Wisdom teeth -- slightly off topic

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
aussiemummy
Good luck you will do great!!!
October 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had many different dentists- some wanted them out right away. My current one says that if they are not causing problems- why remove?

Interestingly enough, 2 dentists I had said I had all 4 wisdom teeth, and 2 other dentists said I just had 2.

October 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine are still in. I've never had a dentist that wanted to take them out. And they have never caused me problems.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
irishxrose
I had all four of mine taken out at the same time. It wasn't too bad. Mine were affecting my sinuses(my top right one was actually half IN my sinus cavity) and causing me to get sick really often, so I never had an option of not taking at least that one out. Of the other three, one came in sideway, one was already in straight - but had impacted, and the other was just coming through and would have come in sideways. It was easier to get all four out and deal with that pain only once then having to keep going back. They knocked me completely out for the procedure because of how mine were, and honestly the surgery was a walk in the park. Healing wasn't so great, but I'm glad they're gone.

DH still has his, and we're going to have to get them removed soon. They all came in straight but now they're impacting and really starting to hurt him. His dentist told him years ago since they came in straight they wouldn't cause problems. Lo and behold... now they are giving him problems. So... yeah.
October 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you meet with a good oral surgan they can discuss other options to general anesthesia. I'm terrified, but with how bad my wisdom teeth are on the bottom they do require at least "laughing gas" or waking anesthesia. My top two teeth are fine, but the bottom two are either 3/4 or totally impacted which *will* eventually impact the alignment and quite honestly, it is starting to now.

From what I have been told though, is the younger you are the easier the procedure is because the roots and tooth have not fully developed. After a certain age there is more risk of taking them out because of the development of the tooth as a whole. But really it depends on your individual tooth situation. I know my grandfather went to have his removed b/c and they said "sorry dude your too old and the tooth is too developed -- its too risky to remove it now and your not experiencing problems."

What my dentist told me though, is the biggest fear is that you do not reach your tooth brush far enough into your mouth to brush properly causing cavity and tooth decay. Also, when the tooth is only partially exposed, food partials and other germs can get under the gums and cause infections. Also, because my top two are just "normal" my dentist said "You could leave the top two in, and see if they cause problems and address it them; however, since the bottom two are impacted you might as well go ahead and get all 4 removed while you are already under." It really isn't significant price wise to remove the tooth, its the anesthesia that is costly. Also, if you find a great dentist/oral surgeon they will be sure to find a way to remove your wisdom teeth and so do with a pain management option that suites your needs. The one I saw, when I asked about just novacain (or whatever its called now) said his biggest fear is that with how badly mine are impacted that once they start the operation I might get nervous, pass out, feel uncomfortable, etc (my words -- freak out). He did say, that the novacine would be fine if he was just removing the top two. However, I do know people who had impacted wisdom teeth who did not go with laughing gas or general anesthesia

Totally rambling now - but I'm terrified so I haven't done it yet. I told DH he has to go first and tell me how bad it is!
October 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
I have done a fair amount of research on this issue, admittedly with the express purpose of arming myself with evidence to fend off the overzealous dentists. Any research that suggests that wisdom teeth removal is benficial, I generally ignore (really, you have no idea how terrified I am of this procedure). That said, what I have found says that (a) wisdom tooth removal is the most over-prescribed invasive surgery in America, and, (b) if your wisdom teeth come in straight then there is no real reason to have them removed at all (three of my teeth are straight, but the one with the cavity isn't).

Please tell me about your wisdom teeth-related experiences. Have all of you had yours removed? If not, how did you get out of it? What compelling arguments can you offer me to use against my dentist when I inevitably call to cancel the appointment I made for next week?

Anxiously awaiting!
I've read the same thing in many of the "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You" books. I wish I would have read more about it beforehand but I had blind-faith in the allopathic world once. So I have all four pulled. It was awful for me because I was on birth control at the time and had two dry sockets. (Birth control can increase your chance of drysockets.) Also, they had syringes as part of the cleaning which they have apparently changed procedure on. It's awesome you educated yourself before hand because instead you aren't going through a possibly needless procedure of getting them all done. I think dentists like mayandsofiasmommy's are rare but keepers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brui77 View Post
Thanks, ladies. I've ultimately decided to bite the bullet and get just the one tooth taken out (the one that has a cavity in it). I have an appointment for this Monday. Wish me luck!
Good luck for sure! My biggest regret was getting them all done at once. If I had the chance to do it over, I would do it one at a time so I could at least chew with one side of my mouth!
October 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had all four of mine cut out when I was 17. I wasn't put under I got a lot of shots in my mouth then was given gas so I was in lala land. The recovery was awful. I had them taken out on a Friday with plans to be back in school Monday but ended up missing almost an entire week of work and school.

October 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
I only have one, and it's removal is such a serious surgery that they're avoiding doing it at any cost. I'd absolutely love to have normal ones so they could come out... someday this one will have to and I'm afraid of the outcome.

for anyone who wants to know mine is above my sinus just behind the lip of my cheek bone. They can't go in and get it anyway other than removing my entire cheek and scooping it out (or drilling into my face and replacing it with metal mesh, but I'd have a HUGE scar from that one, and less of one from the other) I'm guaranteed to be wired shut for 3 months, but more like 6, and I will have scars along my hair line, temple and ear from where they have to cut the skin away to peel it back. Trust me, anything is beter than this!
Have you gotten a second opinion on how they could do this? Both my uppers came in my sinus cavities, one causing a tumor to grow & they were able to do the surgery by going through my mouth (albeit hyper-extending my jaw which did suck because it causes my jaw to clamp down after ward for a long time...bear with me, I wish I could remember exactly how long, bu I was 18 & that was 17 yrs ago...LOL Anyway it screwed with my sinuses for along time & I think it may have been something they couldn't avoid, as they were partially IN the sinus itself. The bottom two grew into the jawbone & around the facial nerve...this is actually what was my first symptom, facial numbness. It was a major surgery. When asked on med forms if I have ever had surgery I always list it - I am often told that isn't really what they mean by surgery - until I explain what they did. Anyway - the reason I ask is because the FIRST Dr did recommend something close to what you are saying, but the 2nd & 3rd opinion disagreed & suggested that it could be done through my mouth. It definitely wasn't a picnic, but it worked out fine.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I still have all four of my wisdom teeth as well and my experience has been the opposite of yours! I have never had a Dr tell me to remove them and when I ask them they tell me theres no reason to remove them since they aren't causing a problem.... I just find it hard to believe because I have a small mouth, but they have all told me "small mouth, small teeth, no problem".

DH only has two and was one of those lucky folks who only ever had two (acording to xrays the other two aren't just unerrupted, they are totally absent). He still has his 2 and no one has ever suggested he have them removed because again, they are causing no problems.

If they aren't casuing you trouble keep them... BUT if they are unerupted and they are telling you to have them removed or if they are giving you some reasons, I would DO IT. My dad had some unerupted widom teeth and he ignored his dentist. They erupted into his sinuses and caused some pretty horrid problems. He wished he had listened and hed them cut out earlier.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

October 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
I'm 32 and still have all my wisdom teeth. Doc's been trying to get me to remove them since I was 18. He said that they look like they will grow in crooked so I should get them out. But they've never tried to pop thru or bothered my other teeth in any way.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Well ladies, I just got back from the dentist and I've gotta say, I have NO IDEA what it was I was so freaked out about. That procedure seriously took all of 30 seconds (well, 45 minutes of me lying in the chair, growing increasingly more panicked as I waited for the dentist to come and get the show started -- then 30 seconds of actual 'procedure'). I thought they were going to be cutting into my gums, but they didn't -- just used something that basically looked like pliers to sort of wrench the tooth out. No stitches, no nothing. Easy breezy. Heck, at this rate, I might have to go back and get the other three done!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search