Home birthing and health insurance costs

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmom View Post
In my case as well, but thats fat. HAving fat on your hips doesn't make it easier to have babies. The size of the actual pelvis is unchanged. And anyway, my poorly made point was that I could misinterpret those statistics just as well as anyone else. Liek I said the real trick is that those countries misinterpret still birth vs/ live birth in an attempt to get a better number.
Then prove it. I hate to beat a dead horse, but show me evidence that Holland is guilty of skewing birth stats & then your argument might have some validity. You keep making assertions but offer nothing to back it up. And what countries do you mean by "those countries" - is it just Holland (as I cited them) or any country with a better mortality rate?

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Last edited by beck12; October 14th, 2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Stupid gramatical errors... LOL
October 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
Which is only several thousand dollars. Out of reach for many Americans. I am all for the insurance company (not the government) giving incentives for home births, but denying coverage for hospital births is one of the silliest ideas I have heard yet in the healthcare debate.
It sure is out of reach. Between my almost $20,000 3 night stay (one extra night for induction; one week overdue with Gestational Diabetes so ain't no insurance company telling me it's elective), $13,000 for baby going to the NICU for two nights due to my GBS and having a fever (he ended up just fine, all he had was preventative antibiotics), a couple thou for the anesthesiologist , another thou for the hospital's pediatrician to look at my son for about 15 minutes, my birth cost $37,000.

Ok, if the epidural is considered "elective" I would have saved a whole $2000. Whoopee! Only $35,000!

Fortunately, I will only pay about $1000.
October 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To address the original post, I hope that all types of births would be covered and that moms get to birth where they feel comfortable. Personally, I'm planning a home birth with a midwife and it's covered by my insurance and I realize that I'm very lucky for that.

That said, there has been stuff said in this thread that really gets my feathers ruffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBird View Post
I realize a midwife isn't a layperson. I know they have training...I can't express to you enough that even with training you don't have 8 hands or a ventilator strapped to your back! Again, you can't predict when an emergency will happen. Yes, i work at a level III NICU but I take care of babies whose mothers had "normal" uneventful pregnancies...not just high risk deliveries. It just so happens that they deliver in the hospital and can be taken care of. I have also taken care of babies who were brought in from home or a birthing center in respiratory distress and shocky because they had a stressful delivery.
BabyBird, have you ever been to a home birth? Have you ever spoken to a trained midwife about their procedures, protocols, training and equipment? I'm getting the impression you haven't.

My midwife comes with an assistant, oxygen, drugs, a trunk full of just-in-case equipment and years of training. She also knows when to say when and over the course of hundreds of births has never lost anyone. And yes, she's held in prolapsed cord babies waiting for an emergency transfer, dealt with placental abruptions and handled all sorts of other emergencies.

And that's great that you've taken care of babies brought in from home births and birthing centers, that's what you're there for - emergencies, so I'm glad those moms and babies came in when something was wrong because that's what's supposed to happen.

Now, about the stats everyone keeps arguing about...

I'm really surprised no one has brought up the recent Canadian study that compared planned home births (that met eligibility requirements) with planned hospital births (that met the same eligibility requirements as the home birth participants) and found that home birth with a midwife was just as safe and, for some criteria, safer.

Here's the link to the full study text from the Canadian Medical Association Journal, it's an interesting read and I hope people will at least check out the abstract before commenting: Outcomes of planned home birth with registered midwife versus planned hospital birth with midwife or physician -- Janssen et al. 181 (67): 377 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal
October 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
Personally, when I have my children, I would love a home water birth. The fact that I'll save money comes in second. I feel that home births are far more intimate and personal. I've watched enough of 'A Baby Story' on TLC, to know that I don't want every nurse under the sun to not scream and yell. That always drives me nuts. If I **** well want to scream and hollar then I'll do it! I hope that my deliveries are easy and mor relaxed and I hope on i'm not a screaming mom! lol

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

October 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I find it incredibly odd that people who advocate for insurance coverage for homebirths would consequently be for not covering a hospital birth. It seems to me (not statistically, just an observation) that many women who have/support homebirthing are all about womens right to choose what to do with their bodies and how to handle their birthing experience.

Our insurance premiums are high for tons of things that I don't agree with/don't do (alcoholism,smoking, etc.), but I would never suggest that I have the right to think that someone should be denied coverage just because it isn't the way I do things.

I'm all for people having homebirths and being covered if that's what they want to do. It's not for everyone, and I would never advocate for such an idea. More education on the options would be better, instead of bullying people into it by putting them in financial hardship if they didn't go with a homebirth.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

October 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
I find it incredibly odd that people who advocate for insurance coverage for homebirths would consequently be for not covering a hospital birth. It seems to me (not statistically, just an observation) that many women who have/support homebirthing are all about womens right to choose what to do with their bodies and how to handle their birthing experience.
It is odd. Like you, most of the people I've met in home birth circles are generally pro options too. That said, I think the only person advocating for this particular scenario is the original poster.
October 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Tofu Bacon
^Ditto. Those of us who seek "alternative" birthing options are the ones who have to jump through hoops to make it happen.
October 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
That said, I think the only person advocating for this particular scenario is the original poster.
Not advocating so much as devil's-advocating.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
Really? Because, reading through all of your posts on this thread it seemed to me that you were pretty passionate about the topic. Of course, I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that you were all for this.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

October 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
That's what I figured, but didn't want to speak for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search