Should bars serve pregnant women?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
foxfire_ga79
And what exactly is wrong with wanting a drink?
Roll your eyes AND laugh, I don't care if you do both. I'm not going to live my life in a bubble of fear while I'm pregnant. When doctors can tell me they are sure that an occasional drink will hurt my child then I'll pay attention. But being that I'm having my 4th child and no doctor I've ever had has told me I must totally abstain or else, I'm going to take their advice at that. My doctors don't pretend things that are bad are Ok. I was RX'd Xanax before I got pregnant and my doctors firmly put their foot down telling me there is absolutely no safe dose of it during pregnancy. No if's and's or but's. That has never been the attitude my doctors have had regarding alcohol.
No doctor I've ever had has indicated that drinking is as bad as smoking. So if it is, I'd really like to know.
October 19th, 2009, 09:42 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
The effects of drinking alcohol during pregnancy are also alarming. In fact, the consumption of alcohol during pregnancy is the leading cause of birth defects. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) is a collection of defects that may include any combination of reduced growth (before or after birth), facial deformities, a small head (likely related to reduction of brain size), and abnormal behavioral development.

FAS is by far the most common non-hereditary cause of mental retardation. In addition, pregnant women who drink are more likely to miscarry. Children of mothers who drank during pregnancy are more likely to have severe behavioral problems and attention deficit disorders, even if they have no obvious physical defects.

October 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Happy Feet.
This is something that I can't decide on the right answer for. I don't know if a bartender has the right to tell somebody that they are not allowed to buy a drink for themselves.

When my friend was pregnant, she went on pubcrawls - she drank water while she was on them - and had people yell at her for endangering the baby. She went on said pubcrawls so that she'd see people, most of whom weren't drinking anyway.
October 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
And what exactly is wrong with wanting a drink?
Roll your eyes AND laugh, I don't care if you do both. I'm not going to live my life in a bubble of fear while I'm pregnant. When doctors can tell me they are sure that an occasional drink will hurt my child then I'll pay attention. But being that I'm having my 4th child and no doctor I've ever had has told me I must totally abstain or else, I'm going to take their advice at that. My doctors don't pretend things that are bad are Ok. I was RX'd Xanax before I got pregnant and my doctors firmly put their foot down telling me there is absolutely no safe dose of it during pregnancy. No if's and's or but's. That has never been the attitude my doctors have had regarding alcohol.
No doctor I've ever had has indicated that drinking is as bad as smoking. So if it is, I'd really like to know.

October 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I honestly thought a bartender could refuse anyone if they wanted to. Hmmm.

I also don't know how one would tell if a woman was pregnant for sure. I have been asked if I was pregnant before when I was overweight. It sucked. lol! It was actually that comment that made me lose weight!! Anyway, if someone was like "hey, I am pregnant so we are out celebrating. Give me a shot." I think the bartender should say "go buy it and drink at home. What the F is wrong with you?" HAHA!

ETA: JM edits "What the F?" well the first letters. ***?

W T F ? <<< This works.

Last edited by *Jillian*; October 19th, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
October 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think we have a right as a society to go this far...so yes I think she should be served whether we like it or not. Plus as others have said - it brings up a LOT of problems...such as, would a bartender then be liable for serving pg women & how do we determine when a bartender should know someone is pg & what if the woman wasn't far enough along to show...??

It's funny because I guess I just think a woman has the right to do any legal activity she could do before pg while she is pg. Some of those might be bad ideas...but they are legal nonetheless & just because she is carrying a baby shouldn't automatically change her rights. That is crazy.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
aussiemummy
I'm just curious....everyones all concerned about the mothers right since it's her body. Well what about the babys rights? I just shake my head and start to get mad reading some of these. The baby should be the most important thing and everyones worried about the mothers rights. Whatever.
October 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't be comfortable with serving her, but it's her body and if she wants to risk it, then it's none of my business to tell her not to.

October 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
I'm just curious....everyones all concerned about the mothers right since it's her body. Well what about the babys rights? I just shake my head and start to get mad reading some of these. The baby should be the most important thing and everyones worried about the mothers rights. Whatever.
I don't think people are saying "who cares" about the baby. I think they just want everyone to respect a mother's decision on how she behaves during pregnancy. We are all adults right? We should be treated as such. That's all.

October 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I don't think people are saying "who cares" about the baby. I think they just want everyone to respect a mother's decision on how she behaves during pregnancy. We are all adults right? We should be treated as such. That's all.
So if I started using heroin while pregnant I guess that would be okay because it's my body? When does this end? Instead of worrying about the mothers rights, there needs to be rights for the child.
October 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
So if I started using heroin while pregnant I guess that would be okay because it's my body? When does this end? Instead of worrying about the mothers rights, there needs to be rights for the child.
And it's a bartender's responsibility to enforce those rights...?

In all seriousness, once we start limiting an individual's personal liberties because she's pregnant we get into some very scary waters. Yes, it sucks when some women don't act responsibly, but the alternative is much worse for us as a society.

October 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
aussiemummy
Everyone is so concerned with the government telling us what to do that they're forgetting that an innocent child is suffering. I'll never understand. But then again, it's not really a baby until it's born right?
October 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Everyone is so concerned with the government telling us what to do that they're forgetting that an innocent child is suffering. I'll never understand. But then again, it's not really a baby until it's born right?
You bet we are. This is America...and our rights are important no matter if we are pregnant or not. Everyone SHOULD use good judgment, but it isn't the government's place to tell me what to do with my body while pregnant. You don't become government property because you are carrying a child. Your rights as an adult are always important and all anyone can do is provide information on how to keep your baby safe and healthy.

October 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think you know full well that heroin is not legal & is not "okay" whether pg or not, man or woman, etc.....

This falls in the same thing like other rights. I don't want anyone raising their child to be a nazi skin head either, but I believe I cannot tell another person what they can & can't teach their child. It isn't that I don't care - I just respect boundaries.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I don't get this, you are all over the goverment not telling us what to do and to use good judgement but what about the gov. putting age limits on smoking, drinking,driving,when to vote and much more
Is those wrong to then? I mean, it is YOUR body right?
so if you want to drink at 19 years, its YOUR body? yet the goverment can still tell you it is illigal

Get my point?

There is already plenty of limits/laws there to protect the people
so why would it be SO horrid if they used a law to protect that fetus? she is after all serving her fetus as she drinks ; its serving an underage, right?

Also, i must add i don't understand what the comparing between the pregnant vs. nazi guy is from, seeing how the nazi guy IS NOT carrying another person inside him it can't be compared

October 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The point is we are free to make a number of choices, whether those choices are good or bad. Those freedoms shouldn't be taken away simply because we're pregnant. When we conceive, our bodies don't become public property.

And though you may believe that a glass of wine while pregnant is awful, as an adult, I'm free to educate myself and make a choice based on what I've learned and not based on what I'm told (to borrow a choice line from aussiemommie's oh-so-apt signature blinkie).

That freedom is very important to me, pregnant or not.

What I'm saying is this has nothing to do with the alcohol and everything to do with having the same rights and freedoms as everyone else.
October 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekinna2402 View Post
I don't get this, you are all over the goverment not telling us what to do and to use good judgement but what about the gov. putting age limits on smoking, drinking,driving,when to vote and much more
Is those wrong to then? I mean, it is YOUR body right?
so if you want to drink at 19 years, its YOUR body? yet the goverment can still tell you it is illigal

Get my point?

There is already plenty of limits/laws there to protect the people
so why would it be SO horrid if they used a law to protect that fetus? she is after all serving her fetus as she drinks ; its serving an underage, right?

Also, i must add i don't understand what the comparing between the pregnant vs. nazi guy is from, seeing how the nazi guy IS NOT carrying another person inside him it can't be compared

I absolutely agree with you. Why would it be so awful to have a law to protect the baby? I don't see why there aren't laws in place already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
I'm free to educate myself and make a choice based on what I've learned and not based on what I'm told (to borrow a choice line from aussiemommie's oh-so-apt signature blinkie).

That freedom is very important to me, pregnant or not.

What I'm saying is this has nothing to do with the alcohol and everything to do with having the same rights and freedoms as everyone else.
It has everything to do with the alcohol, this is why we're debating it. Whichever way you look at it, it's not sensible to drink while pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
You bet we are. This is America...and our rights are important no matter if we are pregnant or not. Everyone SHOULD use good judgment, but it isn't the government's place to tell me what to do with my body while pregnant. You don't become government property because you are carrying a child. Your rights as an adult are always important and all anyone can do is provide information on how to keep your baby safe and healthy.
If I was putting my children in harms way I would be in alot of trouble with the authorities. Why doesn't a baby have the same right?
October 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
I absolutely agree with you. Why would it be so awful to have a law to protect the baby? I don't see why there aren't laws in place already.

It has everything to do with the alcohol, this is why we're debating it. Whichever way you look at it, it's not sensible to drink while pregnant.

If I was putting my children in harms way I would be in alot of trouble with the authorities. Why doesn't a baby have the same right?

I understand what you are saying but do you agree there has to be limits somewhere? Do you think it is harmful to give babies soda? I do, but I don't think there should be a law against it. Do you think it is harmful to let your toddler watch hours of TV a day? I do, but I don't think there should be a law against it. Do you think it is harmful if children don't get exercise? I do, but I don't think there should be a law against couch potato parents.
We shouldn't make everything that is harmful against the law. Yes, people will make bad decisions and sometimes those decisions will negatively affect their children but unfortunately that is life and we value our freedom in this country.

But I've already said I think a bar should be able to deny service to anybody and everybody - if you own a business you should do whatever the h*ll you want and if people don't like it they certainly don't have to support your business.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search