Log In Sign Up

Differences by countries?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
October 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Are Amaricans and Canadians really that different?

I'm sometimes very suprised by things I hear about the US compaired to here. Like Healthcare for example.

Am I simply too sheltered or are we really that different? What about the rest of the world?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
October 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
Our health care systems are worlds apart. I think overall Canada has less crime. Ummm... Vancouver has a really nice aquarium that is better than anything I've seen here. You guys have Degrassi and Hockey Night, but I think our TV might be better.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #3  
October 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,752
I spent almost all of last summer in Canada camping. It is very, very, very COLD. That was my single most overwhelming impression. There are lots of things that I like about Canada, but I could never live there simply on the basis of the weather alone.

Also, an interesting fact that I learned last summer was that in Canada they had internment camps for the Japanese during WWII as well. I had always thought that it was just the U.S. that did this.
__________________

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
October 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM
aussiemummy
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm sure all countries are very different. I'm Australian yet I live in America. The two countries are similar but very different at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
October 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Obviously we governmental differences but I think as people we're fairly similar.

The main difference I see here (on JM) is those crazy Canadians spell things funny! What's up with adding an extra "u" to words like favorite and color? LOL!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #6  
October 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
aussiemummy
Guest
Posts: n/a
Not just the canadians who do that, Aussies too.

Now come on, LaboUr looks better with the U.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
October 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Crazy Aussies! Labor vs labour.....I think labor looks better! LOL That can be our next debate!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #8  
October 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
I think we are worlds different & it only comes out when certain topics get broached. I think it seems to me as an outsider that Canadians tend to think things like healthcare are a human right, whereas it seem many (if not most American) think it's a privilege you earn on some merit.
__________________
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet




Reply With Quote
  #9  
October 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
I think we have different policies for government but we are very similar as far as culture goes.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #10  
October 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
I think we are worlds different & it only comes out when certain topics get broached. I think it seems to me as an outsider that Canadians tend to think things like healthcare are a human right, whereas it seem many (if not most American) think it's a privilege you earn on some merit.

Thats so true. I was just shocked the first time I found out that people in US couldn't get medical care when they needed no matter what. Still don't get it.

Blows my mind

Everything else is "socialised" why not medicine? thats the one thing I can't get my head around is "capatalist" medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
October 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,207
I had many Canadian friends in college. The main difference I noticed was they tended to lean more liberal regarding most policy. That and they said "eh" a lot more.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
October 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
Not just the canadians who do that, Aussies too.

Now come on, LaboUr looks better with the U.
Brits do it too because it's proper English!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
October 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
I think we have different policies for government but we are very similar as far as culture goes.
I don't know.. you guys don't even have Ketchup chips, your drinks need more alcohol, you don't have a Tims on every corner (with the knowledge that's not enough) and not everyone has a favorite hockey team... I don't know if you even know who Bob and Doug Mackenzie are, eh?

All kidding aside, two of my closest mom buddies are beck12 and StaceyC from these debates. We'll chat on the phone and every so often we are speaking completely different languages even though we are speaking English, albeit American.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
October 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
I don't know.. you guys don't even have Ketchup chips, your drinks need more alcohol, you don't have a Tims on every corner (with the knowledge that's not enough) and not everyone has a favorite hockey team... I don't know if you even know who Bob and Doug Mackenzie are, eh?

All kidding aside, two of my closest mom buddies are beck12 and StaceyC from these debates. We'll chat on the phone and every so often we are speaking completely different languages even though we are speaking English, albeit American.
We do have Ketchup chips and they are disgusting? Oh we don't put gravy on our french fries. Some states have Tims but all of the cool places have Dunkin Donuts! Oh and I'm not even going to touch the hockey thing. I'm afraid you might beat me with a hockey stick!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #15  
October 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm not saying you have to eat Ketchup chips all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
I spent almost all of last summer in Canada camping. It is very, very, very COLD. That was my single most overwhelming impression. There are lots of things that I like about Canada, but I could never live there simply on the basis of the weather alone.
You know, Canadians DO focus quite a bit on weather! DH just was chatting me up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
Also, an interesting fact that I learned last summer was that in Canada they had internment camps for the Japanese during WWII as well. I had always thought that it was just the U.S. that did this.
A huge black eye even though our government gave an apology. (How do you really apologize for that, YKWIM?)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
October 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
I'm not saying you have to eat Ketchup chips all the time!
All of the time? I don't want to eat them any time! I like ketchup but ketchup chips are not good!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #17  
October 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
All of the time? I don't want to eat them any time! I like ketchup but ketchup chips are not good!
I agree Susan. Also not good? Ketchup on macaroni and cheese. Is all Canadian food so tasteless that they must pour ketchup over everything?!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
October 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
I agree Susan. Also not good? Ketchup on macaroni and cheese. Is all Canadian food so tasteless that they must pour ketchup over everything?!
I don't understand the question.. what crazy American English are you speaking?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
October 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by donomama View Post
I agree Susan. Also not good? Ketchup on macaroni and cheese. Is all Canadian food so tasteless that they must pour ketchup over everything?!
Eww ketchup on mac and cheese? That's just disgraceful! I'm writing to President Obama to demand we find a way to cut Canada apart from the United States.

Many years ago my family hosted a foreign exchange student from Brazil and his brother came to stay later as well. They were most impressed by our mayonnaise. They put it on everything. I had to leave the table when they put it on PIZZA!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #20  
October 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Tofu Bacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
I don't know.. you guys don't even have Ketchup chips, your drinks need more alcohol, you don't have a Tims on every corner (with the knowledge that's not enough) and not everyone has a favorite hockey team... I don't know if you even know who Bob and Doug Mackenzie are, eh?
Wait a minute... in Vermont (aka, Canada Jr.) we say/spell it catsup. I always though you did, too

We say "eh" in VT, too. Last month we went up to northern VT for vacation and there was this older couple from Ontario whom we chummed around with. Dh teased for days that she was me in 20 years: a little blonde neo-hippie, always smiling and saying "eh?"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0