formula feed your money is going back to these companies that target third world nations where they legally are not allowed to be to convince the poor uneducated that their breast milk is horrible.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

August 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Well, if I boycotted every company that does something wrong somewhere, I would never buy anything.

I do try to have some consciousness with my consumer decisions, but ultimately I have to draw the line somewhere and simply make the best decision for me and the family.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
August 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
cynicalgal
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
What do you mean by unbiased sources? If you formula feed your money is going back to these companies that target third world nations where they legally are not allowed to be to convince the poor uneducated that their breast milk is horrible.
First, are you insinuating there are not unbiased resources out there for consumers to educate themselves on the subject of formula feedings?

Second, that sounds good to me that formula companies are not allowed to convince the poor uneducated people that their breast milk is horrible.
August 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Huh?

August 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So should women who FF because their bodies won't produce milk or enough milk, who have transmittable diseases, who take meds that could harm the baby through breast milk, starve their babies just to make a political statement? Or that if they use formula they should feel even guiltier about it than the rude strangers who make comments about formula already make them feel?

August 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I was saying that Formula companies unethically sneak into nations where they are not allowed and still spew their biased propaganda.

I'm not saying those who need formula should feel guilty. It's those who chose to use formula solely because they don't WANT to breastfeed if they felt guilty for contributing to these companies.

August 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Oh boy, some people would rather see infants starve than drink formula. Guess what! Our babies are healthy, they're not sickly, they're just as smart, jsut as loved, just as cared for. Jarheadwed said it best and let me leave now before I say something rude.

ok, i will say 1 additional thing,
"I'm not saying those who need formula should feel guilty. It's those who chose to use formula solely because they don't WANT to breastfeed if they felt guilty for contributing to these companies"

So you're saying if someone ff purposely they should feel guilty? How so? I purposely think biased propaganda from bfing mothers either 1. make others FEEL guilty when they are doing what is best for THEIR child. and 2. turns them away. These companies are needed, without these companies mothers who could not or do not wish to bf would be starving their child.

And no I do not feel guilty

August 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
cynicalgal
Quote:
I was saying that Formula companies unethically sneak into nations where they are not allowed and still spew their biased propaganda.

I'm not saying those who need formula should feel guilty. It's those who chose to use formula solely because they don't WANT to breastfeed if they felt guilty for contributing to these companies.
If its ILLEGAL for them to do it, how do they keep doing it? And in this day and age how does one SNEAK into any nation?
August 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
KimberlyD0
I'd like some sorces that are actually up to date.. not from 30 years ago

and I want them to be not BF propaganda..
August 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
They keep doing it because they are paying people to look the other way. Seriously, do a little research.

And no, I did not say FF mothers were horrible, reading into things much? Yes, formula is great for those who need it, but we aren't discussing the benefits of formula - just the ethics of the company.

August 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Show us where you got this from, I wouldn't even know where to look.

August 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I second that! ^^

August 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I have been researching this for the last hour.

You can Google stuff like- "Infant formula company ethics" I googled tons of other stuff too. I am pretty shocked at the things that have gone on in the last 30 years. Wow. Interesting stuff.

That being said. I believe most companies are out to make money. The one thing I see that is "dirty" about what formula companies have done is given false information to people in 3rd world countries about formula. Plus, all the kickbacks given to dr's and hospitals if they give formula to new moms. When people get their pockets stuffed they tend to lose their ethical judgement.

Formula isn't evil...but the companies that make them are pretty crappy sometimes. I am not here to make FF moms feel guilty at all. I admit I was pretty clueless until tonight about formula marketing. Pretty interesting anyway.

Also, seems like a lot of deaths related to formula had to do with contaminated water and diluting which caused malnutrion. These mothers in under developed countries should have been provided with better info about how to give their child formula correctly, but instead were told very little about it and also told that their breastmilk was harmful.

I am sure I left out a ton of stuff because I have only been researching for an hour.

This debate is still about the formula companies and not a mother's decision to FF. I breastfed my son but I am thankful for formula also considering I was FF. Just wanted to keep things on track.

August 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
cynicalgal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaAlexasMom View Post
Yeah I second that! ^^
third.
August 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
cynicalgal
Quote:
They keep doing it because they are paying people to look the other way. Seriously, do a little research.
paying who exactly??? they are paying TSA at the airports to look the other way? They are paying customs? They are paying Border Control?

if its illegal and EVERYONE knows its illegal and formula companies are named on the internet as doing illegal behaviour WHO is stopping it?

it sounds wacky suspicious to me.

seriously, support your claims.
August 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I really don't have a stake in this, but I Googled out of curiosity. It worked quite well. Tons of info.

August 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
KimberlyD0
Share the info.. I want up to date real facts. I googled to and got a bunch of junk and exagerated stories, BF propaganda and old information.

I can't seem to find anything recent

I'm serious here actually I really want to see it.
August 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I found so much stuff I couldn't begin to link every site, but here is a great article that sums up a lot of what I have read. Maybe it will point you in the right direction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/wo...2639.html?_r=1

Last edited by *Jillian*; August 20th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search