Babywise

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
A friend of mine, with a new baby, posted on her facebook that her two week old daughter still had her days and nights mixed up and solicited advice and I was a little suprised to see six or seven people recommend "Babywise" to her as an excellent source of parenting advice.

Is anyone else a fan or proponent of Gary Ezzo's methods? Given all of the information that has come out and the controversy surrounding Babywise, I didn't know anyone still subscribed to his methods. Even the AAP has raised concerns about Babywise.

What are your thoughts on the "baby training" methods of Gary Ezzo?

November 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been around the debate boards in quite awhile, but I have to pop back in on this one and say NO! I am not in favor of absolutes when it comes to parenting, but NO ONE should use this method. It's cruel.

I remember there was a debate on this some time ago, and it really cemented how evil and disgusting that man is for me. He doesn't even have any real qualifications.

(Can you tell I feel very passionately about this subject?)
Lisa
November 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
aussiemummy
Seems abit whacky to me. I don't know much about it but what I did hear was night time feedings are eliminated at 8 weeks. Why? If the baby wakes up hungry at night, feed them.
November 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
irishxrose
Babywise is borderline abuse, in my opinion.

And it is horrible for breastfeeding moms.
November 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, nighttime feedings (or going to your baby at all) are supposed to be eliminated at 8 weeks.

I realized after I wrote my last post that I should probably come back with some links to back my opinion up... so here's a couple.

AAP Media Alert on Scheduled Feedings
AAP News article questions Babywise
November 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
lilflower
Wow. After reading some and what Lisa just linked. That is nonsense! I'm not big on setting schedules for infants anyways because their needs change but to really just not go to your baby at night is ridiculous. Diapers need to be changed and babies are supposed to be fed at least every 3 hours.
November 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Gee,I wish I would have known I didn't have to nurse 24/7 to increase my supply. I only needed to nurse 6-7 times a day? That would have been awesome info.

(please note sarcasm)

Well, there is SOME truth to it. Fed-on-demand babies often don't sleep through the night by 8 weeks. Because they're babies. And require food. Go figure. But he's right.. they don't sleep through the night often.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; November 24th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
November 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I would never use any Babywise method nor would I recommend it to anyone else. In fact I may even consider parents who use those methods to be borderline abusive/neglectful.

November 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I have nothing good to say about Babywise methods.

November 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think parents who use Babywise intend to harm their babies, but I do call reason and logic into question when a parent reads this, and still decides to implement this with their baby.

Lisa
November 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
Babywise makes me want to vomit. I can't believe anyone still subsribes to this awful method.

November 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
That book is horrible. Someone gave it to me as a gift and, not knowing anything about it, I started reading it. He had me in tears, semi-convinced that I was permanently damaging my baby's IQ by breastfeeding him on demand every hour, until I decided to crosscheck the book online and realized that he is a total non-scientist whacko who bases most of his policies on his own weird interpretation of the Bible. This is probably one of the worst approaches to "sleep management" for babies that I have ever heard of.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
November 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
foxfire_ga79
So the trick to getting your baby to sleep overnight is to just ignore them? I've been doing it wrong all these years!?!? Here I was thinking babies actually had to be taken care of.
November 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
So the trick to getting your baby to sleep overnight is to just ignore them? I've been doing it wrong all these years!?!? Here I was thinking babies actually had to be taken care of.
I'm sorry to LAUGH, but that was the funniest thing I've heard. I called my mother to tell her. She replied with a, "Well darn, if I'd known that I would have just gone out all night and left you in the crib by yourself!" and started giggling.
November 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
This is one of the few items my Tanjas father ever bough us.. HAH
we had been reading it and when she was about 5-8 weeks, he was spending the night with us.. she was crying at about.. 10ish? so i went to check on her and offer her some boobages.. he followed me in there and got FURIOUS about me picking her up because babywise said that babies needed to CIO.. i told him she is never going to be CIO and to never even think about that.. then i went to pick her up again - he smacked my arm when i was about to take her so i would leave her..
Needless to say i HATE that book. HATE IT, everytime i think of it, i think of that fight which makes me so mad.

I agree that anyone who uses it is borderline abusing/neglecting their kids

November 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Someone actually recommended it to me. It was during a goodbye party for one of my friends, so it was really awkward. I just told her we feed our baby when he is hungry and I would much rather not get much sleep for awhile than ignore his needs.

November 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
LorieB's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't understand why it's so important to be on a schedule. Life is full of surprises and unexpected things. My grandma is the only person in the world I know who won't eat if she's hungry, she'll wait until 5pm on the nose for her dinner. If I'm hungry, I eat. If my kids are hungry, they eat. I think it's cruel to withhold food from anyone.

Except my dogs who are "hungry" every minute of the day

November 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I agree!
November 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Whew! I am, seriously, stunned at how many people have added a comment praising Babywise! I gave my two cents and told her to google Gary Ezzo to see why I disagree with his methods and several people jumped on my comment with "Babywise is fantastic and it worked for us" or my favorite "you are spoiling your baby if you hold her too much". Someone even suggested that she put rice in the baby's bottle! He said after a baby is ten days old you can start giving them rice to help them sleep through the night!! My head is spinning from the ignorance but I don't want to turn her status update comments into a debate, KWIM.
It is a relief to know that none of you are Babywise fans. And I completely agree with the person that said it borders on abuse/neglect. I can't imagine any intelligent person reading that book and not having even a slight reservation!!

November 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyC View Post
Whew! I am, seriously, stunned at how many people have added a comment praising Babywise! I gave my two cents and told her to google Gary Ezzo to see why I disagree with his methods and several people jumped on my comment with "Babywise is fantastic and it worked for us" or my favorite "you are spoiling your baby if you hold her too much". Someone even suggested that she put rice in the baby's bottle! He said after a baby is ten days old you can start giving them rice to help them sleep through the night!! My head is spinning from the ignorance but I don't want to turn her status update comments into a debate, KWIM.
It is a relief to know that none of you are Babywise fans. And I completely agree with the person that said it borders on abuse/neglect. I can't imagine any intelligent person reading that book and not having even a slight reservation!!
I agree. Like I said earlier, I don't think parents intend to harm their baby by using this book - but what about it is even close to ok?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search