Marijuana for labor pains?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never heard of this before, but I was just reading about the use of marijuana for pain management during childbirth. What do you think?
October 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
aussiemummy
NO! That's disgusting. No. Get an epidural, get some nubain....not marijuana.
October 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
well I'm sure its not common practice here (NA) for various reasons but in some countries I know they prescribe maryjane for morning sickness. But we are just starting to accept the medicinal uses of marijuana whereas other places have been benefiting for a longer time.

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

October 20th, 2009, 07:42 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt223 View Post
well I'm sure its not common practice here (NA) for various reasons but in some countries I know they prescribe maryjane for morning sickness. But we are just starting to accept the medicinal uses of marijuana whereas other places have been benefiting for a longer time.
Which countries? I'm shocked. Why would you smoke marijuana when you were pregnant? Totally irresponsible.
October 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the record, the stories I'm reading about are not talking medical marijuana prescribed by a doctor. They were home birthing moms or moms that smoked before going to the hospital and got the MJ on their own.
October 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
aussiemummy
Marijuana and pregnancy shouldn't go together.

When I found out I was pregnant with my son I flipped out. I had been smoking pot and I didn't know I was pregnant. I called a bunch of drug lines and medical lines and they all told me one thing - that although they're not sure about what marijuana exactly does to a baby it DOES cross the placenta they think that it may affect your baby's growth and the development of his nervous system.

Why would you risk it?
October 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
foxfire_ga79
Oh surely to goodness they're not smoking it!!
I've seen documentaries of people who need it for pain management and people make it into tea, and one woman even made it into chocolate candies and fudges.
I have no problem with medical uses of MJ, I just hope people using it for "health benefits" won't void those benefits by smoking it.
October 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I wouldn't be motivated to push the baby out if I got high while in labor. heehee.

October 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
foxfire_ga79
Well I can't agree with that. There are other ways to get benefits of it without smoke.
October 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
Which countries? I'm shocked. Why would you smoke marijuana when you were pregnant? Totally irresponsible.

can't find were I read that since it was awhile ago... but as other ladies have said if it was prescribed there are other ways of ingesting it besides smoking... see this: Medical cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see though how its any different then what the hospitals offer you for pain management. I was induced with oxitocin with Makenna and active labour came on hard and strong, I was willing to take anything to stop the pain... they gave me narcotics and an epi and Makenna was so drugged when she was born she didn't even cry and they had to observe her in another room for over an hour before I got to hold her... so if these women have been doing it without any negative affects I'd say, whatever works!

stand.

October 20th, 2009, 08:03 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I wouldn't be motivated to push the baby out if I got high while in labor. heehee.
I agree.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
October 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
A women I know (not on JM FYI) used it for morning sickness and birthpain and to relax after having her kids (she has two).
She is all for it and we have had several debates on the subject

I think it's wrong on all levels to use marijuana even near kids and most certainly not with the child inside you!

October 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
aussiemummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekinna2402 View Post
A women I know (not on JM FYI) used it for morning sickness and birthpain and to relax after having her kids (she has two).
She is all for it and we have had several debates on the subject

I think it's wrong on all levels to use marijuana even near kids and most certainly not with the child inside you!
Yep my friend too. With all five of hers.

If you're not going to take care of yourself and your unborn child, don't ******* get pregnant.
October 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Not that I'm pro MJ or anything, but really what is the difference between MJ and the other narcotics the doctors give you for pain relief like Demerol etc? I guess I can't understand why people are okay with a doctor prescribed narcotic vs MJ. To me they are both narcotics.

October 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
Not that I'm pro MJ or anything, but really what is the difference between MJ and the other narcotics the doctors give you for pain relief like Demerol etc? I guess I can't understand why people are okay with a doctor prescribed narcotic vs MJ. To me they are both narcotics.
marijuana is not a narcotic!!!

"Use of the word "narcotic" to refer to any illegal or unlawfully possessed drug including marijuana and cocaine is common worldwide, although these substances are not considered narcotics in a medical context."

Narcotic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marijuana (Cannabis) Fact Sheet

stand.

October 20th, 2009, 09:12 AM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
I don't see how it's any worse than any other pain management drug during labor.

October 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont see how it is any worse either. I dont understand why people would get all up in arms over marijuana, and not an epi or shot of morphine while in labour. Also a lot of people take vicodin/pain killers, or anti depressants or anti anxiety meds while pregnant.....they are ALL DRUGS. Its just that marijuana is illegal. For the record, I did not smoke while pregnant/in labour/now.

October 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
foxfire_ga79
Well I'm personally not against using MJ for medical purposes including labor pain relief. I was just saying I don't think smoking it is the best way to get it. I'll take a few pounds of fudge, thanks. I mean, who wants her midwife to have a contact buzz, doesn't at least someone in the room need to have a clear head?
And I don't think a PP was trying to say that MJ is a narcotic, I think she was just drawing a comparison that a drug is a drug and if you're Ok with narcotics in labor there's not much point being against MJ. I don't want to put words in her mouth, that's just the impression I got.
October 20th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Well I'm personally not against using MJ for medical purposes including labor pain relief. I was just saying I don't think smoking it is the best way to get it. I'll take a few pounds of fudge, thanks. I mean, who wants her midwife to have a contact buzz, doesn't at least someone in the room need to have a clear head?
And I don't think a PP was trying to say that MJ is a narcotic, I think she was just drawing a comparison that a drug is a drug and if you're Ok with narcotics in labor there's not much point being against MJ. I don't want to put words in her mouth, that's just the impression I got.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search