Gay Marriage - Rights - Where do you stand?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswordwiz View Post
I am 100% for equal rights here also.

I would not have a problem with my teen hearing that when shes a bit older and in HS.
Ditto to this and everyone else.
October 21st, 2009, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No matter how far apart we are on all the various topics on this board, I am so proud of the acceptance by all on this topic. I hope our views can make their way into the general population!

100% for gay rights. There should not have to be a "vote" to determine whether or not they can marry.
October 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
aussiemummy
There is no vote for a male and female to get married, so not sure why gays get discriminated against.

When is religion going to stop running everything?
October 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
In this day and age, you are definitely in the minority if you have a problem with gay unions/marriages.

October 21st, 2009, 07:27 AM
aussiemummy
Not in my town. You are the miniority if you're open minded.
October 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Wow Dayna! Really?

I guess with me living in one of the biggest gay meccas in the world; it's no problem as it shouldn't be.

October 21st, 2009, 07:35 AM
aussiemummy
I should move down there. Here in my town in Indiana if you're not white and straight you're not right. All I hear is racist/gay comments. Bunch of close minded fools live here.
October 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol Why would anyone against gay marriage sacrifice themselves to this pack of angry wolves? It would be a blood bath!

This usually isn't much of a debate here on JM. Most people who are against gay rights understand that going into this sort of debate will just open themselves to name calling and that's about it. Being against something doesn't make a person hateful or close-minded. You could argue the opposite of people FOR gay marriage, actually. You see the anger and hate towards those who think it's wrong all the time, and one could also argue that people for gay marriage are close-minded towards the idea that perhaps gay marriage is wrong, could you not?

But alas, neither side of the gay marriage debate should use name calling and neither side should use blanket statements. It doesn't do much for their cause. There are people who are hateful towards gays, and there are people who are close-minded, but simply being against gay marriage doesn't make a person close-minded or hateful.

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

October 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicyur View Post
There are people who are hateful towards gays, and there are people who are close-minded, but simply being against gay marriage doesn't make a person close-minded or hateful.
True, but more often than not I don't see "I don't believe in gay marriage but I'm okay with being gay" (which still makes no sense to me, but besides that point...) I see more often the remarks of "Being gay is wrong, it's bad, it's disgusting, gay people shouldn't adopt because they will make the kids be gay, gay people don't make good parents" and those remarks DO seem close-minded and hateful to me.

But to me personally, I believe being against gay marriage is close minded, especially if they dont marry in a church. Heck, there are churches that will marry gays.... so I can't wrap my head outside of the religious standpoint for someone to be against gay marriage and not want to be deemed as close minded. In my mind, I just don't understand how one can be against it outside of their religious views (which already stated, some churches do accept it) because to me, there is no other logical reason to be against it.
October 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
In this day and age, you are definitely in the minority if you have a problem with gay unions/marriages.

Obviously not, Georgia voted to ban gay marriage. I believe it was somewhere in the area of 75% of the vote here was against gay marriage.
Even in Cali you're obviously not in the minority if you're against gay marriage.

Scroll down to see Georgia's results on the vote of what marriages get recognized here.
ABC News: Elections 2004 Coverage

Last edited by foxfire_ga79; October 21st, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
October 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Obviously not, Georgia voted to ban gay marriage. I believe it was somewhere in the area of 75% of the vote here was against gay marriage.
Even in Cali you're obviously not in the minority if you're against gay marriage.

Scroll down to see Georgia's results on the vote of what marriages get recognized here.
ABC News: Elections 2004 Coverage

2004? Almost 6 years ago?

October 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
foxfire_ga79
The election was in November 2004, so not even 5 years ago yet let alone 6. And what's wrong with using the most recent vote? Has enough of Georgia changed that you really think we can be called a gay mecca? If even California can't get a simple majority vote 1 year ago then I really have no faith that Georgia is suddenly all for gays.
October 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM
Quote:
The election was in November 2004, so not even 5 years ago yet let alone 6. And what's wrong with using the most recent vote? Has enough of Georgia changed that you really think we can be called a gay mecca? If even California can't get a simple majority vote 1 year ago then I really have no faith that Georgia is suddenly all for gays.
Seriously? Ok...five or six years ago..close enough. And YES, I do think GA has changed enough since then. By changed, I'm meaning 5 years worth of citizens that can now vote that couldn't vote in 2004. That equates to thousands and thousands of votes, plus some. And, Atlanta is always referred to as one of the gay meccas..guessing you were not aware of that.

October 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Seriously? Ok...five or six years ago..close enough. And YES, I do think GA has changed enough since then. By changed, I'm meaning 5 years worth of citizens that can now vote that couldn't vote in 2004. That equates to thousands and thousands of votes, plus some. And, Atlanta is always referred to as one of the gay meccas..guessing you were not aware of that.
It is my hope that this will be overturned in my lifetime. I do not think that rural GA is ready for this, but the ATL sure as hell is!
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
October 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
foxfire_ga79
I'm fully aware that some people think Atlanta is a gay mecca, but Georgia is not and it takes the whole state to pass that vote.
Just what percentage of people do you think would vote for gay marriage now as opposed to 5 years ago, when 5 years ago the gay marriage ban passed with more than 75% of the vote? I mean, if it was like last year's Prop 8 that was roughly 52% to 48% then I'd say it's very possible that a majority vote could go in favor of gays. I'm just being realistic, I don't think Georgia is there yet. Calling it a gay mecca doesn't make it so, especially when you see what the majority of the state thinks of gay marriage. And not even a slight majority.
It's going to take more time here. 5 more years of new voters is fine if you assume that they are all in support of gay marriage.

ETA, DH says this is the way it was with alcohol sales in our county....The vote kept getting slimmer and slimmer and in time this finally quit being a dry county. It will be the same with gay marriage but when your starting point is 75% opposed it's going to take more than 5 years to make any significant change.
October 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswordwiz View Post
It is my hope that this will be overturned in my lifetime. I do not think that rural GA is ready for this, but the ATL sure as hell is!
Agreed! I'm sure a majority of those 2004 votes came from the rural areas of GA. I grew up in one of those SUPER rural areas so I know how they think. A large majority of people have surely evolved since then.

October 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think that the mood of the politicans with the upcoming governors race and Legsislature election will be a test to see if this cannot be overturned. Because this is one of the more conservative states in the US, it may take a while. Hopefully people will get their heads out of their collective behinds and realize that gay marriage won't hurt them...its not a freaking disease.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

October 21st, 2009, 08:50 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Agreed! I'm sure a majority of those 2004 votes came from the rural areas of GA. I grew up in one of those SUPER rural areas so I know how they think. A large majority of people have surely evolved since then.

I still live out here, there doesn't appear to be many signs of evolution. I'm just glad they speak English---ever been to rural extreme southwest Virginia? You need a translator!
October 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Quote:
I still live out here, there doesn't appear to be many signs of evolution. I'm just glad they speak English---ever been to rural extreme southwest Virginia? You need a translator!
Hell my Great Lakes behind needs a translator in my area. Good thing I married a Southern Bubba....
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

October 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Quote:
I'm fully aware that some people think Atlanta is a gay mecca, but Georgia is not and it takes the whole state to pass that vote.
Just what percentage of people do you think would vote for gay marriage now as opposed to 5 years ago, when 5 years ago the gay marriage ban passed with more than 75% of the vote? I mean, if it was like last year's Prop 8 that was roughly 52% to 48% then I'd say it's very possible that a majority vote could go in favor of gays. I'm just being realistic, I don't think Georgia is there yet. Calling it a gay mecca doesn't make it so, especially when you see what the majority of the state thinks of gay marriage. And not even a slight majority.
It's going to take more time here. 5 more years of new voters is fine if you assume that they are all in support of gay marriage.

ETA, DH says this is the way it was with alcohol sales in our county....The vote kept getting slimmer and slimmer and in time this finally quit being a dry county. It will be the same with gay marriage but when your starting point is 75% opposed it's going to take more than 5 years to make any significant change.
Just because a 5 year old vote bans gay marriage does not mean that Atlanta is not a gay mecca-that simply means people don't want them married, but they are still gay. Maybe the mecca doesn't exist in northeast GA, but it's everywhere else in Atlanta. I just can't debate the validity of a 5 year old vote when the dynamics of the state have changed..nope, can't do it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search