Children at protests

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
What do you think of children being at protests or picketing? Especially when it's involving issues they aren't capable of understanding fully. IE: protests against Abortion, LGBT, etc.
Do you think it's unfair for the children to be there? Do you think they should be holding up signs they can't even explain? Do you think they are brainwashed into doing it?
The reason I posted this is because I just saw this video.
The People God Hates - iReport.com
This debate isn't about the video itself just the children in it. Also, I don't mean in a legal sense, I just mean morally.
Edited to rephrase a sentence.

Last edited by melkissa2004; October 19th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
October 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, I think it could be considered child abuse in some situations.

I have had an abortion. The most horrifying of the experience was a mother outside of the clinic with 2 young kids (one looked to be about 2, the other maybe 5) saying in unison "Please don't kill your baby, your baby loves you, god doesn't want you to kill your child" holding up signs of aborted fetuses. It was sick and disgusting and all I wanted to do was yell at the mother for subjecting her children to that. Teach your kid abortion is wrong if you want, but to put them in that kind of situation is sick and wrong.

Just my thoughts though.
October 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ummmmm....hm. My parents brought me to political protests/marches when I was young. I dont think it was so bad. It was clean, and respectful protesting. I guess it depends on the type of protest.

October 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
foxfire_ga79
I think people shouldn't be coerced into protesting something they don't understand. I have strong opinions just like everybody else in this world and I wouldn't have my kids at a protest. They don't know what they believe in yet.
I didn't watch the video, is it those freaks from Westboro in Wichita? I get too upset at everything they say and won't watch them or read anything from them.
Also I think kids don't belong at protests because you don't know if/when they will turn violent. I know MOST of the time most people there are safe, but when dealing with such strong emotions from people there's no need to potentially endanger the kids.
October 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I think people shouldn't be coerced into protesting something they don't understand. I have strong opinions just like everybody else in this world and I wouldn't have my kids at a protest. They don't know what they believe in yet.
I didn't watch the video, is it those freaks from Westboro in Wichita? I get too upset at everything they say and won't watch them or read anything from them.
Also I think kids don't belong at protests because you don't know if/when they will turn violent. I know MOST of the time most people there are safe, but when dealing with such strong emotions from people there's no need to potentially endanger the kids.
October 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that it depends on the protest. On the whole, I don't think its wrong for children to be there and learn that it is another way for their voices to be heard. If its a protest thats known for people getting out of hand, then its probably best to leave the children at home. As far as holding signs, parents can usually make signs "kid appropriate".

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
October 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was younger, my mom would bring me to events like Moms Against War or Take Back the Night walks. It was all pretty low-key, family-oriented stuff though. No damage here.

It's funny though because I'm really stuck on this question.

I would probably bring my kids along to, say, an anti-Prop 8 rally/event (provided it was family-focused and not heated), but then again, I'd probably be horrified if I saw someone else bring their kids to an anti-LGBT rally. Soooo.....clearly I have some double standard issues I need to sort out or maybe it's just a case of this not always being cut and dry. For example, maybe the difference is are we talking about a low-key family picnic in support of a cause or a heated protest with signs, yelling and the potential for violence?
October 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I agree that it depends on the protest. On the whole, I don't think its wrong for children to be there and learn that it is another way for their voices to be heard. If its a protest thats known for people getting out of hand, then its probably best to leave the children at home. As far as holding signs, parents can usually make signs "kid appropriate".
This.

The only type of protest I can really see myself taking him to is a civil rights rally. I wouldn't take him before he can articulate why he's there, though. Kids at protests are a magnet for news cameras, and I want to make sure he would be able to handle himself with a reporter.

I'll at the very least take him to a peaceful protest at some point so he can see one of our Constitutional rights at work, even if we're not active participants.

October 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
I think it is fine as long as a parent is not putting his/her child in physical danger. But I'm also one that thinks it is baloney to say that a parent teaching a child his/her values and beliefs is brainwashing the child.
October 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
I think it depends on the type of protest as well. If there was any chance things could get ugly I would leave my children at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
I think it is fine as long as a parent is not putting his/her child in physical danger. But I'm also one that thinks it is baloney to say that a parent teaching a child his/her values and beliefs is brainwashing the child.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

Last edited by $pryNinja; October 19th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
October 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I have taken my dd to a protest on the government provincial steps to fund midwifery, I have had her in my MLA's office while discussing it and I've taken her to two breastfeeding challenges. I would never bring her to a protest that I would forsee any violence and I would take her out of there immediately if the peaceful protest's atmosphere changed..
October 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM
aussiemummy
I wouldn't take my kids to a protest, I think that should be an adults only thing. And making kids hold up signs isn't right IMO.

We need to let children believe what they want to believe, not believe in something just because the parents do.
October 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
If a person wants to take their child along on a protest that they're clueless about, then that's their prerogative. But for the love of everything holy, just do a freaking spell check and grammar check on your signs before holding them up in the air. That's what gets on my last nerve.

October 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^

I think it depends on the protest too although I personally (since I can't use caps- I must use italics ) wouldn't take Olivia to any protest...

October 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I just wanted to point out it's not that we're using our kids in anyway, we just can't always get childcare for a peaceful protest.
October 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
If a person wants to take their child along on a protest that they're clueless about, then that's their prerogative. But for the love of everything holy, just do a freaking spell check and grammar check on your signs before holding them up in the air. That's what gets on my last nerve.

Thanks Carla!!! my thoughts exactly. Seriously, I would get a babysitter before bring small kids to protest. If my kids want to join me, they need to be teens where they can make up their own mind on an issue. Too much can happen, and lack of bathrooms nearby...little ones can stay home.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
October 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think as long as it is peaceful & espcially when it involves children (like birthing rights, nursing rights, etc) it makes perfect sense to me to bring your child. I mean for pete's sake - a "nurse in" is a peaceful protest & you can't very well nurse without your child there.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
So what do you think of mothers who bring LO's to a protest?
October 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswordwiz View Post
Thanks Carla!!! my thoughts exactly. Seriously, I would get a babysitter before bring small kids to protest. If my kids want to join me, they need to be teens where they can make up their own mind on an issue. Too much can happen, and lack of bathrooms nearby...little ones can stay home.
Both places we were at had public washrooms ~ plus it is just normal planning in general.

I was wondering if you've ever been at a peaceful protest before?

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); October 19th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
October 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My parents took my sister and I to a peaceful abortion protest when we were kids. It was a little strange because they never did anything like that before or after, and I think it was a single event organized by our church. It was on the side of a road (not near a clinic) and as far as I can recall none of the signs were the horrific graphic ones. The main thing I remember was being really bored and just wanting to read a book.

I agree that if the protest doesn't appear likely to be violent than there is no reason not to take them.

I don't get the idea that bringing them to a protest is brainwashing, though. If the parents are passionate enough about an issue won't they be teaching it to their children regardless of whether they actively protest it? How is teaching your children your values automatically brainwashing?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search