Best authors.....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Who do you think are some of the best authors out there in book kingdom lol.What are your favorite genres?

December 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
oh, there are so many!! I love talking about books!

C.S. Lewis.

Ayn Rand - I completely disagree with her philosophy but I think she is a very talented author and I enjoy her books

Dostoyevsky

Charles Dickens

I'll come back with more this is fun!
December 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
I LOVED Sidney Sheldon-my all time favorite author. I read all of his book and was saddened when I learned he'd died.

December 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
**Badfish**'s Avatar Worth Saving
Oh Carla, you are my favorite for posting this!!

I write YA, so I spend a lot of time reading it, too. I absolutely adore John Green and Laurie Halse Anderson. Suzanne Collins is probably one of the best of the generation, as well. The Hunger Games trilogy is stunning so far. And of course, JK Rowling. I LOVE LOVE LOVE David Levithan, too. He is doing an outstanding job representing YA gay males.

For pure enjoyment, I read Janet Evanovich. That is my junk food of literature and I love it. Right now I'm reading one of her early romances because I'm waiting for a new Plum book. I've also read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books. Jennifer Weiner is another I can count on to release a book every year that I'll love. There's a theme with all of those authors, I guess. I adore strong, funny female protagonists.

I like legal and crime thrillers, although I can't stand James Patterson. I gave him a fair chance and read two of his Women's Murder Club books and hated them both. Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem was one of the best books I've read in this genre.

And the classics: Charles Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner and George Orwell. And of course, Shakespeare. I've read his complete works.

ETA: I forgot David Sedaris and Alice Sebold!! My list could go on forever.

December 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
JK Rowling, Charles Dickens......

December 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to ditto a lot of what's already been said. In addition I'd like to add Jacqueline Carey, Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, Tolkien, Anne Rice (her old novels, not the recent stuff), Max Brooks, Dean Koontz, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Douglas Adams.

I also read some YA fiction. I loved L.J. Smith growing up and I also like Cate Tiernan and K.A. Applegate.

My tastes are eclectic.

December 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
I love Dean Koontz, Steven White, Johnathan Kellerman, J.K Rowling. I'm not going to put Stephanie on list purely because although I like Twilight... her writing style is not... the best I've read (don't attack me Lash lol). I love reading horror and crime novels. I've tried to read a James Patterson but never finished it. I may have to go back to it.

December 29th, 2009, 03:26 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I love a good mystery/romance, and love anything crime related.
One of my fave authors of mystery/romance is Sandra Brown. I've read about 20 of her books and they never get old to me. I really like true crime stories.
Love the 13th tale, she's a newew author so I haven't read anything else by her yet, but I'm hoping to soon.

December 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Douglas Coupland, Margaret Atwood, Joseph Boyden, Jack Kerouac, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley.....I love books.

December 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Christy72
Jane Austen hands down for me. I love her!
December 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
irishxrose
Oh wow. Um...

Elizabeth Cunningham, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Tom Clancy, Patrick Robinson, JK Rowling, Margaret George, Phillipa Gregory, J.R.R. Tolkien, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Anya Seton, Alice Sebold, Shakespeare, Poe, Michael Crichton, George Orwell, John Steinbeck, Mary Shelley, Philip Pullman, Alice Walker, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Truman Capote, Bram Stoker, Mark Twain, HG Wells, Robert Louis Stevenson, Jeff Long, um the list can go on all day LOL.

I love books.

I found Charles Dickens to be absolute drivel. I loathed reading his books in high school and still shudder every time I think of his work.

Last edited by irishxrose; December 29th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
December 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a great book "about" Jane Austen, Christy. Its about how Pride and Prejudice and how many of the characters might qualify for an Asperger's dx (if they were real people). They certainly were quirky ~ especially Mr. Collins

I have a hard time reading Austen but do love the movies of her books. I know thats cheating.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
December 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Christy72
I love the movies too, but I have read the books many times.
December 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Ann Rule, John Saul, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, John Sandford & Sue Grafton. (Those are my most favourite authors)

I have such a massive book collection that I need an actual library to hold everything now lol

December 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
Oh wow. Um...

Elizabeth Cunningham, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Tom Clancy, Patrick Robinson, JK Rowling, Margaret George, Phillipa Gregory, J.R.R. Tolkien, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Anya Seton, Alice Sebold, Shakespeare, Poe, Michael Crichton, George Orwell, John Steinbeck, Mary Shelley, Philip Pullman, Alice Walker, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Truman Capote, Bram Stoker, Mark Twain, HG Wells, Robert Louis Stevenson, Jeff Long, um the list can go on all day LOL.

I love books.

I found Charles Dickens to be absolute drivel. I loathed reading his books in high school and still shudder every time I think of his work.

I cant believe I forgot JK Rowling. And I agree......Charles Dickens is a yawn.

December 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmama09 View Post
I love Dean Koontz, Steven White, Johnathan Kellerman, J.K Rowling. I'm not going to put Stephanie on list purely because although I like Twilight... her writing style is not... the best I've read (don't attack me Lash lol). I love reading horror and crime novels. I've tried to read a James Patterson but never finished it. I may have to go back to it.

PLUS

Anne Rice (erotic literature ), Robin Cook, Tami Hoag, Mary Higgins Clark, Jeffery Deaver, Orson Scott Card, it could go on and on I love everything at least once.
December 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM
irishxrose
OMG I forgot Orson Scott Card!! There's another one that I love.
December 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Norton Juster.
December 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
David Sedaris is my fave.

December 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
lilflower
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishxrose View Post
OMG I forgot Orson Scott Card!! There's another one that I love.
Ender's game was one of the best stories I think I've ever read. He is amazing. Honestly amazing and the attention to detail is incredible~!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search