Log In Sign Up

Should bars serve pregnant women?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #81  
October 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
I know this thread is going in a bunch of different directions but why should the rights of a woman override the rights of the business owner? As I've already said, I think a business owner should be able to serve or deny service to anyone. Why shouldn't the business owner be able to deny service to a pregnant woman? The pregnant woman could just find another bar that would serve her - thus the bar owner and the pregnant woman both get they want in the free market
No, I totally agree with you! I know this debate HAS gone in a bunch of different directions and it makes it hard to state my true opinions when I feel the need to debate the rights of a mother. My family has a business too and if we served alcohol I think we should have the right to refuse service to a pregnant woman and if that made the business suffer then it would be on us. It is our right as a business.

I don't think the government should step in and tell a woman what to do with her body. That is all I was saying
__________________

















Reply With Quote
  #82  
October 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
This sounds kind of crappy, but if I owned a bar, I wouldn't let my bartenders refuse to serve pregnant women in case they refused to serve someone who just looked pregnant. That would be a PR nightmare and would probably make national news if the woman went to the media. "Bar refuses to serve woman because she's fat." Not good.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #83  
October 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
This sounds kind of crappy, but if I owned a bar, I wouldn't let my bartenders refuse to serve pregnant women in case they refused to serve someone who just looked pregnant. That would be a PR nightmare and would probably make national news if the woman went to the media. "Bar refuses to serve woman because she's fat." Not good.
I see this side of it too.
__________________

















Reply With Quote
  #84  
October 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
aussiemummy
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by childofmusic View Post
Why? Why is the baby more important then the mother?
I'm not sure why you would ask that question. My kids are of course more important than myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
So basically what you're saying is you think a fetus should have equal rights as someone who's already been born?
YES YES YES!!!!! Why shouldn't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
We have to keep a mother's rights protected because she is living
The baby isn't living? I'm not sure how people decided the fetus isn't a baby or whatever until it's born.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
October 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
I'm not sure why you would ask that question. My kids are of course more important than myself...
Okay, but do you want the law to treat them as more important than yourself? I can't believe that you really think the government should have the right to override you as a parent. There's evidence that suggests circumcision helps prevent the spread of HIV and other STDs. How would you feel if the government legislated mandatory circumcision for all newborns because the child is more important than the parents? If there's even the slight chance of the procedure preventing a deadly disease, then there should be a law in place to protect the baby, right? (I have no interest in turning this into a circumcision debate; I'm just trying to illustrate a parallel.)
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #86  
October 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
aussiemummy
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Okay, but do you want the law to treat them as more important than yourself? I can't believe that you really think the government should have the right to override you as a parent. There's evidence that suggests circumcision helps prevent the spread of HIV and other STDs. How would you feel if the government legislated mandatory circumcision for all newborns because the child is more important than the parents? If there's even the slight chance of the procedure preventing a deadly disease, then there should be a law in place to protect the baby, right? (I have no interest in turning this into a circumcision debate; I'm just trying to illustrate a parallel.)
Hmm I see your point now. Given me something to think about.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
October 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver metro area
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess is Write View Post
Okay, but do you want the law to treat them as more important than yourself? I can't believe that you really think the government should have the right to override you as a parent. There's evidence that suggests circumcision helps prevent the spread of HIV and other STDs. How would you feel if the government legislated mandatory circumcision for all newborns because the child is more important than the parents? If there's even the slight chance of the procedure preventing a deadly disease, then there should be a law in place to protect the baby, right? (I have no interest in turning this into a circumcision debate; I'm just trying to illustrate a parallel.)

Good example. I don't think the issue of a pregnant woman being aloud to drink is really about how "important" the baby is - I see is as more about the fact that we shouldn't have laws prohibiting EVERY bad or questionable decision.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0