Log In Sign Up

Balloon Boy Hoax?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
October 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,979
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I thought it was a hoax from the start, and after seeing the boy on LK and hearing what he said, I just don't think he'd have said that if it wasn't true. And, dad was sooooo uncomfortable and then acted totally offended when questioned about what the boy said.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #22  
October 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
I want desperately to believe that it was not a hoax. I first heard about it while driving in my car and almost had to pull over. It disturbed and scared and horrified me SO much. Thinking about a little boy, scared to death, 6000 feet in the air in a balloon that could come falling down at any moment. Then, thinking about the parents and what pain they must have been in watching the balloon completely helpless.
I know people are making jokes about it now, but if Falcon had really been in that balloon......can you even imagine as a parent how that would feel?
And now, to hear that the whole thing may have been a hoax - it outrages me! I am not surprised that it made international news - it was a horrible and captivating story when people thought the little boy was in the balloon and it is still a horrible and captivating story now that we find out it may have been a hoax.
I don't know if that family has any money but I think some of the rescue people should sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress - if it was a hoax that is.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
October 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't think they would be filing charges if they didn't think it was a hoax, but I guess we'll see....


Sheriff: Charges will be filed in balloon saga - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote
  #24  
October 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
^ Yay! One of my reporter buddies contributed to that story. He lost his job when the Rocky Mountain News folded and I didn't know he was working for the AP now.

Anyway, yeah, weird family. I didn't know he was pitching his own reality show to different stations. The class 3 misdemeanor is probably false reporting.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #25  
October 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,979
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I'm glad the sheriff did an about face on this. I think it is despicable that these parents are putting this child through this so they could promote themselves. That child has gotten sick TWO times now during interviews, and they didn't even take him off stage. It seems they will do nearly anything for the publicity! Disgusting!
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #26  
October 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
The fact that the parents seemed upset when they reported what happened means absolutely nothing to me. Doesn't anyone remember Susan Smith? She bawled like you wouldn't believe and she had everyone convinced she was a poor victim and someone stole her little boys. Some people are very very good at faking emotions.
Rewatch those videos...Susan never shed a tear...she quivered her chin & voice a lot - but not a single tear, unlike the poor father.
__________________
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet




Reply With Quote
  #27  
October 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
^^Maybe he's just a better actor.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #28  
October 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
*insert foot in mouth*

All right, I'm with you guys... it was a hoax. The info that just came out makes that pretty clear; they just wanted attention and it was a publicity stunt. Ugh, I can't believe I defended those people. Oh well. I seriously hope they get charged AND have to make restitution, AND apologize to the world and the rescuers.

Sheriff: Colo. couple's report was publicity stunt - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
October 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,979
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
They met at acting school..... how ironic!
It's ok Andrika, we all want to see the best in people, and sometimes we are dissapointed. I just can't imagine bringing my kids into a mess like that for publicity~!
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #30  
October 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 39,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
*insert foot in mouth*

All right, I'm with you guys... it was a hoax. The info that just came out makes that pretty clear; they just wanted attention and it was a publicity stunt. Ugh, I can't believe I defended those people. Oh well. I seriously hope they get charged AND have to make restitution, AND apologize to the world and the rescuers.

Sheriff: Colo. couple's report was publicity stunt - USATODAY.com
People all over the world fell for it so you're certainly not alone. People were posting all over the internet about that kid as it was going on. Several of the people on my FB were posting that they were praying for him.

I really and truly hope that they not only press criminal charges on the parents but that they also stick them with the bill for all of the rescue stuff that was implemented that day. I definitely don't think the kids should be charged. They can't help they have idiots for parents. What kind of parents would encourage their children to lie like that.

It also seemed awful convenient to me that the kid got sick during the interview. The parents didn't even really seem concerned. If my kid started puking I think I'd end the interview. I wouldn't put it past them to have drugged the kid.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #31  
October 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
Hahahahahaha!!

Quote:
"he may be nutty, but he's not a professor," alderden said.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #32  
October 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
People all over the world fell for it so you're certainly not alone. People were posting all over the internet about that kid as it was going on. Several of the people on my FB were posting that they were praying for him.

I really and truly hope that they not only press criminal charges on the parents but that they also stick them with the bill for all of the rescue stuff that was implemented that day. I definitely don't think the kids should be charged. They can't help they have idiots for parents. What kind of parents would encourage their children to lie like that.

It also seemed awful convenient to me that the kid got sick during the interview. The parents didn't even really seem concerned. If my kid started puking I think I'd end the interview. I wouldn't put it past them to have drugged the kid.
Ugh, yeah. It always riles me up when people take advantage of others' emotions and don't have a care about what this sort of thing can do to people, and how many resources it takes, and argh. Stupid weird parents.

I did hear that CPS was investigating. And apparently there have been several 911 calls from the house in the past year, including one alleged domestic incident. I think these parents didn't think that this thing would blow up like it did - but that happens when you apparently have no common sense! I hope they get charged. Serves 'em right.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
October 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,979
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
Ugh, yeah. It always riles me up when people take advantage of others' emotions and don't have a care about what this sort of thing can do to people, and how many resources it takes, and argh. Stupid weird parents.

I did hear that CPS was investigating. And apparently there have been several 911 calls from the house in the past year, including one alleged domestic incident. I think these parents didn't think that this thing would blow up like it did - but that happens when you apparently have no common sense! I hope they get charged. Serves 'em right.
You don't think they thought the story would blow up like this or that they would get busted and be in so much trouble? Because, I believe they fully intended for it to make national news, and just didn't think they would get caught. They were doing it to get their names out there again because they have been pitching a reality show.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #34  
October 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
You don't think they thought the story would blow up like this or that they would get busted and be in so much trouble? Because, I believe they fully intended for it to make national news, and just didn't think they would get caught. They were doing it to get their names out there again because they have been pitching a reality show.

The scary thing is that they may never have been caught except for the fact that Falcon is only six and hasn't had the time to practice and master lying. He was probably so confused by his father's question as to why he didn't come out when he was called. He was too little to know to just continue to play along with the lie and answered his father honestly. I am sad for those kids.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
October 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
You don't think they thought the story would blow up like this or that they would get busted and be in so much trouble? Because, I believe they fully intended for it to make national news, and just didn't think they would get caught. They were doing it to get their names out there again because they have been pitching a reality show.
I do not believe they expected it to go international - or for it to literally blow up in their faces like it did. Like you said, they intended to get away with it and failed. I think they thought they wouldn't get punished for it and well now they get to live with the consequences of their stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
October 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,979
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
I do not believe they expected it to go international - or for it to literally blow up in their faces like it did. Like you said, they intended to get away with it and failed. I think they thought they wouldn't get punished for it and well now they get to live with the consequences of their stupidity.
I think, at the very least, they expected it to to be all over our major news stations (after all they had been on wifeswap, he's been an ireporter for CNN, been pitching a reality show). I think, more than likely, the coverage part turned out to be even better than what they expected. What they didn't expect was for their poor little six year old to not understand the scope of the situation enough to keep from telling the truth. They should have known had they got caught they would be in trouble. Didn't the runaway bride get billed for her fiasco?
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #37  
October 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
^^^ Yes, I've read several cases of people who faked their abductions having to pay back the cost of search and rescue efforts.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
October 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
^^^ Yes, I've read several cases of people who faked their abductions having to pay back the cost of search and rescue efforts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
I think, at the very least, they expected it to to be all over our major news stations (after all they had been on wifeswap, he's been an ireporter for CNN, been pitching a reality show). I think, more than likely, the coverage part turned out to be even better than what they expected. What they didn't expect was for their poor little six year old to not understand the scope of the situation enough to keep from telling the truth. They should have known had they got caught they would be in trouble. Didn't the runaway bride get billed for her fiasco?
Runaway Bride agreed to pay $13,250 to the city of Duluth, Ga., to help pay for the overtime costs the city incurred searching for her, and this was not related to her sentence.She offered this on her own. Hell the broad had a 500K wedding planned she could have forked out the entire bill here. The City incurred costs in excess of $43K. She had to pay the Dekalb Sheriff's office $2550.00 as part of her sentence.

I do think that since this was a hoax, the family should be held liable for the expenses incurred.

You hear of rescues efforts running into the thousands of dollars. NO one should ever have to fear of not being rescued based on affordability. For this man KNOWING that his child was not in the balloon and this was a hoax, galls the HELL out of me. HE could have spoken up at anytime in this process.
__________________
And now there are 6....
Traci 14
Leigh 9
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
Reply With Quote
  #39  
October 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
Seems like a perfectly normal individual: YouTube - AC360 10/15/09 Richard Heene on Wife Swap
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #40  
October 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,987
^ lol , perfectly normal.
__________________







Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0