A Man Experiencing Childbirth

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM
aussiemummy
Who can withstand more pain, men or women?

YouTube - A Man Experiencing Childbirth
October 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I watched this with my DH. Within the first four minutes he said, "Honey, there is no way I would be able to go through that." I had to smile, even though I have yet to go through labor myself because maybe he will be understanding no matter what I say to him during childbirth.

October 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I loved that video! I'm due to give birth soon and I think I should make DH watch it. He's been through it once with me before though and said he doesn't know how women do it!

Oh and on a little side note....that guy was kinda hot.

October 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
foxfire_ga79
Heck yea he was cute, did you see those dimples!!
I have a TENS, I wonder what DH would do if I hooked him up while he was sleeping and then gave him a good pop. lol
They should have put some on his back and on his inner thighs too.
But kudos to him for even being willing to try.
October 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
lol so funny. Was it hooked up to his back to or just his stomach?Women can definitely handle pain better lol.

October 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think every father should have to have three or four hours of simulated contractions, lol!

October 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have an honest to goodness question I never thought of before now....when you have "regular" (front labor - I had ALL back ) do you not feel pain between contrax? My pain was constant with peaks of more severe pain, but constant, constant pain. It was clear in this video that he was not in pain between contrax.....

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I agree every dad should go tru this!

Beck ; I think the norm is having some "painfree" between the conx.
i had a front labour but i never had ANY breaks either from the pain, just had what you described on the varies off pain

October 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow,how cool was that?? lol
I think its cool that he tried,and he was VERY cute! lol.But I dont need an experiment to know that men cant resist as much pain as women.
Women are designed to have higher pain thresholds because we are the ones designed to give birth and experience labour,so our bodies are obviously going to resist ALOT better better.

Its not that men are weak or anything,its just that they arent designed to experience or resist such pain.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

October 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
foxfire_ga79
For me if there was pain between my contractions it wasn't enough to bother me.
October 18th, 2009, 08:02 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Same here.
October 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
irishxrose
New dads should definitely have to do this!! Cool video!

Women definitely know how to handle pain better. If that guy could only handle front labor for three hours, I'm pretty sure he would have had a nervous breakdown with my 31 hours of nonstop back labor. LOL
October 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I have a TENS unit and its no where near as painful as my natural childbirth! Loved the video though
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Seriously? I can't believe I didn't know this. To explainmy back labor, when it started I thought I threw my back out & was having intermittent back spasms. So the pain was always there, and was topped off by periodic severe pain. Toward the end, even when it came to pushing, the pain was so constant they had to tell me when I was contracting by keeping a hand on my tummy so that I knew when to push, because I felt like I was contracting continuously. Even in earlier labor, Dh would watch the monitor & tell me I was having a contraction, when it would peek & when it was coming down. I could feel that I was having a contraction, but the pain was the same ALL the way through the contraction, so having him tell me when it peeked on the monitor gave me an idea of how long until it let up a little. But yah - I seriously never gave it a thought that between contrax might feel decent with front labor - because to me it was pretty constant & you can only really know what you experience until a discussion like this comes up, I never even thought to ask. I really hope I dont have back labor this time. Because for sure I don't want it to hurt so much of course but also because I truly would love to be able to compare the two types as well.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
foxfire_ga79
Wow that sounds like such a nightmare.
With my boys I didn't make it too far into labor before I had epidurals but my daughter was natural. Even still it was a strange labor and don't know how I can compare it to a "normal" one. It was extremely fast, barely more than a half hour that I was awake for because we didn't know I was even in labor at first until we discovered I was 5cm, and by then the contractions were lasting longer than the space between them. They were 40-45 seconds long with about 15 seconds from when one ended until the next one started. I very well could have been in pain in those few seconds in between but the contractions themselves were so severe that as soon as they were done the relief was amazing.
I do specifically remember that when it was time to push, the pain stopped. My water didn't break until I was 10cm and then it suddenly didn't hurt near as bad, and as long as I was pushing it didn't hurt, it hurt NOT to push.
I don't know if it's like that with other women though. The labor and delivery boards are full of birth stories and no 2 are even remotely similar!

Maybe if the baby is facing so you would have a back labor again, you could see a chiropractor. I've heard there are things they can do to get babies to turn. And there are positions you can do like you would do yoga poses but I can't remember which ones do which. You Tube has some really great vids about exercises for before and during labor.
October 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Maybe if the baby is facing so you would have a back labor again, you could see a chiropractor. I've heard there are things they can do to get babies to turn. And there are positions you can do like you would do yoga poses but I can't remember which ones do which. You Tube has some really great vids about exercises for before and during labor.
There´s not much you can do about back labour,if you are going to have it,you have it lol.
I had back labour with all 3 of my kids (I went through about 4 hours of contrax even before the c-section with my son and 2 hours each with my girls before the epidural) and it just seems that thats the way my body works.My midwife told me that when a woman has a regular labour (no back labour) her contractions come in waves all over her abdomen (from the hips to the bottom/middle),but with back labour,there isnt a peak or waves or releif kwim? The intensity is all the same all the way through and there is usually pain between contractions too.

My contractions all started at the hight of my kidneys with extreme intensity (right from the start) and they were SO painful that I wasnt even aware that I actually had any pain at the front kwim? I could never tell when my abdominal muscles were actually contracting because the pain was highly concentrated in my back all 3 times.

Back labour takes your breath away..there´s no breathing through contrax when you cant take deep breaths because it hurts your back so much kwim?

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

October 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
foxfire_ga79
Owie.
October 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I know this may sound stupid - but this is all so strange to me. I have really read up a ton on back labor since this came up & have thought about it a lot. I find it so strange that with all the reading & writing I have done even just on JM I never understood that there was a breather so to speak between contrax. I have an inverted pelvic bone...so I was told I was a c-section risk going in & saw a chiro my whole pg to try & align my back & pelvis specifically to open that area & straighten. I also did exercises & worked with a birthing ball & squats to try & make a vag delivery more obtainable. I got my vag dely - I had a LONGGGGGG labor with slow progression topped off with tearing through my rectum & breaking my tailbone....I am REALLY hoping this delivery goes faster & easier. My recovery was a freaking nightmare - it just took soooooo long to feel remotely okay & capable of even getting around. I had tailbone pain for well over a year, still have trouble with sciatica (now made MUCH worse by being pg again) and I had back pain (where when I finally agreed to an epidural at about hour 65 - wish I was joking - and they tried 12 times for an epi & 3 times for a spinal block) I was too swollen to get a needle in (in my joints) and all that did was bruise me terribly - they hit some nerve at some point that I think is responsible for my current sciatica pain as it set my butt on FIRE when they did it & it has bothered me ever since & my back was terrible for a solid 6 mos PP. Soooooooo - please, if you have any compassion - send me all of your ELV even if you don't always see eye to eye with me! Please.

October 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
foxfire_ga79
ELV headed your way, I always have compassion for a woman in labor! I can say though that in my experience that 2nd and 3rd recoveries are easier than the first. Your body has gone through this before and won't be as traumatized as it was the first time. Your labor should be faster too. Keep it up with those exercises, sounds like you've got a great plan. I attribute the speed of my 2nd and 3rd labors to walking. My first labor I hovered "almost in labor" having contractions and not dilating for 2 days until my doc started pitocin, and then it took 3 hours to dilate and another 3 1/2 hours of pushing. I hadn't walked much, I figured I was young and strong and wouldn't have a long labor. But with my 2nd I walked 4 miles a day and my labor totaled an hour 7 minutes start to finish including the first part that I slept through and so maybe that was overkill. My 3rd I only walked 3 miles a day, I got induced a week early because I was doing that almost in labor thing again and was 2 1/2 hours start to finish with a 9lbs 7ozs baby. So my advice to women is WALK WALK WALK!! Your entire 3rd trimester you need to devote yourself to 2-3 miles a day.
I'm also trying out some belly dance exercises this time. Not that I am coordinated enough to actually dance lmao but the exercises feel great.

I didn't find either of my epidurals worth having. The first one wore off by the time it was time to push, and when I got the one with my 2nd son they hit my spinal cord and got air in it so I was bedridden for 9 days with a spinal head ache. Worse than the labor pain if you ask me. So when it comes to pain relief this time (I'm going to try to be as natural as possible by using the bathtub and the birthing ball, but I can admit I'm a weenie and will need something) I'm going to have IV narcotics, and local in my perineum so I won't feel the tearing.

But anyway, after having as many kids as I've had I can really start rambling when it comes to birth stories!! Good luck and keep a positive attitude! Don't underestimate your ability to send yourself your own good vibes.
October 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM
aussiemummy
ELV! My second labour was completely different from my first. I delivered 9lb babies each time vaginally but with my 2nd child I recovered within days instead of weeks. Second labours are so much easier, you'll see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search