Would You Pay?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
I'm a very active member of another message board that caters to the hair essentials for women of color(pulled that from the board's description). This board is probably 20 times busier than JM and you have to pay $5/year for full access/membership to the board. On the message board that I'm speaking of, not only do we have a haircare section, but the setup is almost identical to JM with all of the same forums that JM has too, plus some.

So my question is: If you had to pay $5 to become/remain a member of JustMommies, would you pay it?

October 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
If it was $5 for a year I might. Back when I first started here I would have been absolutely willing to pay it. Over the last year I've steadily watched this site go down hill starting will them selling out to Eharmony. They keep making changes that they say are better but I think they pretty much suck. I'm a co host on my PR and since they switched over we lost a lot of our main members. People are mad and they aren't coming back. Now we all keep in touch on FB. At least we can say what we want on there and not have to worry about being moderated to death.

October 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After knowing how expensive BB Software can be, I would have no problem with a 5.00 a year subscription.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
October 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well,if they suddenly asked for everyone to pay,Id have to leave.I dont have a CC and DH wouldent allow it anyway so...
After more than 3 years on here,Id be tempted to do so..but no,I wouldent *be able* to pay.

BUT,if I were able to pay,Id expect changes as someone who is paying to maintain the site (because thats what the money would be for right?).
Like,more freedom of speech,and to be treated like an adult.The moderators only job would be to make sure we arent having a HUGE fight (with insults and all).But swearing,and real "heated" debates,would be allowed.Call me weird,but at 31,I want to be able to use ceratin words without being "slapped on the wrist" kwim? Not being able to use sex related words on the love & sex board (for example) is just stupid if you ask me.Its already password protected,yet you cant use certain words
The customer is always right..right?? lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

October 11th, 2009, 07:46 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
no, I would not
October 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Probably not, but I am not sure I used to go to a board that went to a $2 a year fee & I quit. I wasn't invested enough to care & didn't want to give out any sort of CC info to a site. I certainly wouldn't pay to join a site I hadn't been part of before...so if I had say to $5 to join JM in the beginning, I would have never shown up in the first place. So I guess I don't see how it works with new members...even say if there was a "thirty day free trial" - it took me much longer than 30 days to actually be personally vested enough to pay. After all there are a ton of free message boards...so unless you thought all of the same people would stick around, there would be no point in paying.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
No way.
October 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
foxfire_ga79
Nope I sure wouldn't. I'm a member of a Great Dane board and they're getting ready to require $5 a year so I'm just going to delete my account. There are tons of free websites out there that allow you to create your own message board, and they make money from advertising banners on the site.
October 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I would if it was a board I really enjoyed going to.

eta....ok...I totally skimmed and misread the OP...sorry. No, I wouldn't pay to post here at JM for many of the same reasons some of the other posters stated.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; October 12th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.
October 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Probably not. I left another site that you had to pay for (didn't leave b/c of paying), and now, there are TONS of sites that you do not have to pay for. Shoot, a lot of friends of mine from other sites would get sick of a certain site and then go off and make their own free site. I think I am a member of 3 or 4 of those types of boards!

October 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I wouldn't. The over moderation here would prevent me from ever paying for it. I belonged to an "anything goes" board, and while some of the threads got very mean at the end of the day we were all friends and we were able to hash it out. Shutting down a thread only leads to harbored resentment and doesn't solve anything.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I wouldn't. The over moderation here would prevent me from ever paying for it. I belonged to an "anything goes" board, and while some of the threads got very mean at the end of the day we were all friends and we were able to hash it out. Shutting down a thread only leads to harbored resentment and doesn't solve anything.
I totally agree with this. The same goes for shutting down complete boards and making others private. A lot of us ladies bickered back and forth on the political board, but most of those issues were ironed out amongst ourselves in a few hours/days---I think. If I'd paid my money based off of being a part of those boards, then I would have been pissed.

October 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
I totally agree with this. The same goes for shutting down complete boards and making others private. A lot of us ladies bickered back and forth on the political board, but most of those issues were ironed out amongst ourselves in a few hours/days---I think. If I'd paid my money based off of being a part of those boards, then I would have been pissed.
I SO agree!!

October 12th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No. These boards are not active enough for that and charging people would kill them entirely. There will be no one left and I'm not paying for empty messege boards.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

October 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM
irishxrose
No, I wouldn't.
October 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
That's a negative. I wouldn't pay for a membership that didn't allow free speech, cursing, and open debates at the very least.

October 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I wouldn't. I'd probably end up getting more emails from Eharmony if I did. Am I the only one who gets them even when we were told we wouldn't, if I recall?
October 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. However, I probably would have back in the "glory days" (3-4 years ago) of the debate boards, when it was just so addictingly awesome!
October 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctattoo View Post
No, I wouldn't. I'd probably end up getting more emails from Eharmony if I did. Am I the only one who gets them even when we were told we wouldn't, if I recall?
Nope you're not the only one. I get them too. I also think this site seems to run worse than it ever did before more often than not.

October 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never gotten emails from eHarmony

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search