Balloon Boy Hoax?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure you all have heard about the "Balloon Boy." Now there is speculation that this is a hoax. WDYT? Try to watch the video.
October 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I don't see a video.

I can tell you that family is freakin nuts. I saw them all on Larry King last night and I couldn't believe how nutty they were and how that child wouldn't stop jumping around everywhere and the other two were like zombies...just sitting there staring at the camera. It all felt weird.

October 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is a link to the video in the article, but it is the same thing you probably saw on CNN last night, where the boy was asked why he didn't come out of the box in the garage and he looked at his parents and said "You said.... it was because of the show."
October 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hoax hoax hoax.

I think these parents want their own reality show or soemthing. They just want money and the limelight. End of story.

I mean what does this guy Richard Heene even do for a living? The whole thing is super fishy.

Thanks Ryan and Alex's mommy for the siggy!

October 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
I read about that today on a local news site, I think it could be a hoax, maybe not, but must add it was the most unimportant and useless thing I've read today... why does bs like this gets national news coverage? lame

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I'm just glad it wasn't a JonBennet Ramsey ending. (That was the worst-case senerio playin in my head.) I can put up with jerks trying to be famous but not a death of a child.
October 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I think they just wanted to show off their balloon. Mission accomplished, I guess. This got them international attention.

October 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know but did anyone see him on the Today show? He was sick and threw up during part of the interview. I would have excused him and taken him elsewhere but they all sat there while mom held the bowl

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I don't know but did anyone see him on the Today show? He was sick and threw up during part of the interview. I would have excused him and taken him elsewhere but they all sat there while mom held the bowl
Crazies.

October 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
The costs keep adding up. My friend was flying out to South Dakota yesterday and his flight was delayed until the balloon went down. United reimbursed him $100.

October 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm leaning towards hoax. Poor confused kid!

October 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
irishxrose
There's going to be a press conference at 2 pm eastern time today - and they released the 911 call. Both parents seem to both be completely freaked out on the call.... sounds like genuine fear to me. I honestly don't know if it's a hoax. Personally, I'm leaning towards the kids may have pulled a prank on their parents, though. The neighbors said that the little boys told them that their brother was on board and that the parents were running around frantically trying to find their kid. Might be the little boy wanted to get back at his parents, and so he and his brothers pulled a prank. The parents sounded completely devastated though. Soooo....

They are a weird family though, that's for sure.
October 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The whole thing seems completely fishy to me. If it turns out to have been a hoax I hope they charge the parents every dime of what everything cost yesterday.

October 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
There's going to be a press conference at 2 pm eastern time today - and they released the 911 call. Both parents seem to both be completely freaked out on the call.... sounds like genuine fear to me. I honestly don't know if it's a hoax. Personally, I'm leaning towards the kids may have pulled a prank on their parents, though. The neighbors said that the little boys told them that their brother was on board and that the parents were running around frantically trying to find their kid. Might be the little boy wanted to get back at his parents, and so he and his brothers pulled a prank. The parents sounded completely devastated though. Soooo....

They are a weird family though, that's for sure.
Have you seen the video of when they lost the balloon? Both parents were out there.

October 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
irishxrose
Yeah, I watched it - they freaked out after it lifted off and they realized the boy wasn't in the backyard. I watched this whole thing go down yesterday from the beginning and watching the press conference now - I just don't think the parents, from their reactions and the information given, planned this. Nothing really backs the hoax assertion up - it really goes against everything that I personally saw as I watched the local stations and listened to the CSP and Larimer County scanners yesterday and is pure speculation. So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that it wasn't a hoax.... I am open to the idea that the boys themselves decided to pull a prank and say their brother was in the balloon, especially after reading and hearing the neighbors' accounts but not to the hoax idea. I could be wrong and maybe it was a hoax, but it goes against everything that I saw, especially right after they found him and the visible relief on everyone's faces. Just my opinion anyway.

I've been watching the press conference as well... LCSO is backing up the family's account and doesn't think it was a hoax. Haha, he just said that LE agencies deal with facts, not rampant speculation. Go Sheriff Alderden.
October 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I don't get why they lied about where they were when the balloon took off. Initially they said only the ten-year-old was in the backyard.

I'm just sad I moved from Fort Collins before I got to see the flying saucer in a backyard.

October 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
beats me, but they sure did get a lot of attention. It made the front page above the fold on our local Canadian newspaper, on a day where there was also a beating of a student by 6 cops in our city.... but balloon kid was above that.

October 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
I don't get why they lied about where they were when the balloon took off. Initially they said only the ten-year-old was in the backyard.

I'm just sad I moved from Fort Collins before I got to see the flying saucer in a backyard.
Yeah, I don't really understand that bit, but it could just be they only assumed that he was? I don't know, but I guess we'll see what happens in the next few days after LCSO interviews the family.

I'll admit that I wanted to see it but we're too far south. Dang. lol
October 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The fact that the parents seemed upset when they reported what happened means absolutely nothing to me. Doesn't anyone remember Susan Smith? She bawled like you wouldn't believe and she had everyone convinced she was a poor victim and someone stole her little boys. Some people are very very good at faking emotions.

October 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And the "big announcement"?
What the heck was that all about? The press arrives for the big announcement and are told to put their questions in writing in the box and then dad goes back in the house.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search