Interracial couple denied marriage license

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This story just makes me sick. and yes he should resign. Or be fired.

October 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
I agree. A person can be racist until they're red, white, and blue in the face for all I care in their own house and on their property. Wear all the white sheets they wanna wear and hang all of the racist flags they want, but when you step outside of your domain and into the public sector, that trash needs to be left at home.

He needs to take all that crap to the house and stay there with it. How can he and has he been expected to be fair to AA with the mentality that he has in his line of work. Who knows how many people he has wronged in the justice system just because of the color of their skin-such as giving harsher sentences to AAs. Quite sickening if you ask me.

But the odd thing is this- I don't respect him, but I do respect his opinion. I don't agree with him, but I respect his opinion. At least he's upfront about how he feels so people will know how to deal with him. It's the "closet racists" that I have a problem /take issue with that sometimes let their true colors show then try to retract their actions. You know-- the ones that try to hide their racism but don't really do a good job at hiding it.
I agree with that. If this man were a member of the clergy and turning people down I wouldn't mind so much because it would be his right to do so even if I don't agree with his ignorant beliefs. However, since he holds a public office it's his job to uphold public law. If doesn't like well then it's time for him to find a new job.

I'm really curious as to how many couples this has happened to before. It's not like interracial marriages are uncommon now. It surprises me that this seems to be the first time we're hearing about it.

This guy really seems to have time warped back to 1959. Umm sorry dude it's 2009 and the laws have changed now.

If he says he's so concerned about interracial marriages not lasting and it affecting any children that are born into the marriage well then why isn't he concerned about the marriage statistics? Why doesn't he refuse to marry people who have been married previously? They have a higher rate of divorce than people who are marrying for the first time. Why not worry about younger people because they have a higher rate of divorce as well?

October 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
I agree with that. If this man were a member of the clergy and turning people down I wouldn't mind so much because it would be his right to do so even if I don't agree with his ignorant beliefs. However, since he holds a public office it's his job to uphold public law. If doesn't like well then it's time for him to find a new job.

I'm really curious as to how many couples this has happened to before. It's not like interracial marriages are uncommon now. It surprises me that this seems to be the first time we're hearing about it.

This guy really seems to have time warped back to 1959. Umm sorry dude it's 2009 and the laws have changed now.

If he says he's so concerned about interracial marriages not lasting and it affecting any children that are born into the marriage well then why isn't he concerned about the marriage statistics? Why doesn't he refuse to marry people who have been married previously? They have a higher rate of divorce than people who are marrying for the first time. Why not worry about younger people because they have a higher rate of divorce as well?
@Susie-I totally agree.To the bolded, I wondered the SAME thing. He even stated at some point that he has only turned down 3 or 4 couples for the SAME reason. Who were these couples and why didn't they raise some dust too.

October 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
And his reasoning is just plain stupid anyway lol. He doesn't want to marry them because he fears for their interracial children.... you don't have to be married to have children.lol. I did see the woman on the news, they did get married by another JP.She was crying and said she was thinking about suing.... here we go again with happy suers.But that's a whole 'nother story lol. He needs to either resign or be fired.... but at the same time do you think they should continue to let him work there but he has to follow all the rules?

October 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Yeah I don't understand why no one seems to have raised hell about it before because I know I would have. I'd have taken my story right to a lawyer and the media.

October 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
@Susie-I totally agree.To the bolded, I wondered the SAME thing. He even stated at some point that he has only turned down 3 or 4 couples for the SAME reason. Who were these couples and why didn't they raise some dust too.
Never mind the three or four couples who were turned down -- what about all of the NON-interracial couples who called this JOP up only to be asked whether or not they were 'mixed race'? You'd think that simply being asked that question in the first place would be enough to raise some eyebrows. This JOP should have been reported a LONG time ago, as apparently there were plenty of people out there who knew what he was up to.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search