New Oklahoma Law...WHY

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
I can see the State Dept. of Health needing this information for statistical reasons, but what's the purpose of posting it on a public website for everyone to see? I don't live in OK, but for some reason this new law is not sitting well with my soul. I think it can turn into an invasion of privacy if two and two can be put together for someone that lives in a small area and is having an abortion performed.

Quote:
A new Oklahoma law requires physicians to disclose detailed information on women's abortions to the State's Department Of Health, which will then post the collected data on a public website. The controversial measure comes into effect on November 1 and will cost $281,285 to implement, $256,285 each subsequent year to maintain.

Oklahoma women undergoing abortion procedures will be legally forced to reveal:

1) Date of abortion
2) Country in which abortion is performed
3) Age of mother
4) Marital status of mother
5) Race of mother
6) Years of education of mother
7) State or foreign country of residence of mother
8) Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother
And I definitely agree with this:
Quote:
Feminists For Choice argues, "In reviewing the actual text of the law, the first 8 questions that will be asked and reported could easily be used to identify any member of a smaller community."
Oklahoma Abortion Law: Details To Be Publicly Posted Online - Democratic Underground

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this new law. And the cost... Your thoughts?

Last edited by BonitaAppleBomb; October 20th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
October 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM
foxfire_ga79
I was wanting to post this but not sure if we would be allowed to discuss it, but since it's posted now I'm not going to be shy with my opinion.
I THINK THIS IS HORRIBLE!!! What the crap happened to patient privacy? HIPAA? This is a medical procedure, since when is that ANYONE's business??
This can't possibly lead to anything good. Can you imagine the field day cyber stalkers are going to have with this? This is going to cause women to be harassed, maybe even attacked or have her property vandalized. If family or co workers found out, the woman's life could be made a living hell. As if needing an abortion isn't bad enough on its own, why add all this on top of it!??
I'm pretty upset from reading this. I think posting people's private medical information is wrong on EVERY level.
October 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
No no no no no. Wrong on so many levels.

October 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awful.

October 20th, 2009, 09:02 PM
This is a train wreck in the making....poor women. I think it will force some women to lie about their personal information as well as send some women to other states to get abortions performed. If I lived in OK and was put in the predicament of needing an abortion, I'd most definitely go to another state to have it done and/or lie about my personal information...no joke.

October 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I can only imagine the only purpose of this law is to shame women into not getting abortions.

October 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Do the laws apply to all residents of Oklahoma that receive abortions or is it info of women that get abortions in OK?

Since when is it legal for a dr. to give out personal information on his/her patients?

Super crappy.

ETA: My question even confused me. My reason for asking is they ask what country the abortion was performed in. Ummm...if it is information obtained from all Oklahoma abortions then this question is pretty stupid.

Last edited by *Jillian*; October 20th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
October 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What?! Doesn't that violate HIPAA???

October 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Do the laws apply to all residents of Oklahoma that receive abortions or is it info of women that get abortions in OK?

Since when is it legal for a dr. to give out personal information on his/her patients?

Super crappy.
Jillian, I'm thinking it's the bolded, but someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking if you get an abortion in OK, this new law will apply to you..whether you're a permanent resident there or not. But knowing this information, I don't see why anyone would even want to use an OK clinic for that.

October 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
Jillian, I'm thinking it's the bolded, but someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking if you get an abortion in OK, this new law will apply to you..whether you're a permanent resident there or not. But knowing this information, I don't see why anyone would even want to use an OK clinic for that.
I edited my post to explain myself better.

Why do they ask what country it is performed in???? lol.

October 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Quote:

Super crappy.

ETA: My question even confused me. My reason for asking is they ask what country the abortion was performed in. Ummm...if it is information obtained from all Oklahoma abortions then this question is pretty stupid.
I wondered about the bolded as well. I wonder if they meant COUNTY instead of COUNTRY. Does OK group their cities into counties like a lot of other states do? I don't know.

October 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaAppleBomb View Post
I wondered about the bolded as well. I wonder if they meant COUNTY instead of COUNTRY. Does OK group their cities into counties like a lot of other states do? I don't know.
That is probably what they meant.

October 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Quote:
That is probably what they meant.
Absolutely...because it's obvious if they're sitting in an office in OK what country they're in (for most anyway.....they shouldn't have made that typo on such a controversial issue...but still it's just BAD all around.

October 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Huffington Post has it right. It is COUNTY for sure. It just made me giggle to think they asked what country.

October 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Totally a wrong thing to do and has to violate HIPPA.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know if it legally violates HIPAA, since HIPAA protects "identifiable" information. If it doesn't violate it, it certainly borders it. However, I do agree that in a small community, it would be easy for people to guess correctly at who it was.

This is the HIPAA website, for anyone who isn't pregnant, exhausted, and just took a sleeping pill (don't worry, its from my OB and safe, same main ingredient as Benadryl) who can still read and process said written words.

For Consumers

And to add, I am totally not defending the law. I just mean if it doesn't violate HIPAA it explains why they can get away with it legally, even though its still wrong and unethical.

Last edited by Jarheadwed; October 20th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
October 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Totally wrong. It seems more like an agenda to pick out "groups" which have abortions more, and use that knowledge to unfairly target them. So screwed up. It's like "Well we know lots of 19 year old dropouts had abortions last year, in fact, 30% of them had previous abortions and they are single and most of them Asian, well now we need to target that group to stop it!" Ummm... wth..... Jackasses.
October 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
irishxrose
Totally wrong on so many levels. I can see this being challenged legally.
October 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wrong ! I feel this does violate HIIPA and I hope someone will sue to shut this down.
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
October 21st, 2009, 01:12 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do think it is wrong. I have used info that collects overall what the average age, marital status & education of women getting abortions is though to get my mom to understand it isn't a bunch of young teens. This is far too identifying though & I think the info I found was voluntarily submitted. If women WANT to offer info that is one thing, to require it is beyond ridiculous.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search